Outlook Exp.

Ken5429

Outlook Exp.
I recently changed ISP to Att/yahoo

Outlook Exp. worked fine for approx. 2 weeks.

Now att/yahoo has blocked Outlook and are trying to force me to their yahoo
mail.

It is cluttered with way too much advertisement.

Want to continue using Outlook. Is there any way to bypass their att/yahoo
servers?

Re: Outlook Exp.
[Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]

This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.

Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
not the same application.

In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post any
error messages you're getting in their entirety.

Ken5429 wrote:
> I recently changed ISP to Att/yahoo
>
> Outlook Exp. worked fine for approx. 2 weeks.
>
> Now att/yahoo has blocked Outlook and are trying to force me to their
> yahoo
> mail.
>
> It is cluttered with way too much advertisement.
>
> Want to continue using Outlook. Is there any way to bypass their
> att/yahoo
> servers?

Ken5429

Re: Outlook Exp.
This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or receive
email from OE.

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account:
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server
Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I know I
have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop and
smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.

Ken5429

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.
>
> Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
> not the same application.
>
> In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post any
> error messages you're getting in their entirety.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Ken5429 wrote:
> > I recently changed ISP to Att/yahoo
> >
> > Outlook Exp. worked fine for approx. 2 weeks.
> >
> > Now att/yahoo has blocked Outlook and are trying to force me to their
> > yahoo
> > mail.
> >
> > It is cluttered with way too much advertisement.
> >
> > Want to continue using Outlook. Is there any way to bypass their
> > att/yahoo
> > servers?

Bruce Hagen

Re: Outlook Exp.
Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Servers. Have you unchecked: Log on
using SPA?

Here's how to "POP" mail from Yahoo! Mail Plus into your Outlook Express:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html

Item 14:
Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure…"
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Ken5429" <Ken5429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or
> receive
> email from OE.
>
> Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication.
> Account:
> 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
> Server
> Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
>
> I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I know
> have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop and
> smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
> They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.
>
> Ken5429
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]
>>
>> This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.
>>
>> Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
>> not the same application.
>>
>> In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post
>> any
>> error messages you're getting in their entirety.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Ken5429 wrote:
>> > I recently changed ISP to Att/yahoo
>> >
>> > Outlook Exp. worked fine for approx. 2 weeks.
>> >
>> > Now att/yahoo has blocked Outlook and are trying to force me to their
>> > yahoo
>> > mail.
>> >
>> > It is cluttered with way too much advertisement.
>> >
>> > Want to continue using Outlook. Is there any way to bypass their
>> > att/yahoo
>> > servers?

Ken5429

Re: Outlook Exp.
Bruce, I followed the mail plus instructions to the letter and with no luck.
Here is the error message I received back.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'updke.att.net@yahoo.com'.
Subject 'dffggtt', Account: 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server:
'plus.smtp.mail.Yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From:
address not verified; ', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553,
Error Number: 0x800CCC78

I changed the port number to 587 and got the same error message.

Question In one step it says to type my email address, updke@att.net
and include yahoo.com It comes out updke@att.net@yahoo.com

error message comes up "Invalid e-mail address. Do you want to continue?"

I tried using updke.net@yahoo.com Would not accept this one either.

I do appreciate your help. ken5429

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Servers. Have you unchecked: Log on
> using SPA?
>
> Here's how to "POP" mail from Yahoo! Mail Plus into your Outlook Express:
> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
>
> Item 14:
> Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure…"
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Ken5429" <Ken5429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or
> > receive
> > email from OE.
> >
> > Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication.
> > Account:
> > 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> > Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
> > Server
> > Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
> >
> > I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I know
> > have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop and
> > smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
> > They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.
> >
> > Ken5429
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]
> >>
> >> This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.
> >>
> >> Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
> >> not the same application.
> >>
> >> In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post
> >> any
> >> error messages you're getting in their entirety.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Ron Sommer

Re: Outlook Exp.
I don't think that Bruce's link was correct.
http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918
http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=287
--
Ronald Sommer

> Bruce, I followed the mail plus instructions to the letter and with no
> luck.
> Here is the error message I received back.
>
> The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
> e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'updke.att.net@yahoo.com'.
> Subject 'dffggtt', Account: 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server:
> 'plus.smtp.mail.Yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From:
> address not verified; ', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553,
> Error Number: 0x800CCC78
>
> I changed the port number to 587 and got the same error message.
>
> Question In one step it says to type my email address, updke@att.net
> and include yahoo.com It comes out updke@att.net@yahoo.com
>
> error message comes up "Invalid e-mail address. Do you want to
> continue?"
>
> I tried using updke.net@yahoo.com Would not accept this one either.
>
> I do appreciate your help. ken5429
>
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Servers. Have you unchecked: Log
>> on
>> using SPA?
>>
>> Here's how to "POP" mail from Yahoo! Mail Plus into your Outlook Express:
>> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
>>
>> Item 14:
>> Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure…"
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Ken5429" <Ken5429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or
>> > receive
>> > email from OE.
>> >
>> > Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication.
>> > Account:
>> > 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3,
>> > Server
>> > Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
>> > Server
>> > Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
>> >
>> > I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I
>> > know
>> > have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop
>> > and
>> > smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
>> > They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.
>> >
>> > Ken5429

Ken5429

Re: Outlook Exp.
Have already ben thru both of these webs. Neither helped me with my OE
problem.
Thanks for your help. Ken5429

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> I don't think that Bruce's link was correct.
> http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918
> http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=287
> --
> Ronald Sommer
>
> "Ken5429" <Ken5429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bruce, I followed the mail plus instructions to the letter and with no
> > luck.
> > Here is the error message I received back.
> >
> > The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
> > e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'updke.att.net@yahoo.com'.
> > Subject 'dffggtt', Account: 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server:
> > 'plus.smtp.mail.Yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From:
> > address not verified; ', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553,
> > Error Number: 0x800CCC78
> >
> > I changed the port number to 587 and got the same error message.
> >
> > Question In one step it says to type my email address, updke@att.net
> > and include yahoo.com It comes out updke@att.net@yahoo.com
> >
> > error message comes up "Invalid e-mail address. Do you want to
> > continue?"
> >
> > I tried using updke.net@yahoo.com Would not accept this one either.
> >
> > I do appreciate your help. ken5429
> >
> > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> >
> >> Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Servers. Have you unchecked: Log
> >> on
> >> using SPA?
> >>
> >> Here's how to "POP" mail from Yahoo! Mail Plus into your Outlook Express:
> >> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
> >>
> >> Item 14:
> >> Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure…"
> >> --
> >>
> >> Bruce Hagen
> >> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> >> Imperial Beach, CA

Re: Outlook Exp.
Bruce's link doesn't apply to you, only Yahoo Plus subscribers.

See http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=290 | Select the Tutorial, *not*
the Wizard | Select "Outlook Express 5" in the first screen, even though
you're running OE6 | Step #7: Note that your "Account name" is the email
address your ISP has given you (e.g., updke@att.net), not
'pop.att.yahoo.com' | Take special note of Steps #10 & #11.

Ken5429 wrote:
> This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or
> receive
> email from OE.
>
> Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication.
> Account:
> 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
> Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
>
> I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I know
> have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop and
> smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
> They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]
>>
>> This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.
>>
>> Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
>> not the same application.
>>
>> In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post
>> any
>> error messages you're getting in their entirety.
>>
>> Ken5429 wrote:
>>> I recently changed ISP to Att/yahoo
>>>
>>> Outlook Exp. worked fine for approx. 2 weeks.
>>>
>>> Now att/yahoo has blocked Outlook and are trying to force me to their
>>> yahoo
>>> mail.
>>>
>>> It is cluttered with way too much advertisement.
>>>
>>> Want to continue using Outlook. Is there any way to bypass their
>>> att/yahoo
>>> servers?

Ken5429

Re: Outlook Exp.
Bear, I followed the website directions explicitly.

Made test email back to my self. First thing it told me dot not have
valid account specified. Would you like to use your default account to send
these messages?

I said yes and it failed again with this error message

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'updke@att.net'. Subject
'xvxvxvxvx', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go
to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/dsl/mail/pop/pop-11.html', Port: 465,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Regards. Ken5429

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Bruce's link doesn't apply to you, only Yahoo Plus subscribers.
>
> See http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=290 | Select the Tutorial, *not*
> the Wizard | Select "Outlook Express 5" in the first screen, even though
> you're running OE6 | Step #7: Note that your "Account name" is the email
> address your ISP has given you (e.g., updke@att.net), not
> 'pop.att.yahoo.com' | Take special note of Steps #10 & #11.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Ken5429 wrote:
> > This is the error message I receive back after I attempt to send or
> > receive
> > email from OE.
> >
> > Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication.
> > Account:
> > 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> > Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
> > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
> >
> > I checked have talked with their Tech support group several times. I know
> > have everything correct as they led me thru it step by step. Both pop and
> > smtp are correct as well at the ports they gave me.
> > They keep tellling me it is OE or my problem.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Forwarded to OE General newsgroup via crosspost]
> >>
> >> This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Ken.
> >>
> >> Be careful with your shorthand: Outlook (OL) and Outlook Express (OE) are
> >> not the same application.
> >>
> >> In what way is ATT/Yahoo "blocking" access to the account in OE? Post
> >> any
> >> error messages you're getting in their entirety.

Re: Outlook Exp.
Well, don't bother visiting the link
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/ds...op/pop-11.html because it
results "page can not [sic] be found" error.

1. Are you able to receive mail now?

2. Since you switched to AT&T as your ISP, have you ever been able to Send
from your name@att.net account in OE?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed (e.g., McAfee
Security Center freebie from ATT/Yahoo)? Have you disabled email scanning
(which could be causing the problem, if it's currently enabled)?

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

4. Has a Norton or (any other) McAfee application ever been installed on
this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it)?