Problem with "plug and play software device enumerator".

Dan

Problem with "plug and play software device enumerator".
I recently had my computer crash while playing music. I lost my sound.
Looked on the device manager and saw an exclamation symbol on "plug and play
software device enumerator in "System Devices". I tried to update the
driver, but no joy. I then uninstalled the device thinking it would
re-install with a re-boot. It did not. Now I have no sounds and no system
device "plug and play software device enumerator.
I know the drivers involved are swenum.sys and streamci.dll but can't seem
to get them back where they belong. The properties in control pannel in
Sound Devices etc says "No Sound Device" I have re-loaded Sound Max from the
Intel site. I am running Windows XP Pro in an Intel Machine D865GBF
motherboard with a 3.4 Gig CPU.
Any one got an answer?
--
Dan in California
MowGreen

Re: Problem with "plug and play software device enumerator".
Dan,

Suggest you post this issue to a newsgroup that deals with hardware
issues instead of one that deals with Windows Updates issues:

Windows XP Hardware
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

OE link:

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

dmevanoff@gmail.com

On Apr 8, 2:34*pm, MowGreen <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Suggest you post this issue to a newsgroup that deals with hardware
> issues instead of one that deals with Windows Updates issues:
>
> Windows XP Hardwarehttp://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg...
>
> OE link:
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> * *-343-* *FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Dan wrote:
> > I recently had my computer crash while playing music. *I lost my sound. *
> > Looked on the device manager and saw an exclamation symbol on "plug andplay
> > software device enumerator in "System Devices". *I tried to update the
> > driver, but no joy. *I then uninstalled the device thinking it would
> > re-install with a re-boot. *It did not. *Now I have no sounds and no system
> > device "plug and play software device enumerator. *
> > I know the drivers involved are swenum.sys and streamci.dll but can't seem
> > to get them back where they belong. *The properties in control pannelin
> > Sound Devices etc says "No Sound Device" *I have re-loaded Sound Max from the
> > Intel site. *I am running Windows XP Pro in an Intel Machine D865GBF
> > motherboard with a 3.4 Gig CPU.
> > Any one got an answer?- Hide quoted text -

Dear MowGreen,
Thanks for that advice I have just done so in the proper forum.
Dan

gman54321 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problem with "plug and play software device enumerator".
This is what solved my audio problem. After days of messing with drivers I installed the Plug and Play Software
Enumerator (which had vanished from my devices). Rebooted and it worked perfectly.

Visit the original post here which has more options if this one doesn't work for you:
No Sound-Plug and Play Software Enumerator missing - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Again, these are instructions on how to install the Plug and Play Software Enumerator
in XP/2k -- if it is missing. If it isn't missing and works then this wouldn't be
the cause of your audio problem.

From an MSDOS cmd prompt type or cut and paste

md \temp
cd \temp
copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp
notepad \temp\allmachine.inf

Using notepad go to line 22 (CTRL-G 22) which should be
ExcludeFromSelect=*
delete and remove that line wherever you find it (Line 20 maybe)
and save the file

We're finished that part. Notepad and the cmd prompt can be closed. %windir% was
probably c:\windows\ and that was automatically be expanded in the windows cmd prompt.

Now, just go to Add Hardware, add a new hardware device there at the bottom, install
from list, next, have disk, and select the temp directory where we copied the files
(c:\temp\ in the example here).

You should have all the different machine level services listed since we've removed
the ExcludeFromSelect=* which hid them all. We only want to add Plug and Play Software
Enumerator and nothing else so select and install only that.