Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start

defiant103

Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start

Hey all,

Hopefully someone can help with this! We have a single windows 2003
server which is not receiving windows updates (while about 8 others
work fine). Specifically, BITS fails to start. It is set to manual, not
defined by group policy, has had SC SDSET run against the service to
match the permissions with working servers, and has had dll files
reregistered - yet it continues to report the following whenever it is
started:

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
service-specific error 2147500053 (0x80004015).

I'm at the end of my google-foo here, so I'm hoping someone else here
has a solution that I am just missing.

Here is the output from sc queryex against bits:

SERVICE_NAME: bits
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1066 (0x42a)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : -2147467243 (0x80004015)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
PID : 0
FLAGS :

Thanks for any advice or thoughts,

Gerry

Re: Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337/en-us

http://snurl.com/f5vpe [kbalertz_com]

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

defiant103 wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Hopefully someone can help with this! We have a single windows 2003
> server which is not receiving windows updates (while about 8 others
> work fine). Specifically, BITS fails to start. It is set to manual,
> not defined by group policy, has had SC SDSET run against the service
> to match the permissions with working servers, and has had dll files
> reregistered - yet it continues to report the following whenever it is
> started:
>
> The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
> service-specific error 2147500053 (0x80004015).
>
> I'm at the end of my google-foo here, so I'm hoping someone else here
> has a solution that I am just missing.
>
> Here is the output from sc queryex against bits:
>
> SERVICE_NAME: bits
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> STATE : 1 STOPPED
> (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
> IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
>
> WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1066 (0x42a)
> SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : -2147467243 (0x80004015)
> CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> PID : 0
> FLAGS :
>
> Thanks for any advice or thoughts,

defiant103

Re: Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start

Thanks for the reply Gerry; I had run through that KB earlier today
without much luck. Tried running through it again just to be sure and I
am still getting the same result.

Gerry Wrote:

> http://snurl.com/f5vpe [kbalertz_com]
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> defiant103 wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Hopefully someone can help with this! We have a single windows 2003
> > server which is not receiving windows updates (while about 8 others
> > work fine). Specifically, BITS fails to start. It is set to manual,
> > not defined by group policy, has had SC SDSET run against the

> service
> > to match the permissions with working servers, and has had dll files
> > reregistered - yet it continues to report the following whenever it

> is
> > started:
> >
> > The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
> > service-specific error 2147500053 (0x80004015).
> >
> > I'm at the end of my google-foo here, so I'm hoping someone else

> here
> > has a solution that I am just missing.
> >
> > Here is the output from sc queryex against bits:
> >
> > SERVICE_NAME: bits
> > TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> > STATE : 1 STOPPED
> > (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
> > IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
> >
> > WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1066 (0x42a)
> > SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : -2147467243 (0x80004015)
> > CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> > WAIT_HINT : 0x0
> > PID : 0
> > FLAGS :
> >
> > Thanks for any advice or thoughts,

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start
See if the resolutions here are pertinent to the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926078

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

defiant103 wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Gerry; I had run through that KB earlier today
> without much luck. Tried running through it again just to be sure and I
> am still getting the same result.
>

> Gerry Wrote:
>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337/en-us
>>
>>http://snurl.com/f5vpe [kbalertz_com]
>>
>>--
>>

>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Gerry
>>~~~~
>>FCA
>>Stourport, England
>>Enquire, plan and execute
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>defiant103 wrote:
>>
>>>Hey all,
>>>
>>>Hopefully someone can help with this! We have a single windows 2003
>>>server which is not receiving windows updates (while about 8 others
>>>work fine). Specifically, BITS fails to start. It is set to manual,
>>>not defined by group policy, has had SC SDSET run against the

>>service
>>
>>>to match the permissions with working servers, and has had dll files
>>>reregistered - yet it continues to report the following whenever it

>>is
>>
>>>started:
>>>
>>>The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with
>>>service-specific error 2147500053 (0x80004015).
>>>
>>>I'm at the end of my google-foo here, so I'm hoping someone else

>>here
>>
>>>has a solution that I am just missing.
>>>
>>>Here is the output from sc queryex against bits:
>>>
>>>SERVICE_NAME: bits
>>>TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
>>>STATE : 1 STOPPED
>>>(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
>>>IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
>>>
>>>WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1066 (0x42a)
>>>SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : -2147467243 (0x80004015)
>>>CHECKPOINT : 0x0
>>>WAIT_HINT : 0x0
>>>PID : 0
>>>FLAGS :
>>>
>>>Thanks for any advice or thoughts,

Gerry

Re: Background Intelligent Transfer Service fails to start

Have you compared the properties of the Background Intelligent Transfer
Service for a computer that works properly with the problem computer? What
are the Log On settings?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry