Yet another KB905474 victim

ozegirl

Yet another KB905474 victim
This is what I have done:

* Had automatic updates switched on and it popped up on systray to start
downloading
*Switched automatic updates off as it was an inconvenient time for me to do
the download/install
*Soon after, went to the Windows update site to do the automatic check for
updates
* Found KB905474 and downloaded it successfully
*Install initialised, started installing, package was extracted, blue bar
went across and at the end came up installation failed due to problem with
computer
*Switched AV off in case that was interfering, tried again, same problem
*switched AV back on tried again
*read the troubleshooting article and it said install may be applied on next
log on so I logged out and back on - same problem
*came to this forum & started reading
*read solutions in this post:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...1-4f9eaf20dacb

- to (1) manually download or, (2) in another later post in the same thread,
I saw that someone already had it installed on their computer so I checked
and found I had it installed on 10th Nov 2008.

* followed the link given http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

and started diagnostics - initially the last two criteria failed. I have
Firefox installed, so i followed the instructions to install the plug-ins

* re-tried the diagnostics and everything passed. I then clicked to validate
Windows and that succeeded.

* I then returned to the Windows update site but I was still being offered
to install the update - I attempted the install and it failed again.

* I rebooted in case that was required, went to windows update and it failed
to install again

* I then downloaded the full package from

http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d496154544.exe

* I then attempted to run the install, but got an error message saying that
setup could not continue because I already had a newer version

* went back to windows update and still I get prompted to install the download

My comment is:

OK, so I probably don't need to install this any more, but I'd feel happier
if the Windows update site didn't prompt me to install this update.

My question is:

Would it be worthwhile uninstalling the KB905474 I have in add/remove
programs dated 10th Nov 2008 and then trying to install this one from windows
update or will that really muck everything up?

By the way, I have Automatic updates back on again and so far there has been
no prompt from there to do anything. (but this has all happened within an
hour or so)

The update history on the windows update site doesn't show failed updates -
it shows in every case "update cancelled"

What's best to do now?

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim
1. Run Windows Update manually (http:windowsupdate.microsoft.com), selecting
the CUSTOM option.

2. Uncheck KB905474 then "hide" it.
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...A-D04AAA41556E

ozegirl wrote:
> [...]
> download
>
> My comment is:
>
> OK, so I probably don't need to install this any more, but I'd feel
> happier
> if the Windows update site didn't prompt me to install this update.
>
> My question is:
>
> Would it be worthwhile uninstalling the KB905474 I have in add/remove
> programs dated 10th Nov 2008 and then trying to install this one from
> windows update or will that really muck everything up?
>
> By the way, I have Automatic updates back on again and so far there has
> been
> no prompt from there to do anything. (but this has all happened within an
> hour or so)
>
> The update history on the windows update site doesn't show failed
> updates -
> it shows in every case "update cancelled"

ozegirl

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim
I checked custom as well and there is no option to hide it because it's
already downloaded - reports download size 0Kb, ready to install. I just want
to get rid of it from the list on windows updates if I can

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > download
> >
> > My comment is:
> >
> > OK, so I probably don't need to install this any more, but I'd feel
> > happier
> > if the Windows update site didn't prompt me to install this update.
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Would it be worthwhile uninstalling the KB905474 I have in add/remove
> > programs dated 10th Nov 2008 and then trying to install this one from
> > windows update or will that really muck everything up?
> >
> > By the way, I have Automatic updates back on again and so far there has
> > been
> > no prompt from there to do anything. (but this has all happened within an
> > hour or so)
> >
> > The update history on the windows update site doesn't show failed
> > updates -
> > it shows in every case "update cancelled"

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
~PA Bear

ozegirl wrote:
> [...]
>>> download
>>>
>>> My comment is:
>>>
>>> OK, so I probably don't need to install this any more, but I'd feel
>>> happier
>>> if the Windows update site didn't prompt me to install this update.
>>>
>>> My question is:
>>>
>>> Would it be worthwhile uninstalling the KB905474 I have in add/remove
>>> programs dated 10th Nov 2008 and then trying to install this one from
>>> windows update or will that really muck everything up?
>>>
>>> By the way, I have Automatic updates back on again and so far there has
>>> been
>>> no prompt from there to do anything. (but this has all happened within
>>> an
>>> hour or so)
>>>
>>> The update history on the windows update site doesn't show failed
>>> updates -
>>> it shows in every case "update cancelled"

ozegirl

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim

I did all of what you said.

However the option to hide the update was greyed out. It was also still
showing as 0 kB download, ready to install. I tried the install again in any
case, and it failed again. When I went back to services.msc the Automatic
updates was set to Stop/Restart even though I had stopped it.

I decided to try again , and this time I stopped the Automatic updates and
also changed it's mode to manual (not that doing that would really help, but
just to try something different).

I also noticed that more files had downloaded to Software distribution when
Windows update did it's check, so I re-deleted those.

I went back to WU and this time it showed download of 1.5Mb, but the option
to hide was still greyed out. I didn't want to re-download it, so I left that
and went back and restored the deleted files back to software distribution.

Still checking that Automatic updates was stopped, I went back to WU again
and tried again, expecting to see 0kB to download, ready to install. however
it still shows 1.5MB, and option to hide is still greyed out.

So now I will probably keep getting prompted to download it or it will
automatically download again.

Is there any other way to stop this?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> ozegirl wrote:
> > I checked custom as well and there is no option to hide it because it's
> > already downloaded - reports download size 0Kb, ready to install. I just
> > want to get rid of it from the list on windows updates if I can
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Run Windows Update manually (http:windowsupdate.microsoft.com),
> >> selecting the CUSTOM option.
> >>
> >> 2. Uncheck KB905474 then "hide" it.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

ozegirl

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim

Oh I beg your pardon...

I just realised I hadn't unchecked the update - which is why the option to
hide was greyed out. All fixed now. One interesting thing though:

I did stop automatic updates again, but after doing the fix on the WU site I
went back to restart automatic updates and once again, it had restarted of
it's own accord. Must be started by using the Wu site.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> ozegirl wrote:
> > I checked custom as well and there is no option to hide it because it's
> > already downloaded - reports download size 0Kb, ready to install. I just
> > want to get rid of it from the list on windows updates if I can
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Run Windows Update manually (http:windowsupdate.microsoft.com),
> >> selecting the CUSTOM option.
> >>
> >> 2. Uncheck KB905474 then "hide" it.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim

subsidiary.

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

ozegirl wrote:
> I did all of what you said.
>
> However the option to hide the update was greyed out. It was also still
> showing as 0 kB download, ready to install. I tried the install again in
> any
> case, and it failed again. When I went back to services.msc the Automatic
> updates was set to Stop/Restart even though I had stopped it.
>
> I decided to try again , and this time I stopped the Automatic updates and
> also changed it's mode to manual (not that doing that would really help,
> but
> just to try something different).
>
> I also noticed that more files had downloaded to Software distribution
> when
> Windows update did it's check, so I re-deleted those.
>
> I went back to WU and this time it showed download of 1.5Mb, but the
> option
> to hide was still greyed out. I didn't want to re-download it, so I left
> that and went back and restored the deleted files back to software
> distribution.
>
> Still checking that Automatic updates was stopped, I went back to WU again
> and tried again, expecting to see 0kB to download, ready to install.
> however
> it still shows 1.5MB, and option to hide is still greyed out.
>
> So now I will probably keep getting prompted to download it or it will
> automatically download again.
>
> Is there any other way to stop this?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this
>> update again").
>>
>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> ozegirl wrote:
>>> I checked custom as well and there is no option to hide it because it's
>>> already downloaded - reports download size 0Kb, ready to install. I just
>>> want to get rid of it from the list on windows updates if I can

ozegirl

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim
One further question...

Does this mean that if there is a subsequent update to KB 905474 that I
won't be offered it? Or does the hide only apply to this version of it? I
mean an update to KB 905474 itself, not a different KB number.

"ozegirl" wrote:

> I did all of what you said.
>
> However the option to hide the update was greyed out. It was also still
> showing as 0 kB download, ready to install. I tried the install again in any
> case, and it failed again. When I went back to services.msc the Automatic
> updates was set to Stop/Restart even though I had stopped it.
>
> I decided to try again , and this time I stopped the Automatic updates and
> also changed it's mode to manual (not that doing that would really help, but
> just to try something different).
>
> I also noticed that more files had downloaded to Software distribution when
> Windows update did it's check, so I re-deleted those.
>
> I went back to WU and this time it showed download of 1.5Mb, but the option
> to hide was still greyed out. I didn't want to re-download it, so I left that
> and went back and restored the deleted files back to software distribution.
>
> Still checking that Automatic updates was stopped, I went back to WU again
> and tried again, expecting to see 0kB to download, ready to install. however
> it still shows 1.5MB, and option to hide is still greyed out.
>
> So now I will probably keep getting prompted to download it or it will
> automatically download again.
>
> Is there any other way to stop this?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> > (Stopping the service will take a moment)
> >
> > 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> > Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> > Close the window.
> >
> > 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> > complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> > again").
> >
> > 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> > (Starting the service will take a moment)
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >

> > ozegirl wrote:
> > > I checked custom as well and there is no option to hide it because it's
> > > already downloaded - reports download size 0Kb, ready to install. I just
> > > want to get rid of it from the list on windows updates if I can

Re: Yet another KB905474 victim
KB905474 has been revised & reoffered many, many times since its first
release in 2007 or 2006. To answer your question, no, "hiding" the Mar-09
version of KB905474 now will not "hide" any versions offered in the future.

You can compare this to, e.g., "Junk Mail filter" updates for OL. These are
released pretty frequently and all of them are the same KB number. If you
decide to "hide" the Mar-09 update, the May-09 update will still be offered
by Windows/Microsoft/Office Update & Automatic Updates.

ozegirl wrote:
> One further question...
>
> Does this mean that if there is a subsequent update to KB 905474 that I
> won't be offered it? Or does the hide only apply to this version of it? I
> mean an update to KB 905474 itself, not a different KB number.

<paste>
> I just realised I hadn't unchecked the update - which is why the option to
> hide was greyed out. All fixed now. One interesting thing though:
>
> I did stop automatic updates again, but after doing the fix on the WU site
> went back to restart automatic updates and once again, it had restarted of
> it's own accord. Must be started by using the Wu site.

</paste>