Nightmare getting SQL Hotfixes From 2008 Installed

Mygposts

Nightmare getting SQL Hotfixes From 2008 Installed
We have several Windows XP SP2 workstation that have application installed
that need certain SQL updates according with Windows Updates and WSUS, but
they ALWAYS fail on every machine.

I spent several days with Microsoft free security update tech support
sending log files back and forth and they finally gave up saying they can't
find the cause and want me to contact SQL fee based tech support, pay them
with a credit card and then ask for a refund later.

The hotfixes that fail to install on multiple machines are:

kb948110 (most common problem update by far)
kb960082
kb954606
kb960089

This is the final response from Microsoft:

"I am sorry to tell you that as Windows Update support, we mainly focus on
the updates for Windows Operating System instead of the specific product,
such as SQL server update. Therefore, we have limited information on the
update for SQL product. To better sever you and resolve our issue in a timely
manner, I suggest contacting our SQL support
(http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2852). They have more
information on such issue. The SQL Server Support is not free, but you can
refund after they resolve the SQL Server update issue. You call
1-800-936-5700 and give the Customer Service Representative your service
request number SRX******** and credit card information. The agent will be
happy to process your refund immediately."

I don't even have access to a credit card that can be used for this purpose.

What can be done to resolve this issue?

Re: Nightmare getting SQL Hotfixes From 2008 Installed
Well, they're right. If the machines weren't workstations, you'd qualify
for no-charge support:

For *home users only*, no-charge support is available by calling
1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your
local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that your
problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number
(e.g., KB999999).

Support for Windows Update:

!!! => For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
through your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

"Mygposts" <Mygposts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have several Windows XP SP2 workstation that have application installed
> that need certain SQL updates according with Windows Updates and WSUS, but
> they ALWAYS fail on every machine.
>
> I spent several days with Microsoft free security update tech support
> sending log files back and forth and they finally gave up saying they
> can't
> find the cause and want me to contact SQL fee based tech support, pay them
> with a credit card and then ask for a refund later.
>
> The hotfixes that fail to install on multiple machines are:
>
> kb948110 (most common problem update by far)
> kb960082
> kb954606
> kb960089
>
> This is the final response from Microsoft:
>
> "I am sorry to tell you that as Windows Update support, we mainly focus on
> the updates for Windows Operating System instead of the specific product,
> such as SQL server update. Therefore, we have limited information on the
> update for SQL product. To better sever you and resolve our issue in a
> timely
> manner, I suggest contacting our SQL support
> (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2852). They have more
> information on such issue. The SQL Server Support is not free, but you can
> refund after they resolve the SQL Server update issue. You call
> 1-800-936-5700 and give the Customer Service Representative your service
> request number SRX******** and credit card information. The agent will be
> happy to process your refund immediately."
>
> I don't even have access to a credit card that can be used for this
> purpose.
>
> What can be done to resolve this issue?

Chris Wood

Re: Nightmare getting SQL Hotfixes From 2008 Installed
As a SQL DBA Windows Updates does not do SQL updates is some cases.

The articles you talked about are MS08-040,MS08-052 and MS09-004.

Looking these on MS site 948110 and 960082 are for SQL2000 and you would
only need 960082 as these are cumulative. Both 954606 and 960089 are for
SQL2005 SP2 with again 960089 being needed as these are cumulative.

Can you look at a Workstation needing 960082 and look at the services. What
can you see for SQL Server? I bet that this is possibly MSDE2000 rather than
SQL2000 and the way to tell is if the servername has /XXXXX.

Please report what you see so I can try and help.

Chris

"Mygposts" <Mygposts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have several Windows XP SP2 workstation that have application installed
> that need certain SQL updates according with Windows Updates and WSUS, but
> they ALWAYS fail on every machine.
>
> I spent several days with Microsoft free security update tech support
> sending log files back and forth and they finally gave up saying they
> can't
> find the cause and want me to contact SQL fee based tech support, pay them
> with a credit card and then ask for a refund later.
>
> The hotfixes that fail to install on multiple machines are:
>
> kb948110 (most common problem update by far)
> kb960082
> kb954606
> kb960089
>
> This is the final response from Microsoft:
>
> "I am sorry to tell you that as Windows Update support, we mainly focus on
> the updates for Windows Operating System instead of the specific product,
> such as SQL server update. Therefore, we have limited information on the
> update for SQL product. To better sever you and resolve our issue in a
> timely
> manner, I suggest contacting our SQL support
> (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2852). They have more
> information on such issue. The SQL Server Support is not free, but you can
> refund after they resolve the SQL Server update issue. You call
> 1-800-936-5700 and give the Customer Service Representative your service
> request number SRX******** and credit card information. The agent will be
> happy to process your refund immediately."
>
> I don't even have access to a credit card that can be used for this
> purpose.
>
> What can be done to resolve this issue?

Susan Bradley

Mygposts wrote:
> We have several Windows XP SP2 workstation that have application installed
> that need certain SQL updates according with Windows Updates and WSUS, but
> they ALWAYS fail on every machine.
>
> I spent several days with Microsoft free security update tech support
> sending log files back and forth and they finally gave up saying they can't
> find the cause and want me to contact SQL fee based tech support, pay them
> with a credit card and then ask for a refund later.
>
> The hotfixes that fail to install on multiple machines are:
>
> kb948110 (most common problem update by far)
> kb960082
> kb954606
> kb960089
>
> This is the final response from Microsoft:
>
> "I am sorry to tell you that as Windows Update support, we mainly focus on
> the updates for Windows Operating System instead of the specific product,
> such as SQL server update. Therefore, we have limited information on the
> update for SQL product. To better sever you and resolve our issue in a timely
> manner, I suggest contacting our SQL support
> (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2852). They have more
> information on such issue. The SQL Server Support is not free, but you can
> refund after they resolve the SQL Server update issue. You call
> 1-800-936-5700 and give the Customer Service Representative your service
> request number SRX******** and credit card information. The agent will be
> happy to process your refund immediately."
>
> I don't even have access to a credit card that can be used for this purpose.
>
> What can be done to resolve this issue?

Can you ping me directly at sbradcpa@pacbell.net and I can help you
getting a case open with CSS Security?