Windows update fails error code 0x80070002

Dipen

Windows update fails error code 0x80070002
Hi,

I am using XP professional with SP3 installed. Recently while i tried to
update windows it is not working. I reach up to the step wherein i choose
Express/Custom option, the udate scroll starts for few seconds and the error
message pops!

I went through Windows knowledge base Article ID 910336 and tried to resolve
it. This didn't work. In the very first step i find "Autoupdate" stopped
rather then me to stop it manually !

I went through other posts also and tried to run all kind of scans to see if
my PC is infected. I used Norton IS 2009, Onecare Protection scan,
malwarebyte's antimalware, Super Antispyware, MSRT March edition, SpyBot
Search & destroy ! None of these finding any infections ! I even ran
"ComboFix" i dont know whether i did right or wrong running "ComboFix"?
However while running Combofix i saw it notifying me to disable "Cyber
Defender Internet Security" i dont know where it came from ? i dont find it
installed in my PC ! Is it installed by Norton Internet Security 2009 ?

Other associated problems...I tried to update IE8RC1 to IE8 final
version...it also fails repeatedily. I find NIS 2009 identifying spam emails
being sent from my Outlook express to various ids without my knowledge. This
happens only when i connect internet through Dial up connection ! While using
LAN and Proxy it doesnt appear !

So friends, i have listed here all what i can gather... just help me set
right my Windows to get updates...and IE8 to get installed !

Thanks for going through my long query !

Dipen
--
DKL

Re: Windows update fails error code 0x80070002
You have a W32/FakeAlert-variant (AKA W32/FakeXPA) infection, most likely
accompanied by Vundo- and SDBot-variant infections, all of it "protected" by
a rootkit infection. The fact that none of the scanning you've done so far
detected all this is a testament to the rootkit's severity & power!

Option 1: Run a more-thorough check for hijackware, including posting the
requested logs in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

Option 2: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local,
reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer
repair shop.

Option 3: Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network or using a USB key that isn't
brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see.

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx