Re: error : 0x8024402F

cmillens

Re: error : 0x8024402F

'TaurArian [MS-MVP Wrote:
> [...]
> can if need be, copy the contents back from the renamed
> softwareDistribution.old folder.
> Losing the history of Windows Updates is not important.
>
> Suggestion 4:-
> Certain files may have become unregistered, and you will need to
> register them again:-
> Click Start, Choose Run and in the Run box, type regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll,
> Click OK.
>
> Do the same for the other files:-
> wucltui.dll
> wuaueng.dll
> wuapi.dll
> jscript.dll
> MSXML.DLL
> MSXML2.DLL
> MSXML3.DLL
>
> Suggestion 5:-
>
> Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone:
> Please note that Security settings in Internet Explorer must be set to
> Medium or lower for
> ActiveX files to correctly pass to your computer.
> Only the Web sites listed in Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites Zone
> will be affected by
> the lowering of Security settings. Your current security settings for
> all other Web sites
> will remain as they are currently configured.
>
> Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options,
> Click Security.
> Click Trusted Sites Zone. Click Sites.
> Clear the Require server verification (https for all sites in this
> zone check box.
> Use the Add button next to the Add this Web site to the zone box to add
> the following
> sites:
> http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> http://download.windowsupdate.com
>
> Suggestion 6:-
> The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
> http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
> Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it
> is removed, the
> program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet
> connection.
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
>
> Spyware Programs links:-
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
> (Windows Defender)
> www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
> www.security.kolla.de Spybot
>
> Suggestion 7:-
> Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like
> Nortons, Zonealarm etc
> Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the
> background such as
> NetZerio, HiSpeed, Speedband etc.
>
> Suggestion 8:
> If you need to reinstall the ActiveX controls (because they may have
> become corrupt):-
>
> Follow this article -
> The Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site do not
> scan for updates when
> you repair a failed installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or of

Ok - now, tell me something. Would you say that MSUpdate is critical
to the functionalty and safety of the operating system and the users
data? I would.
How is it then that on nearly every single Windows machine I have EVER
setup over the years I consistently see NOTHING but problems with
Windows Update. And like Error number 0x8007004E is anything even
REMOTELY resembling user friendly ... Personally, I've simply HAD it
with MS crap-date. time for a REAL operating system: MVS-XA

--
cmillens
cmillens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87113.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Re: error : 0x8024402F
cmillens wrote:
> Ok - now, tell me something. Would you say that MSUpdate is
> critical to the functionalty and safety of the operating system and
> the users data? I would.
> How is it then that on nearly every single Windows machine I have
> EVER setup over the years I consistently see NOTHING but problems
> with Windows Update. And like Error number 0x8007004E is anything
> even REMOTELY resembling user friendly ... Personally, I've simply
> HAD it with MS crap-date. time for a REAL operating system: MVS-XA

To answer your direct questions (quoted so there will be no mistake what I
am answering) in an honest fashion:

"Would you say that MSUpdate is critical to the functionalty and safety of
the operating system and the users data?"

.... Sure. As much as self-education and keeping up with the current needs
for security and such in the modern computing world (or having the common
sense to know you need to do that and having someone else do it for you.)

"How is it then that on nearly every single Windows machine I have EVER
setup over the years I consistently see NOTHING but problems with Windows
Update[?]"

.... Since I (and many of my friends, family, colleagues, and some passing
acquaintances) have not had this problem - I would venture to say the
problem is either in the hands of the person who set it up and/or the person
who is maintaining it. ("... I have EVER setup over the years I
consistently see ...")

If the machine is Windows XP - clean it up and make sure the updates and
installer portions of it are actually up to date. It is usually the
*cleanup* that does the fixing (which would not be needed if proper
maintenance/prevention had been observed originally) - because something
*caused* the problem and it is usually improper procedures, maintenance or
preventive maintenance.

I say this not to 'down the user' - and before you start to say how much I
love Microsoft - my opinion would not change if they disappeared tomorrow
and something else took their place and inevitably the same problems started
to crop up. *Poof* gone, okay - don't care, didn't before. I say this
because it is usually (with few and far-between exceptions) a fact.

Want to know what to do to cleanup your Windows Updates (in Windows XP
32-bit) and your machine of most spyware/adware and make sure you have the
latest installer?

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

If it seemed to have failed, do this:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

cmillens

Re: error : 0x8024402F

I shouldn't *HAVE* to clean 'em up for the sate of peak - these are
fresh installs with new hardware and with nothing but MS applications
installed (and yes - I know I failed to mention that in my previous
post): Office 2007 Professional, VS.NET 2005 Professional, VS.NET 2008
Professional and Sql Management Studio is all that's on THIS particular
machine. And I shouldn't have had to futz with DCOM and MSDTC to get the
SQL Management Studio working either. I'm just sick of it - that's all
... and now I'm fighting with IIS and getting ASP.NET working - all I
get is a HTTP Error 500 and nothing is in the event log. Come ON MS -
get it together!!

FWIT: I shouldn't have to get a call a 10:00pm cause Dad can't read his
MSN Email again or that he's lost all his contacts again (17 times MSN
has lost all his contacts in the past month!) - again - I'm just plain
SICK of it

--
cmillens
cmillens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87113.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/693166.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: error : 0x8024402F
cmillens wrote:

> I shouldn't *HAVE* to clean 'em up for the sate of peak - these are
> fresh installs with new hardware and with nothing but MS applications
> installed [...]

If you're running Windows XP, there is a specific issue with Windows Update on
newly installed machines which might be apropro (scenario 2):

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

I'd heard this had been fixed recently, but I haven't actually had a chance to
try it yet so I can't be certain.

Alternately, have you checked that there isn't a problem with your install media
or perhaps the network?

Harry.

(and yes - I know I failed to mention that in my previous
> post): Office 2007 Professional, VS.NET 2005 Professional, VS.NET 2008
> Professional and Sql Management Studio is all that's on THIS particular
> machine. And I shouldn't have had to futz with DCOM and MSDTC to get the
> SQL Management Studio working either. I'm just sick of it - that's all
> .. and now I'm fighting with IIS and getting ASP.NET working - all I
> get is a HTTP Error 500 and nothing is in the event log. Come ON MS -
> get it together!!
>
> FWIT: I shouldn't have to get a call a 10:00pm cause Dad can't read his
> MSN Email again or that he's lost all his contacts again (17 times MSN
> has lost all his contacts in the past month!) - again - I'm just plain
> SICK of it

Shenan Stanley

Re: error : 0x8024402F

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> To answer your direct questions (quoted so there will be no mistake
> what I am answering) in an honest fashion:
>
> "Would you say that MSUpdate is critical to the functionalty and
> safety of the operating system and the users data?"
>
> ... Sure. As much as self-education and keeping up with the
> current needs for security and such in the modern computing world
> (or having the common sense to know you need to do that and having
> someone else do it for you.)
>
> "How is it then that on nearly every single Windows machine I have
> EVER setup over the years I consistently see NOTHING but problems
> with Windows Update[?]"
>
> ... Since I (and many of my friends, family, colleagues, and some
> passing acquaintances) have not had this problem - I would venture
> to say the problem is either in the hands of the person who set it
> up and/or the person who is maintaining it. ("... I have EVER
> setup over the years I consistently see ...")
>
> If the machine is Windows XP - clean it up and make sure the
> updates and installer portions of it are actually up to date. It
> is usually the *cleanup* that does the fixing (which would not be
> needed if proper maintenance/prevention had been observed
> originally) - because something *caused* the problem and it is
> usually improper procedures, maintenance or preventive maintenance.
>
> I say this not to 'down the user' - and before you start to say how
> much I love Microsoft - my opinion would not change if they
> disappeared tomorrow and something else took their place and
> inevitably the same problems started to crop up. *Poof* gone, okay
> - don't care, didn't before. I say this because it is usually
> (with few and far-between exceptions) a fact.
>
> Want to know what to do to cleanup your Windows Updates (in Windows
> XP 32-bit) and your machine of most spyware/adware and make sure
> you have the latest installer?

<snipped for brevity>
<if interested - go to the link below>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7e4875f344ab84
</if interested - go to the link above>

cmillens wrote:
> I shouldn't *HAVE* to clean 'em up for the sate of peak - these are
> fresh installs with new hardware and with nothing but MS
> applications installed (and yes - I know I failed to mention that
> in my previous post): Office 2007 Professional, VS.NET 2005
> Professional, VS.NET 2008 Professional and Sql Management Studio is
> all that's on THIS particular machine. And I shouldn't have had to
> futz with DCOM and MSDTC to get the SQL Management Studio working
> either. I'm just sick of it - that's all .. and now I'm fighting
> with IIS and getting ASP.NET working - all I get is a HTTP Error
> 500 and nothing is in the event log. Come ON MS - get it together!!
>
> FWIT: I shouldn't have to get a call a 10:00pm cause Dad can't read
> his MSN Email again or that he's lost all his contacts again (17
> times MSN has lost all his contacts in the past month!) - again -
> I'm just plain SICK of it

Fair enough.

Doesn't change the answer or the reasoning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

arnaldocollazo2000@gmail.com

Re: error : 0x8024402F
On Apr 2, 6:46*pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
> time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one. *I would completely avoid the Optional
> Hardware updates.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> ... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
> If it seemed to have failed, do this:
>
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
> and then click OK.
>
> Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
> code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.
>
> You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

Hi, I thought that this thing was gonna take for ever!!!! LOL Thanks a
lot for this information it was very helpful! Now it's running nice
haha Thanks!