SP-2

Briamor

SP-2
I'm kinda "stuck" because I'd like some updated versions of my IE, Windows
Media Player, and some newer antivirus updates, but none of them will
install without SP-2,
That goes for SP-3 also, even that won't install unless it sees that I have
had SP-2 previously installed. I currently have SP-1.

What can I do to get SP-2 to install,

and...

Re-installing my OS is out of the question, I'd loose to much if I did that.

Thanks Again
Bruce AKA, Briamor

P.S. I have asked this question before, about 3-4 weeks ago, and today I
logged on to see if there were any new answers, and I can't find any of my
past posts.
How long do they last, and why can't I find ones from just a few weeks ago,
that were answered,
(Yes I used "find" and put in the dates "before and after") but still
nothing with my name appeared?

Briamor
briamor@optonline.net

Ǝиçεl

RE: SP-2
Hello Bruce,

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?author=Briamor&email=briamor%40optonl ine.net&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_U S_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US>

At the top of this web page there's a box that says Search For: and another
that

says In:

Type or paste

briamor

or the actuall subject in the Search For: box,

and pick the Group (Windows Update) in the drop down menu on the other box.

Then look at the Search Result . ;-)

-=-

Ǝиçεl

"Briamor" wrote:

> I'm kinda "stuck" because I'd like some updated versions of my IE, Windows
> Media Player, and some newer antivirus updates, but none of them will
> install without SP-2,
> That goes for SP-3 also, even that won't install unless it sees that I have
> had SP-2 previously installed. I currently have SP-1.
>
> What can I do to get SP-2 to install,
>
> and...
>
> Re-installing my OS is out of the question, I'd loose to much if I did that.
>

> Thanks Again
> Bruce AKA, Briamor
>
> P.S. I have asked this question before, about 3-4 weeks ago, and today I
> logged on to see if there were any new answers, and I can't find any of my
> past posts.
> How long do they last, and why can't I find ones from just a few weeks ago,
> that were answered,
> (Yes I used "find" and put in the dates "before and after") but still
> nothing with my name appeared?
>

> Briamor
> briamor@optonline.net

Re: SP-2
1. First see this KB article:

When you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 [or 2], you receive the
error message "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not
complete":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

2. Now see...

HOW TO get WinXP (32-bit) SP1 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Your previous newsgroup threads include:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...25055b8fd878c3
[Why you posted to a Turkish-specific newsgroup is anyone's guess]

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4cf1bec12d082d
[Are you running WinXP 64-bit?]

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9c8ddd49beefd3
[I don't think you're a "new user" but who knows?]

Briamor wrote:
> I'm kinda "stuck" because I'd like some updated versions of my IE, Windows
> Media Player, and some newer antivirus updates, but none of them will
> install without SP-2,
> That goes for SP-3 also, even that won't install unless it sees that I
> have
> had SP-2 previously installed. I currently have SP-1.
>
> What can I do to get SP-2 to install,
>
> and...
>
> Re-installing my OS is out of the question, I'd loose to much if I did
> that.
>
> P.S. I have asked this question before, about 3-4 weeks ago, and today I
> logged on to see if there were any new answers, and I can't find any of my
> past posts.
> How long do they last, and why can't I find ones from just a few weeks
> ago,
> that were answered,
> (Yes I used "find" and put in the dates "before and after") but still
> nothing with my name appeared?
>

> Briamor
> briamor@optonline.net

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP-2
Briamor briamor@optonline.net wrote:
> I'm kinda "stuck" because I'd like some updated versions of my IE, Windows
> Media Player, and some newer antivirus updates, but none of them will
> install without SP-2,
> That goes for SP-3 also, even that won't install unless it sees that I
> have
> had SP-2 previously installed. I currently have SP-1.
>
> What can I do to get SP-2 to install,
>
> and...
>
> Re-installing my OS is out of the question, I'd loose to much if I did
> that.

<snipped>

> P.S. I have asked this question before, about 3-4 weeks ago, and today I
> logged on to see if there were any new answers, and I can't find any of my
> past posts.
> How long do they last, and why can't I find ones from just a few weeks
> ago,
> that were answered,
> (Yes I used "find" and put in the dates "before and after") but still
> nothing with my name appeared?

You should be able to install SP3 without installing SP2 first - if you have
SP1.

But - in case you cannot just install SP3 for some reason...

Go ahead and get SP2 (full install) downloaded.

Also get SP3 (full install) downloaded.

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Check the hardware manufacturer's web page (Support/Downloads section) for
your computer (or individual computer components) for hardware device driver
updates. Download and install at least the following drivers:

- Motherboard chipset
- Network device
- Video device
- Sound device

If you have something like a Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway, etc - that's your
hardware manufacturer - usually if you know your computer Model - that's all
you need when visiting their web pages (support --> drivers and downloads
sections.) If you don't have a third tier vendor PC like that - something
like Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) can help you get a grip on your
hardware manufacturer's so you can visit their individual web pages.

Once you have those updated, install Service Pack 2.

Here's a general step-by-step (given you have done everything suggested
before this point) to follow:

1) Perform a CHKDSK (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265)
2) Defragment (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848)
3) Reboot right before you try to install SP2.
4) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
5) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP2.
6) Install!

Once you have Service Pack 2 installed - reboot a few times (at least three)
in a row. Not quickly - but reboot, logon, wait about 5-10 minutes, reboot,
repeat about three times. This will ensure all processes related to the
install have completed.

Now install Service Pack 3.

Here's a general step-by-step (given you have done everything suggested
before this point) to follow:

1) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
2) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
3) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.
4) Install!

Once you have Service Pack 3 installed - reboot a few times (at least three)
in a row. Not quickly - but reboot, logon, wait about 5-10 minutes, reboot,
repeat about three times. This will ensure all processes related to the
install have completed.

Now - let's be sure your update functionality is working properly.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP-2
Briamor wrote:
<snipped>
> P.S. I have asked this question before, about 3-4 weeks ago, and today I
> logged on to see if there were any new answers, and I can't find any of my
> past posts.
> How long do they last, and why can't I find ones from just a few weeks
> ago,
> that were answered,
> (Yes I used "find" and put in the dates "before and after") but still
> nothing with my name appeared?

Indefinitely on Google Groups.

It's also better (for most) if you do *not* use the web interface for the
newsgroup - but a newsreader or Outlook Express or Windows Mail instead.

This?
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7e3b90c9956a05

Some of these?
http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...bokpZxwW7G4fAA

Didn't see any 3-4 weeks old (as of this date, concerning the same topic...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP