Windows Update does not work

Glen

Windows Update does not work
When I go to the update website I get: "Error number: 0x8DDD0018"

I have run Malwarebytes and Panda Antivirus, so I don't think I have a trojan.

When I go to services.msc:
I cannot start BITS. I get "Error 2: cannot find the specified file".
I cannot start Automatic Updates. I get "access denied".

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update does not work
Glen wrote:
> When I go to the update website I get: "Error number: 0x8DDD0018"
>
> I have run Malwarebytes and Panda Antivirus, so I don't think I
> have a trojan.
>
> When I go to services.msc:
> I cannot start BITS. I get "Error 2: cannot find the specified
> file".
> I cannot start Automatic Updates. I get "access denied".

When was the last time you updated said Windows 98 machine... 98SE? ME?
XP? Vista?
Service Pack 1? 1a? 2? 3?

( In other words - a little information goes a long way - a lack of it stops
things cold. ;-) )

If Windows Xp 32-bit.
(Yes - you may repeat something you have done.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

If it seemed to have failed, do this:

Check the staus of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows Update does not work
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

NB: Rename MRT.EXE to, e.g., SCANNER.EXE before running the tool!

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Glen wrote:
> When I go to the update website I get: "Error number: 0x8DDD0018"
>
> I have run Malwarebytes and Panda Antivirus, so I don't think I have a
> trojan.
>
> When I go to services.msc:
> I cannot start BITS. I get "Error 2: cannot find the specified file".
> I cannot start Automatic Updates. I get "access denied".

Glen

Re: Windows Update does not wor
Thanks for your reply.

I scanned my system (XP) for malware as you and the other poster suggested;
I also downloaded HijackThis and downloaded the log onto another forum.
Nothing.

Then I tried to reload wuauserv following your steps. After running
"%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv" I get:

Error 0x8024d007

I tried several times. No luck.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> .... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
> If it seemed to have failed, do this:
>
> Check the staus of these two services:
> - Automatic Updates
> - Background Intelligent Transfer Service
>
> Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
> services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
> properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?
>
> Report that here.
>
> Then:
>
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
> and then click OK.
>
> Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
> code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.
>
> You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update does not wor

Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
sites to install updates: "0x8024D007"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701

Glen wrote:
:: Thanks for your reply.
::
:: I scanned my system (XP) for malware as you and the other poster
:: suggested; I also downloaded HijackThis and downloaded the log onto
:: another forum. Nothing.
::
:: Then I tried to reload wuauserv following your steps. After running
:: "%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv" I get:
::
:: Error 0x8024d007
::
:: I tried several times. No luck.
::
::
::
::
:: "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
::
::: Glen wrote:
:::: When I go to the update website I get: "Error number: 0x8DDD0018"
::::
:::: I have run Malwarebytes and Panda Antivirus, so I don't think I
:::: have a trojan.
::::
:::: When I go to services.msc:
:::: I cannot start BITS. I get "Error 2: cannot find the specified
:::: file".
:::: I cannot start Automatic Updates. I get "access denied".
:::
[...]
::: something while at these web pages - first press and hold down the
::: CTRL key while you click on it. You can release the CTRL key after
::: clicking each time.)
:::
::: Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority
::: updates (deselect any others) and install it.
:::
::: Reboot again.
:::
::: If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than
::: 3-5 at a time.
:::
::: The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I
::: recommend against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely
[...]
::: --
::: Shenan Stanley
::: MS-MVP
::: --
::: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
::: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: Windows Update does not wor
Please post a link to the forum thread where you posted your HJT log, etc.,
for review by an expert.