Problem updating Windows update software 0x80070005

Angelyne

Problem updating Windows update software 0x80070005

duplicate post my apologies

--
Angelyne
Angelyne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87947.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Re: Problem updating Windows update software 0x80070005
Angelyne wrote:
> duplicate post my apologies

Apology accepted (I guess...)

What operating system?
What service pack level?
What have you tried to fix it?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Angelyne

Re: Problem updating Windows update software 0x80070005

Here is more info.

All of our machines are running Windows XP with a mix of SP2 and some
SP3. The service pack level does not appear to make a difference.

What works systematically is to remove the computer from the domain.
Once that occurs, there is no issue with updating the windows update
service software, nor with the windows updates

What also works is to manually update the files and register them

regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll
*regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll

(note that wuaueng.dll will not register and fails with an access
denied error which tells me this is the source of the problem)

However these are stop gap measures as the problem will re-occur the
next time windows update must update its software

The problem seems to be related to the WUS server configuration pushed
by the domain policies. I have removed the related entries in the
registry, then rebooted the machine.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000a
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000004
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000004
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:0000000b
"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000016
"AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000000

Strangely enough this change has no effect right after the reboot, but
the next day when I tried again, I was finally able to update (the
software). However the update itself did fail with a 0xc80003fA. This
is an issue with accessing the %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution folder
which was solved by stopping the service and deleting the content.

So everything seems to point to a permission issue caused by the WuS
configuration, but this is as far as I got for now. Oh I did check the
permission on the various files and folders and nothing seemed amiss.
Administrators have full control (our users are admin on their machines)

--
Angelyne
Angelyne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87947.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1155766.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Problem updating Windows update software 0x80070005
WSUS-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:

PS: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Angelyne wrote:
> Here is more info.
>
> All of our machines are running Windows XP with a mix of SP2 and some
> SP3. The service pack level does not appear to make a difference.
>
> What works systematically is to remove the computer from the domain.
> Once that occurs, there is no issue with updating the windows update
> service software, nor with the windows updates
>
> What also works is to manually update the files and register them
>
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups.dll
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll
> *regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
> regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll
>
> (note that wuaueng.dll will not register and fails with an access
> denied error which tells me this is the source of the problem)
>
> However these are stop gap measures as the problem will re-occur the
> next time windows update must update its software
>
> The problem seems to be related to the WUS server configuration pushed
> by the domain policies. I have removed the related entries in the
> registry, then rebooted the machine.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
> "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
> "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
> "RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000a
> "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
> "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
> "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000004
> "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:0000000b
> "DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000016
> "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000000
>
> Strangely enough this change has no effect right after the reboot, but
> the next day when I tried again, I was finally able to update (the
> software). However the update itself did fail with a 0xc80003fA. This
> is an issue with accessing the %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution folder
> which was solved by stopping the service and deleting the content.
>
> So everything seems to point to a permission issue caused by the WuS
> configuration, but this is as far as I got for now. Oh I did check the
> permission on the various files and folders and nothing seemed amiss.
> Administrators have full control (our users are admin on their machines)

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Angelyne wrote:

> What works systematically is to remove the computer from the domain.
> Once that occurs, there is no issue with updating the windows update
> service software, nor with the windows updates

When a client is removed from the domain, is it then updating from Microsoft's
site, or still via your WSUS server? It may be that there is a problem with
automatic updates on the WSUS server. Have you tried installing WU manually?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104>

Angelyne wrote:

> What works systematically is to remove the computer from the domain.
> Once that occurs, there is no issue with updating the windows update
> service software, nor with the windows updates

When a client is removed from the domain, is it then updating from Microsoft's
site, or still via your WSUS server? It may be that there is a problem with
automatic updates on the WSUS server. Have you tried installing WU manually?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

The other possibility is that another group policy setting (not directly related
to WSUS) is blocking the installation. Check what group policies are applied,
and try removing everything except the WSUS policy from a test machine.

Harry.