No calendar for system restore

ncody71

No calendar for system restore
Since 2 auto updates installed overnight, KB967715 and KB961260, there's no
calendar for picking dates to do system restore. I'd appreciate any advice on
how to fix this. I haven't been able to find any previous posts about this
specific issue. I use XP Home.

Re: No calendar for system restore
posting to this newsgroup.

KB967715 was released a few weeks ago and KB961260 was released in
mid-February: How is it that these updates only installed via Automatic
Updates last night?

Have you been having a hijackware problem lately?

ncody71 wrote:
> Since 2 auto updates installed overnight, KB967715 and KB961260, there's
> no
> calendar for picking dates to do system restore. I'd appreciate any advice
> on how to fix this. I haven't been able to find any previous posts about
> this specific issue. I use XP Home.

ncody71

Re: No calendar for system restore
WinXP SP2
I suddenly started having problems printing things off the internet (eg
coupons) awhile back (font was microscopic) and then it occurred to me maybe
I could do a system restore to fix it. That's when I discovered that wasn't
an option since there was no calendar to pick a date and it wouldn't allow me
to do a manual restore point. So then I tried a day or two ago to uninstall
every recent update that might account for this. That fixed both problems.
Then overnight they automatically got re-installed and now I don't have a
calendar and can't make restore points manually. The printing problem is
still gone so system restore is the only problem now. I don't know what
hijackware is.
Thanks for any advice.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> KB967715 was released a few weeks ago and KB961260 was released in
> mid-February: How is it that these updates only installed via Automatic
> Updates last night?
>
> Have you been having a hijackware problem lately?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> ncody71 wrote:
> > Since 2 auto updates installed overnight, KB967715 and KB961260, there's
> > no
> > calendar for picking dates to do system restore. I'd appreciate any advice
> > on how to fix this. I haven't been able to find any previous posts about
> > this specific issue. I use XP Home.

Re: No calendar for system restore
And were KB967715 and KB961260 the only updates you uninstalled and which
were then reinstalled via Automatic Updates?

Are you certain you're running WinXP SP2 and that WinXP SP3 hasn't been
installed yet? Did you recently install IE7 or IE8 (which would account for
the "microscopic" printing)?

What third-party firewall (if any; e.g., ZoneAlarm)?

~PA Bear

ncody71 wrote:
> WinXP SP2
> I suddenly started having problems printing things off the internet (eg
> coupons) awhile back (font was microscopic) and then it occurred to me
> maybe
> I could do a system restore to fix it. That's when I discovered that
> wasn't
> an option since there was no calendar to pick a date and it wouldn't allow
> me to do a manual restore point. So then I tried a day or two ago to
> uninstall every recent update that might account for this. That fixed both
> problems. Then overnight they automatically got re-installed and now I
> don't have a calendar and can't make restore points manually. The printing
> problem is still gone so system restore is the only problem now. I don't
> know what hijackware is.
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> KB967715 was released a few weeks ago and KB961260 was released in
>> mid-February: How is it that these updates only installed via Automatic
>> Updates last night?
>>
>> Have you been having a hijackware problem lately?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> ncody71 wrote:
>>> Since 2 auto updates installed overnight, KB967715 and KB961260, there's
>>> no
>>> calendar for picking dates to do system restore. I'd appreciate any
>>> advice
>>> on how to fix this. I haven't been able to find any previous posts about
>>> this specific issue. I use XP Home.

ncody71

Re: No calendar for system restore
I have brain problems so I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I picked just
those 2 updates to uninstall - I wrote the numbers down so when I got the
notification that updates had been automatically installed, I was able to
confirm it was the same ones I'd uninstalled.

I didn't install SP3 because I was afraid it would damage things and I
wasn't up to copying or doing whatever was necessary to protect what I have.
I have IE7 but use Mozilla. I don't know when IE7 was installed - not
recently though.

I have avast anti-virus (I think it does spyware too) which is up to date
and no firewalls. A long time ago i had McAfee and before that, Norton, but
un-installed both years ago.
Thanks for the help,
Nicholas

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And were KB967715 and KB961260 the only updates you uninstalled and which
> were then reinstalled via Automatic Updates?
>
> Are you certain you're running WinXP SP2 and that WinXP SP3 hasn't been
> installed yet? Did you recently install IE7 or IE8 (which would account for
> the "microscopic" printing)?

> What third-party firewall (if any; e.g., ZoneAlarm)?

> ~PA Bear
>
> ncody71 wrote:
> > WinXP SP2
> > I suddenly started having problems printing things off the internet (eg
> > coupons) awhile back (font was microscopic) and then it occurred to me
> > maybe
> > I could do a system restore to fix it. That's when I discovered that
> > wasn't
> > an option since there was no calendar to pick a date and it wouldn't allow
> > me to do a manual restore point. So then I tried a day or two ago to
> > uninstall every recent update that might account for this. That fixed both
> > problems. Then overnight they automatically got re-installed and now I
> > don't have a calendar and can't make restore points manually. The printing
> > problem is still gone so system restore is the only problem now. I don't
> > know what hijackware is.
> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> KB967715 was released a few weeks ago and KB961260 was released in
> >> mid-February: How is it that these updates only installed via Automatic
> >> Updates last night?
> >>
> >> Have you been having a hijackware problem lately?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: No calendar for system restore
McAfee and Norton applications are notorious for not uninstalling cleanly.
These "leftovers" may be causing your System Restore problem. Proceed as
follows:

1. Download the McAfee removal tool (see Step #2) to your desktop,
double-click on the saved file to run the tool, then reboot:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

2. Download the Norton removal tool to your desktop, double-click on the
saved file to run the tool, then reboot again:

3. Now see if the System Restore calendar is available.

============

OT: The "microscopic printing" is due to a feature in IE7 called "Shrink to
Fit" printing. You can adjust this before printing via IE File | Print
preview.
--
~PA Bear

ncody71 wrote:
> I have brain problems so I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I picked
> just
> those 2 updates to uninstall - I wrote the numbers down so when I got the
> notification that updates had been automatically installed, I was able to
> confirm it was the same ones I'd uninstalled.
>
> I didn't install SP3 because I was afraid it would damage things and I
> wasn't up to copying or doing whatever was necessary to protect what I
> have.
> I have IE7 but use Mozilla. I don't know when IE7 was installed - not
> recently though.
>
> I have avast anti-virus (I think it does spyware too) which is up to date
> and no firewalls. A long time ago i had McAfee and before that, Norton,
> but
> un-installed both years ago.
> Thanks for the help,
> Nicholas
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> And were KB967715 and KB961260 the only updates you uninstalled and which
>> were then reinstalled via Automatic Updates?
>>
>> Are you certain you're running WinXP SP2 and that WinXP SP3 hasn't been
>> installed yet? Did you recently install IE7 or IE8 (which would account
>> for the "microscopic" printing)?

>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any; e.g., ZoneAlarm)?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> ncody71 wrote:
>>> WinXP SP2
>>> I suddenly started having problems printing things off the internet (eg
>>> coupons) awhile back (font was microscopic) and then it occurred to me
>>> maybe
>>> I could do a system restore to fix it. That's when I discovered that
>>> wasn't
>>> an option since there was no calendar to pick a date and it wouldn't
>>> allow
>>> me to do a manual restore point. So then I tried a day or two ago to
>>> uninstall every recent update that might account for this. That fixed
>>> both
>>> problems. Then overnight they automatically got re-installed and now I
>>> don't have a calendar and can't make restore points manually. The
>>> printing
>>> problem is still gone so system restore is the only problem now. I don't
>>> know what hijackware is.
>>> Thanks for any advice.

ncody71

Re: No calendar for system restore
I ran both removal tools but still do not get a calendar for system restore.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Nicholas

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> McAfee and Norton applications are notorious for not uninstalling cleanly.
> These "leftovers" may be causing your System Restore problem. Proceed as
> follows:
>
> 1. Download the McAfee removal tool (see Step #2) to your desktop,
> double-click on the saved file to run the tool, then reboot:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>
> 2. Download the Norton removal tool to your desktop, double-click on the
> saved file to run the tool, then reboot again:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> 3. Now see if the System Restore calendar is available.
>
> ============
>
> OT: The "microscopic printing" is due to a feature in IE7 called "Shrink to
> Fit" printing. You can adjust this before printing via IE File | Print
> preview.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> ncody71 wrote:
> > I have brain problems so I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I picked
> > just
> > those 2 updates to uninstall - I wrote the numbers down so when I got the
> > notification that updates had been automatically installed, I was able to
> > confirm it was the same ones I'd uninstalled.
> >
> > I didn't install SP3 because I was afraid it would damage things and I
> > wasn't up to copying or doing whatever was necessary to protect what I
> > have.
> > I have IE7 but use Mozilla. I don't know when IE7 was installed - not
> > recently though.
> >
> > I have avast anti-virus (I think it does spyware too) which is up to date
> > and no firewalls. A long time ago i had McAfee and before that, Norton,
> > but
> > un-installed both years ago.
> > Thanks for the help,
> > Nicholas
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> And were KB967715 and KB961260 the only updates you uninstalled and which
> >> were then reinstalled via Automatic Updates?
> >>
> >> Are you certain you're running WinXP SP2 and that WinXP SP3 hasn't been
> >> installed yet? Did you recently install IE7 or IE8 (which would account
> >> for the "microscopic" printing)?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any; e.g., ZoneAlarm)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: No calendar for system restore
I suspect you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection, Nicholas.
(We're expecting a new cumulative security update for IE to be released on
14 Apr-09. This update will supersede KB961260 but I suspect installing it
will cause the same problem so you'd best get the hijackware infection
sorted ASAP. In its current state, the machine should NOT be connected to
the internet or any networks!)

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm