This is what solved my audio problem. After days of messing with drivers I installed the Plug and Play Software
Enumerator (which had vanished from my devices). Rebooted and it worked perfectly.
Visit the original post here which has more options if this one doesn't work for you:
No Sound-Plug and Play Software Enumerator missing - MajorGeeks Support Forums
Again, these are instructions on how to install the Plug and Play Software Enumerator
in XP/2k -- if it is missing. If it isn't missing and works then this wouldn't be
the cause of your audio problem.
From an MSDOS cmd prompt type or cut and paste
copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp
Using notepad go to line 22 (CTRL-G 22) which should be
delete and remove that line wherever you find it (Line 20 maybe)
and save the file
We're finished that part. Notepad and the cmd prompt can be closed. %windir% was
probably c:\windows\ and that was automatically be expanded in the windows cmd prompt.
Now, just go to Add Hardware, add a new hardware device there at the bottom, install
from list, next, have disk, and select the temp directory where we copied the files
(c:\temp\ in the example here).
You should have all the different machine level services listed since we've removed
the ExcludeFromSelect=* which hid them all. We only want to add Plug and Play Software
Enumerator and nothing else so select and install only that.