Software Distribution Service 3.0 Problems

JapanGuy

Software Distribution Service 3.0 Problems
Could someone please give me CONCRETE advice/help on fixing a "Software
Distribution Service 3.0" Problem. For several months now my computer has
been acting strange -- it's extremely slow to start up and slow to access the
internet. In fact, sometimes it just stalls and won't access the internet at
all. And practically everyday for the past few months something has been
automatically downloading and trying to install. Looking at my possible
restore points, I see that for the past two months there are many many
entries , sometimes several per day, for the same thing, "Software
Distribution Service 3.0", but nothing else. I tried to set my system back to
some of these earlier points, but the program won't let me. Next, I thought
Windows Defender might be the problem, so I removed it. No help. In my log
of reporting events I see lots and lots of entries for an attempted Windows
XP update (KB967715) starting on Feb 26th, almost everyday, and going right
up until I shut off the Windows automatic download feature the other day
(April 1). Is KB967715 my problem? What is it? And, most importantly, how
can I safely remedy this?
And, yes, I have genuine Windows. Also, for what it's worth, I'm in Japan.
Getting English-language help here is next to impossible. Plus, the Microsoft
website automatically takes me to the Japanese e-mail help page no matter
what. So I wrote to them in Japanese -- but no reply (yet).

Re: Software Distribution Service 3.0 Problems
> ...I'm in Japan.
> Getting English-language help here is next to impossible. Plus, the
> Microsoft website automatically takes me to the Japanese e-mail help page
> no matter what.

Go to www.microsoft.com and click on the (Japanese equivalent of) Change
button in upper right-hand corner to select, e.g., US.

======================================

There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
> hijackware infection.

I've been wondering about that, too. For the past few weeks I've been
running everything I have (AVG, Panda via the internet, Spybot, Ad-aware,
Spyware Blaster, Hijack This, and even Windows Defender until I deleted it).
Nothing has turned up.

You wrote:
> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

The full scan took hours and didn't really solve anything. I did not
identify anything, but curiously as soon as the scan began it did say "2
infections". However, the report at the end was completely negative. So I'm
not sure what to make of that. It didn't identify anything.

> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
> Mode with Networking, if need be:

OK.

I'll try this next:
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Also, I got a reply form Japan Microsoft with the following 3-step advice
(and detailed instructions how to do it):
1. Re-register wups2.dll
2. Install Windows Update Agent 3.0
3. Confirm my DNS Address Settings

I followed the above 3 steps, and that seems to have cleared up the
"Software Distribution Service 3.0 Problems", but the computer is still
really sluggish and acting strange.

Any more progress and I'll post a follow-up.

Docfixit

Re: Software Distribution Service 3.0 Problems
Finally, something that works to find and eliminate "Software Distribution
Service 3.0". The deep scan from the Microsoft onecare.live.com found and
eliminated the problem. The scan is free and can be repeated any tiime.
However, since none of my other programs could find the problem and even a
Symantec overnight repair from India could fix it, (and cost $99 for NPF), I
am going to sign up for Onecare.