Here is more info.
All of our machines are running Windows XP with a mix of SP2 and some
SP3. The service pack level does not appear to make a difference.
What works systematically is to remove the computer from the domain.
Once that occurs, there is no issue with updating the windows update
service software, nor with the windows updates
What also works is to manually update the files and register them
(note that wuaueng.dll will not register and fails with an access
denied error which tells me this is the source of the problem)
However these are stop gap measures as the problem will re-occur the
next time windows update must update its software
The problem seems to be related to the WUS server configuration pushed
by the domain policies. I have removed the related entries in the
registry, then rebooted the machine.
Strangely enough this change has no effect right after the reboot, but
the next day when I tried again, I was finally able to update (the
software). However the update itself did fail with a 0xc80003fA. This
is an issue with accessing the %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution folder
which was solved by stopping the service and deleting the content.
So everything seems to point to a permission issue caused by the WuS
configuration, but this is as far as I got for now. Oh I did check the
permission on the various files and folders and nothing seemed amiss.
Administrators have full control (our users are admin on their machines)
Angelyne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87947.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1155766.htm