(KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?

Power Point

(KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment. Cannot
see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?

What could be the problem?

THX

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
[[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
]]

Power Point wrote:
> HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
> which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment. Cannot
> see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> THX

Power Point

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
THANKS!!!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
> convenience to OP.
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
> ]]
>
> Power Point wrote:
> > HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
> > which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment. Cannot
> > see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?
> >
> > What could be the problem?
> >
> > THX

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
> Power Point wrote:

>> HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
>> which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment.
>> Cannot
>> see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?
>>
>> What could be the problem?

Try downloading the update and installing it manually. Then see if it still
detects as needed. (If you are using Windows XP, you can use the Microsoft
Update web site to check.)

If the manual install doesn't help, try doing it from Safe Mode and see if that
makes any difference.

Harry.
Roger

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
I'm having the same problem here. I'm dealing with 4000 computers & as soon
as I heard about the problem, I unapproved the update. Installing it manually
is not really an option. Not all computers have the issue, but they all
report a sucessful install to the server. The ReportingEvents log is no help.
It says the update has been installed, then 2 lines later it says ready for
installation. I've tried deleting the DataStore.edb & the contents of the
download folder, but it still comes back like a bad penny. Any ideas other
than to install it manually would be appreciated.

RAC

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
> convenience to OP.
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
> ]]
>
> Power Point wrote:
> > HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
> > which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment. Cannot
> > see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?
> >
> > What could be the problem?
> >
> > THX

Power Point

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
Roger I am with you. I cannot believe no one has reported this issue.
Microsoft doesnt even post anything on this issue! when I search on this
issue all i get is my post! AGGHH

"Roger" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem here. I'm dealing with 4000 computers & as soon
> as I heard about the problem, I unapproved the update. Installing it manually
> is not really an option. Not all computers have the issue, but they all
> report a sucessful install to the server. The ReportingEvents log is no help.
> It says the update has been installed, then 2 lines later it says ready for
> installation. I've tried deleting the DataStore.edb & the contents of the
> download folder, but it still comes back like a bad penny. Any ideas other
> than to install it manually would be appreciated.
>
> RAC
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
> > (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
> > convenience to OP.
> >
> > On the web:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
> >
> > In your newsreader:
> > ]]
> >
> > Power Point wrote:
> > > HI, We are running WSUS 3.0 and microsoft released an update (KB 947449)
> > > which has installed 3 days in a rows in our corporate environment. Cannot
> > > see any error or issues. Are any users experiencing the same issue?
> > >
> > > What could be the problem?
> > >
> > > THX

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Power Point" <PowerPoint@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> I'm having the same problem here. I'm dealing with 4000 computers & as
>> soon
>> as I heard about the problem, I unapproved the update. Installing it
>> manually
>> is not really an option. Not all computers have the issue, but they all
>> report a sucessful install to the server. The ReportingEvents log is no
>> help.
>> It says the update has been installed, then 2 lines later it says ready
>> for
>> installation. I've tried deleting the DataStore.edb & the contents of the
>> download folder, but it still comes back like a bad penny. Any ideas
>> other
>> than to install it manually would be appreciated.

> Roger I am with you. I cannot believe no one has reported this issue.
> Microsoft doesnt even post anything on this issue! when I search on this
> issue all i get is my post! AGGHH

Well, in fact, to date, only TWO people have reported this issue, and you've
not really given me (or anybody else here) a lot to work with.

But the basic behavior you're reporting is not uncommon, and certainly not
exclusive to this update.

Typically when an update reports successful installation, but continues to
attempt to install, it's either because the installation is, in fact,
failing - but misreporting success -- or because the metadata that's used to
determine if the update is installed, is defective.

Now, added to this mix is that this update is a "Windows Live" update, so
who knows what the issue might actually be.

I will make these observations: Although I approved it for installation on
my desktops, in fact, I believe none of my desktops have the Windows Live
Sign-In Assistant module installed. To my benefit, the update is reporting
as Not Applicable on all machines in my network.

My first question, of course, would be: Do you have the Windows Live Sign-In
Assistant installed on your machines?

My second question would be: What *version* of the Windows Live Sign-In
Assistant is installed? This update was originally released over a year ago.
To my recollection there have been at least two new versions of Windows Live
products released since February, 2008, so I'm guessing that this update is
for the older Windows Live and it's lacking the necessary capacity to
properly deal with the newer versions. Possibly, even, the newer versions
have already incorporated. According to the KB article, this update appears
to be designed to upgrade the 4.x versions to the Live Sign-In Assistant
v5.0. If your systems already have a Live Sign-In Assistance v5.x or later
installed, this could be the cause.

Another possibility, according to the KB article, this update is only
applicable to Windows XP systems. Did you approve this update for Vista or
server systems?

Oh.. and deleting the DataStore.edb because an update malfunctions at
installation.... that's pretty bloody radical, and might even be
*contributing* or *complicating* your issues!

So.... If you have machines still running Windows Live Sign-In Assistant
v4.x (which, as noted, was replaced by a newer version over a year ago),
then put them in a special WSUS target group, and approve this update only
for those machines. If you have an issue installing this update on a
machines that is an intended target, let's work through one of those
examples.

Otherwise -- simple solution -- which you've already done -- Don't Approve
Updates You Don't Need!

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

blueberryKJ@mail2black.com

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
> My first question, of course, would be: Do you have the Windows Live Sign-In
> Assistant installed on your machines?
> My second question would be: What *version* of the Windows Live Sign-In
> Assistant is installed?

I have several users with the same problem on my network; me
included. I don't remember installing Windows Live Sign-In Assistant,
but it is on my workstation. Version 5.000.818.6. We're running
Windows XP SP2.
Power Point

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
Larry i tried your tip!!! THANKS

This is what i have done and seems to have work....but will see by our users
resonse. Now we need script to remove from all 300 pc's.

We found that the updates kb947449 (2008) new version 967912 (2009)
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution we deleted file "DataStore.edb" then was
not prompted any more. I will see if we get anymore complaints

"blueberryKJ@mail2black.com" wrote:

> > My first question, of course, would be: Do you have the Windows Live Sign-In
> > Assistant installed on your machines?
> > My second question would be: What *version* of the Windows Live Sign-In
> > Assistant is installed?

> I have several users with the same problem on my network; me
> included. I don't remember installing Windows Live Sign-In Assistant,
> but it is on my workstation. Version 5.000.818.6. We're running
> Windows XP SP2.

Re: (KB 947449) installed 3 days in a row?
According to WLMessenger MVP Jonathan Kay, the following Command removes
WLSign-in Assistant:

msiexec /x {45338B07-A236-4270-9A77-EBB4115517B5}
--
~PA Bear