Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!

missekay

Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
I use Windows Vista Home edition SP 1 currently. My last successful update
was on 02/27/2009 which was an automatic Windows Defender Update "Definition
Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.51.1145.0)". Since then
I cannot download updates. I can successfully check for updates but when I
try and download them I get errors like 80240016 or 80072EFD. I've checked
previous discussion threads and have already downloaded and checked this
:http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx which showed
nothing as well as a current AVG scan.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Re: Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
What SP3 are you referring to?

There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including
posting the requested logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

missekay wrote:
> I use Windows Vista Home edition SP 1 currently. My last successful
> update
> was on 02/27/2009 which was an automatic Windows Defender Update
> "Definition
> Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.51.1145.0)". Since
> then I cannot download updates. I can successfully check for updates but
> when I try and download them I get errors like 80240016 or 80072EFD.
> I've
> checked previous discussion threads and have already downloaded and
> checked
> this
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx which showed

> nothing as well as a current AVG scan.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance!

Shenan Stanley

missekay wrote:
> I use Windows Vista Home edition SP 1 currently. My last
> successful update was on 02/27/2009 which was an automatic Windows
> Defender Update "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597
> (Definition 1.51.1145.0)". Since then I cannot download updates.
> I can successfully check for updates but when I try and download
> them I get errors like 80240016 or 80072EFD. I've checked
> previous discussion threads and have already downloaded and checked
> this
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx which
>> showed

> nothing as well as a current AVG scan.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas??

Does your message subject have anything at all to do with your message body?

You state you have Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 in the message body and
something about a Windows Defender update - but *nothing* about a SP3. In
your message subject you are having issues installing "SP3" (non-specific.)

Help us help you - what is your actual issue and the symptoms?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

missekay

Re: Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
Oh Jeez! I'm sorry, I guess I left that VERY important part of the post out!
I am trying to install SP3 and I keep getting several different error codes
and I've tried to figure out what is going on with no luck. The error codes
are 80240016 or 80072EFD. My last good update was on 02/27/2009. Since then
NO updates are happening, automatic or manual. I've tried running several
different spyware type scans, all showing nothing wrong. Not sure at this
point what else to try.

I hope that is specific enough, if not please let me know!! Thanks again in
advance!

missekay wrote:
> Oh Jeez! I'm sorry, I guess I left that VERY important part of the
> post out! I am trying to install SP3 and I keep getting several
> different error codes and I've tried to figure out what is going on
> with no luck. The error codes are 80240016 or 80072EFD. My last
> good update was on 02/27/2009. Since then NO updates are
> happening, automatic or manual. I've tried running several
> different spyware type scans, all showing nothing wrong. Not sure
> at this point what else to try.
>
> I hope that is specific enough, if not please let me know!! Thanks
> again in advance!

SP3 for *what*?

If you have (as you stated originally) Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 -
there is no SP3 for that product.

Now you may have a Microsoft office product/suite that you need to install a
SP3 for. What version of Microsoft office do you have installed *if* that
is what the SP3 is for?

If you mistakenly posted that you have Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 when
you actually have Windows XP Home Edition w/SP1 instead... That's a
different story all together.

Try this:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

From the picture at the top - what is your exact windows flavor/version?
From the text under the picture starting wit the word "Version" - what is
the rest of the line verbatim?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

missekay

Re: Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
It says "Windows Vista Home Basic"
Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1

The "important" update that Windows update says I need to install is
"Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
update (KB951847) x86

So, I guess its not SP3...sorry. I was updating my main computer in the
house as well and it is an XP (btw, that update went just fine).

Regardless of my error, I'm still unable to update anything at this point.
There is obviously some sort of issue that is preventing me from updating.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> missekay wrote:
> > I use Windows Vista Home edition SP 1 currently. My last
> > successful update was on 02/27/2009 which was an automatic Windows
> > Defender Update "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597
> > (Definition 1.51.1145.0)". Since then I cannot download updates.
> > I can successfully check for updates but when I try and download
> > them I get errors like 80240016 or 80072EFD. I've checked
> > previous discussion threads and have already downloaded and checked
> > this http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx which
> > showed nothing as well as a current AVG scan.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas??

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Does your message subject have anything at all to do with your
> > message body?
> >
> > You state you have Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 in the message
> > body and something about a Windows Defender update - but *nothing*
> > about a SP3. In your message subject you are having issues
> > installing "SP3" (non-specific.)
> >
> > Help us help you - what is your actual issue and the symptoms?

> missekay wrote:
> > Oh Jeez! I'm sorry, I guess I left that VERY important part of the
> > post out! I am trying to install SP3 and I keep getting several
> > different error codes and I've tried to figure out what is going on
> > with no luck. The error codes are 80240016 or 80072EFD. My last
> > good update was on 02/27/2009. Since then NO updates are
> > happening, automatic or manual. I've tried running several
> > different spyware type scans, all showing nothing wrong. Not sure
> > at this point what else to try.
> >
> > I hope that is specific enough, if not please let me know!! Thanks
> > again in advance!

> SP3 for *what*?
>
> If you have (as you stated originally) Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 -
> there is no SP3 for that product.
>
> Now you may have a Microsoft office product/suite that you need to install a
> SP3 for. What version of Microsoft office do you have installed *if* that
> is what the SP3 is for?
>
> If you mistakenly posted that you have Windows Vista Home Edition w/SP1 when
> you actually have Windows XP Home Edition w/SP1 instead... That's a
> different story all together.
>
> Try this:
>
> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> From the picture at the top - what is your exact windows flavor/version?
> From the text under the picture starting wit the word "Version" - what is
> the rest of the line verbatim?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
[She's all yours, Shenan.]

missekay wrote:
> It says "Windows Vista Home Basic"
> Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1
>
> The "important" update that Windows update says I need to install is
> "Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5
> Family update (KB951847) x86
>
> So, I guess its not SP3...sorry. I was updating my main computer
> in the house as well and it is an XP (btw, that update went just
> fine).
>
> Regardless of my error, I'm still unable to update anything at this
> point. There is obviously some sort of issue that is preventing me
> from updating.

Okay! Now we have a better understanding. ;-)
Just a little digging. We all make mistakes!

Let's start with the easy part. Making sure that system is not showing
signs of some infestation/infection.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately, one at
a time) with the following two applications (freeware versions are the
ones to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Come back here and let everyone know if these scans found and removed
anything and in general - (don't have to list everything) what was found.

Now let's try to fix the updates updating...

Click Start, type Command Prompt (in the "Start Search" box) and press
ENTER, in the list of results, _right-click_ "Command Prompt", and then
click Run as Administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

Close the Command prompt window.

Try to install updates again.

Come back and let everyone know your results.

*IF* that did not work...

Reboot.

Visit the following web page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414

I suggest you use the "Microsoft FixIt" button.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9643523

Try your updates again after the fix is done. Come back and let everyone
know if it worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

missekay

Re: Windows update error trying to install SP3--please help!
ok...the first program superantispyware only showed 3 tracking cookies. The
2nd scan showed this:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1940
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

4/4/2009 9:30:17 PM
mbam-log-2009-04-04 (21-30-12).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 140417
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 4 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 9
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> No
action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ModuleUsage\c:/windows/downloaded
program files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1}
(Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca}
(Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe}
(Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a}
(Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution
Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> No action
taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> No
action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Windows\Downloaded
Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\websrvx (Trojan.Downloader) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> No
action taken.
C:\Program Files\websrvx\upx.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> No action taken.
C:\Windows\t55ft3949f44.dat (Trojan.KoobFace) -> No action taken.

It was able to remove the infected files, I rebooted and then tried to
install the update again with no luck. I then followed the rest of your
instructions, stopping and starting the windows update service through the
command prompt while logged in as the administrator. I then tried the the
FIX IT button and when I ran that tool I got a message back stating that "it
didn't apply to my computer".

Any other ideas?

missekay wrote:
> ok...the first program superantispyware only showed 3 tracking
> cookies. The 2nd scan showed this:
>
> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
> Database version: 1940
> Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

<snip>
> It was able to remove the infected files, I rebooted and then tried
> to install the update again with no luck. I then followed the rest of
> your instructions, stopping and starting the windows update service
> through the command prompt while logged in as the administrator.
> I then tried the the FIX IT button and when I ran that tool I got a
> message back stating that "it didn't apply to my computer".
>
> Any other ideas?

Try the "Let me Fix It" section of the article with the "FixIt" button.

No go?

Try this solution adapted from another's postings ( ):

- Do the net stop wuauserv from the previous posting.
- Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Do the net start wuauserv from the previous posting.
- Try getting updates.

What Firewall software do you have?
What AntiVirus software do you use?
What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

You could also try:
- In Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options.
- Click "Connections" Tab then click on "Lan settings" Button.
- Remove check box for "Use automatic configuration script".
- Select check box for "Automaticaly detect settings".
- Click OK.
- Reboot.
- Try to update.

If it doesn't help, start a free Windows Update support incident request:

Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way