Can't use Windows Update -

Miles

Can't use Windows Update -
for the past few weeks now, I can't scan for updates. It says "looking for
available updates 0%, but then stops and tells me that "Windows Update has
encountered an error and cannot display the requested page."

I am running windows xp x64 SP2.

TIA,
--
Miles Gibson

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Miles wrote:
> for the past few weeks now, I can't scan for updates. It says "looking
> for
> available updates 0%, but then stops and tells me that "Windows Update has
> encountered an error and cannot display the requested page."
>
> I am running windows xp x64 SP2.
>
> TIA,

Miles

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
No, it is set to notify me but don't automatically download or install them.
I think my domain security policy won't let me change this setting. Why on
Earth would that affect a manual update?
--
Miles Gibson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> Miles wrote:
> > for the past few weeks now, I can't scan for updates. It says "looking
> > for
> > available updates 0%, but then stops and tells me that "Windows Update has
> > encountered an error and cannot display the requested page."
> >
> > I am running windows xp x64 SP2.
> >
> > TIA,

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
In fact, Automatic Updates is enabled and you have chosen the Notify Only
option.

Please state your IE version, Miles.

What third-party firewall (if any)? If you recently installed IE7 or IE8,
were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
it?

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
error and cannot display the requested page":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226

You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883614
--
~PA Bear

Miles wrote:
> No, it is set to notify me but don't automatically download or install
> them.
> I think my domain security policy won't let me change this setting. Why
> on
> Earth would that affect a manual update?
>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> Miles wrote:
>>> for the past few weeks now, I can't scan for updates. It says "looking
>>> for
>>> available updates 0%, but then stops and tells me that "Windows Update
>>> has
>>> encountered an error and cannot display the requested page."
>>>
>>> I am running windows xp x64 SP2.

Miles

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
IE8, but the problem occured with IE7 as well. no local anti-virus software
installed.
I tried the support kb below, but it didn't help. I do note that the file
iuctl.dll mentioned in the article does not exist. Same for ieengine.dll.
Both BITS and the Automatic Updates services are started.
--
Miles Gibson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> In fact, Automatic Updates is enabled and you have chosen the Notify Only
> option.
>
> Please state your IE version, Miles.

> What third-party firewall (if any)? If you recently installed IE7 or IE8,
> were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> it?
>
> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
> site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
> error and cannot display the requested page":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226
>
> You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
> the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883614
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Miles wrote:
> > No, it is set to notify me but don't automatically download or install
> > them.
> > I think my domain security policy won't let me change this setting. Why
> > on
> > Earth would that affect a manual update?
> >
> >> Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
> no local anti-virus software installed

Why not? Could that be the reason that you may be seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection?

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Miles wrote:
> IE8, but the problem occured with IE7 as well. no local anti-virus
> software
> installed.
> I tried the support kb below, but it didn't help. I do note that the file
> iuctl.dll mentioned in the article does not exist. Same for ieengine.dll.
> Both BITS and the Automatic Updates services are started.
>
>> In fact, Automatic Updates is enabled and you have chosen the Notify Only
>> option.
>>
>> Please state your IE version, Miles.

>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? If you recently installed
>> IE7 or IE8, were any of these applications running in the background when
>> you installed it?
>>
>> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
>> site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
>> error and cannot display the requested page":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226
>>
>> You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
>> the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883614
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Miles wrote:
>>> No, it is set to notify me but don't automatically download or install
>>> them.
>>> I think my domain security policy won't let me change this setting. Why
>>> on
>>> Earth would that affect a manual update?

Miles

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
I had to use FireFox to download the tool using the link you provided, as IE8
hung. I have run the tool in Full Scan mode, but it did not return any
infected files. Next idea?
--
Miles Gibson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > no local anti-virus software installed

> Why not? Could that be the reason that you may be seeing the affects of a
> hijackware infection?

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!
>
> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
> Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Miles wrote:
> > IE8, but the problem occured with IE7 as well. no local anti-virus
> > software
> > installed.
> > I tried the support kb below, but it didn't help. I do note that the file
> > iuctl.dll mentioned in the article does not exist. Same for ieengine.dll.
> > Both BITS and the Automatic Updates services are started.
> >
> >> In fact, Automatic Updates is enabled and you have chosen the Notify Only
> >> option.
> >>
> >> Please state your IE version, Miles.
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? If you recently installed
> >> IE7 or IE8, were any of these applications running in the background when
> >> you installed it?
> >>
> >> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
> >> site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
> >> error and cannot display the requested page":
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226
> >>
> >> You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
> >> the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
Now complete #2 and #3.

Miles wrote:
> I had to use FireFox to download the tool using the link you provided, as
> IE8 hung. I have run the tool in Full Scan mode, but it did not return
> any
> infected files. Next idea?
>
>>> no local anti-virus software installed

>> Why not? Could that be the reason that you may be seeing the affects of
>> hijackware infection?
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!
>>
>> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
>> Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Miles wrote:
>>> IE8, but the problem occured with IE7 as well. no local anti-virus
>>> software
>>> installed.
>>> I tried the support kb below, but it didn't help. I do note that the
>>> file
>>> iuctl.dll mentioned in the article does not exist. Same for
>>> ieengine.dll.
>>> Both BITS and the Automatic Updates services are started.

Miles

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
Then what? Is there a way to download the windows updates manually? How do
I replace those missing files: iuctl.dll and wuengine.dll?
--
Miles Gibson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Now complete #2 and #3.
>
> Miles wrote:
> > I had to use FireFox to download the tool using the link you provided, as
> > IE8 hung. I have run the tool in Full Scan mode, but it did not return
> > any
> > infected files. Next idea?

> >> Why not? Could that be the reason that you may be seeing the affects of
> >> hijackware infection?
> >>
> >> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
> >>
> >> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!
> >>
> >> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
> >> Mode with Networking, if need be:
> >> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
> >>
> >> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> >> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> **Seek expert assistance in
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> =====================
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Can't use Windows Update -
Did the #2 scan detect & remove anything?

Can you post a link to your forum thread from #3?