what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715

Gracie

what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website,
http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose to
download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).

According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following
characteristics:

Download size (total): 960 KB
Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes

Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes
1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download should have
competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091. But
after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to download in
excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows Update
website via http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us

I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It
continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In fact,
it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.

What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP (KB967715)?
Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?

Gracie

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715

"Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wrote in message news:gr22cu0paf@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website, http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose
> to download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).
>
> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following characteristics:
>
> Download size (total): 960 KB
> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes
>
> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes 1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download
> should have competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091. But after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the
> connection continuing to download in excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows Update website via
> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
>
> I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size
> stated. In fact, it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.
>
> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP (KB967715)?

Where are you getting your numbers? If you are just reading from
a network status then it could just mean that the download is hung
and won't terminate for some reason.

Have you looked at the WindowsUpdate.log for clues? (ref. KB902093)

> Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?
>
> Gracie

Perhaps but you might be misinterpreting your symptoms too. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

jgwatts

RE: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
Gracie, I am having a lot of the same problem but file is not continuing to
run. After a while it says download was unsuccessful.

Jgwatts

"Gracie" wrote:

> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website,
> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose to
> download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).
>
> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following
> characteristics:
>
> Download size (total): 960 KB
> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes
>
> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes
> 1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download should have
> competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091. But
> after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to download in
> excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows Update
> website via http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
>
> I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It
> continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In fact,
> it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.
>
> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP (KB967715)?
> Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?
>
> Gracie

Gracie

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
Sorry to hear that Jgwatts.

This sucks!

Gracie

"jgwatts" <jgwatts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gracie, I am having a lot of the same problem but file is not continuing
> run. After a while it says download was unsuccessful.
>
> Jgwatts
>
> "Gracie" wrote:
>
>> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website,
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose
>> download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).
>>
>> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following
>> characteristics:
>>
>> Download size (total): 960 KB
>> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes
>>
>> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes
>> 1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download should have
>> competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.
>> But
>> after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to download in
>> excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows Update
>> website via
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
>>
>> I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It
>> continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In
>> fact,
>> it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.
>>
>> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP
>> (KB967715)?
>> Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?
>>
>> Gracie

Gracie

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
Irrelevent.

> "Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wrote in message
>> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website,
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose
>> to download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).
>>
>> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following
>> characteristics:
>>
>> Download size (total): 960 KB
>> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes
>>
>> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes
>> 1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download should have
>> competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.
>> But after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to download
>> in excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows
>> Update website via
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
>>
>> I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It
>> continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In
>> fact, it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.
>>
>> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP
>> (KB967715)?

> Where are you getting your numbers? If you are just reading from
> a network status then it could just mean that the download is hung
> and won't terminate for some reason.
>
> Have you looked at the WindowsUpdate.log for clues? (ref. KB902093)
>

>> Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?
>>
>> Gracie

> Perhaps but you might be misinterpreting your symptoms too. ; )
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Gracie

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
Because your reference is conditional, it states: If you receive an error
message on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Automatic
Updates service, you can use the information that is included in the
Windowsupdate.log log file to troubleshoot the issue.

I did not receive an error. Therefore it is irrelevant.

Gracie

> "Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wrote in message
>> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Update website,
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, I chose
>> to download/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).
>>
>> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has the following
>> characteristics:
>>
>> Download size (total): 960 KB
>> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5 minutes
>>
>> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated - Bytes
>> 1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download should have
>> competed with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.
>> But after over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to download
>> in excess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the Windows
>> Update website via
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
>>
>> I rebooted my system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. It
>> continued to load far in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In
>> fact, it continued to download beyond this figure by over 4MB.
>>
>> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for Windows XP
>> (KB967715)?

> Where are you getting your numbers? If you are just reading from
> a network status then it could just mean that the download is hung
> and won't terminate for some reason.
>
> Have you looked at the WindowsUpdate.log for clues? (ref. KB902093)
>

>> Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?
>>
>> Gracie

> Perhaps but you might be misinterpreting your symptoms too. ; )
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

H Brown

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
I went to the link below an read it.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...FirstWindo ws XP KB967715 as stated from link above, the download is 3.0MB, MegaBytes. The estimated download time: for 56K modem is estimated at8minutes.Rarely if ever and I have never seen one achieve any where near theit stated capabilities. It depends on many factors that can change formminute to minute, hour to hour, day to day as to what the download speed ofa dialup connection using a 56K modem will in fact be.You lucky if you canget 1/2 of 56 kilo bits a sec. and kilo is only 1000 bits from the modemsview point.Be sure and read this article by Steve Kallestad "How Fast is 56K" athttp://www.stevekallestad.com/blog/how_fast_is_56k.html .You may already have this update installed. How ever it would beUpdate953252 see Knowledge Base article 950582. You should reviewhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 to understand why you may alreadyhave the update. Check you Windows update.log as well. I think its safe tosay that as far a "worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies" coming from MSthe file is safe, but save the file and scan it before you run it to installfor peace of mind.You may have many apps running in the background slowing your downloads. Maybe one of your security programs. Get the apps that are running in thebackground out of the way. NOT windows services unless you know what yourdoing.Down load the update fromhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7dbcde3-7814-47c5-849e-e64ecfb35d74&displaylang=en#RelatedLinksFirstsave it to a folder you download folder or desktop so you can scan it thenin stall it. Just make sure you shut down the programs like your antivirusand other programs that you may have running in the back ground. I would goto system configuration and hide the Windows services and then disable theservices that remain, then disable the start up apps click on "Apply" then"OK" button. For those setting to take affect Restart your computer and install the update in question once you have determined you don't already haveit in stalled.You may be asked after the install process that window needs to restart yourcomputer to finish the install, follow those directions. When all that isfinished go back to system configurations (config for search) in startupselection click the little button Normal startup to load all device driversand services click on "Apply" then "OK" button then restart your computer sothe changes will take affect.H Brown"Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wrote inmessagenews:gr22cu0paf@enews4.newsguy.com...> Regarding my latest visit to the Windows Updatewebsite,http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, Ichose todownload/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).>> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update has thefollowingcharacteristics:>> Download size (total): 960 KB> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5minutes>> Before starting Install Updates, my connection status stated -Bytes1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download shouldhavecompeted with my connection status at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.Butafter over 15 minutes, at 56K, the connection continuing to downloadinexcess of 6,100,000, I canceled and disconnected from the WindowsUpdatewebsite viawww.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us>> I rebootedmy system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. Itcontinued to loadfar in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In fact,it continued todownload beyond this figure by over 4MB.>> What is wrong with Windows Update and the Update for WindowsXP(KB967715)? Is it full of worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?>> Gracie>
H Brown

Re: what is wrong with - Windows Update Windows XP KB967715
use this link
Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
article by Steve Kallestad "How Fast is 56K"
http://www.stevekallestad.com/blog/how_fast_is_56k.html
Sorry about the post something happened during the editing process but you
should be able to read it ok.
If not let me know.

H Brown

"H Brown" <H.Brown@Invalid.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> time at your connection speed: 5minutes>> Before starting Install Updates,
> my connection status stated -Bytes1,062,051 and since 960 KB = 983,040
> Bytes, this download shouldhavecompeted with my connection status at
> 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.Butafter over 15 minutes, at 56K, the
> connection continuing to downloadinexcess of 6,100,000, I canceled and
> disconnected from the WindowsUpdatewebsite
> viawww.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us>> I
> rebootedmy system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. Itcontinued
> to loadfar in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In fact,it
> continued todownload beyond this figure by over 4MB.>> What is wrong with
> Windows Update and the Update for WindowsXP(KB967715)? Is it full of
> worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies?>> Gracie>

Re: what is wrong with -(edit Fix) Windows Update Windows XP KB967715

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...splaylang=enXP KB967715 as stated from link above, the download is 3.0MB, Mega Bytes.The estimated download time: for 56K modem is estimated at 8minutes. Rarelyif ever and I have never seen one achieve any where near the statedcapabilities. It depends on many factors that can change for mminute tominute, hour to hour, day to day as to what the download speed of a dialupconnection using a 56K modem will in fact be. You lucky if you canget 1/2 of56 kilo bits a sec. and kilo is only 1000 bits from the modems view point.Be sure and read this article by Steve Kallestad "How Fast is 56K" athttp://www.stevekallestad.com/blog/how_fast_is_56k.html .You may alreadyhave this update installed. How ever it would beUpdate953252 see KnowledgeBase article 950582. You should reviewhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 to understand why you may alreadyhave the update. Check you Windows update.log/history as well. I think itssafe to say that as far as "worms, trojans, viruses or other maladies"coming from MS the file is safe, but save the file and scan it before yourun it to install for peace of mind. You may have many apps running in thebackground slowing your downloads. Maybe one of your security programs. Getthe apps that are running in thebackground out of the way. NOT windowsservices unless you know what your doing.Down load the update fromhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7dbcde3-7814-47c5-849e-e64ecfb35d74&displaylang=enFirst save it to a folder you download folder or desktop so you can scan itthen in stall it. Just make sure you shut down the programs like yourantivirus and other programs that you may have running in the back groundfirst. I would go to system configuration and hide the Windows services andthen disable the services that remain, then disable the start up apps thenclick on "Apply" then"OK" button, for those setting to take affect Restartyour computer and install the update in question once you have determinedyou don't already haveit in stalled.You may be asked after the install process that window needs to restartyourcomputer to finish the install, follow those directions. When all thatis finished go back to system configurations (config for search) in startupselection click the little button Normal startup to load all device driversand services click on "Apply" then "OK" button then restart your computer sothe changes will take affect.H Brown"Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wroteinmessagenews:gr22cu0paf@enews4.newsguy.com.. .> Regarding my latest visit to the WindowsUpdatewebsite,http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us, Ichose todownload/install the Windows Update Windows XP (KB967715).>> According to the Microsoft's screen, this update hasthefollowingcharacteristics:>> Download size (total): 960 KB> Estimated time at your connection speed: 5minutes>> Before startingInstall Updates, my connection status stated -Bytes1,062,051 and since 960KB = 983,040 Bytes, this download shouldhavecompeted with my connectionstatus at 1,062,051 + 983,0404 = 2,045,091.Butafter over 15 minutes, at 56K,the connection continuing to downloadinexcess of 6,100,000, I canceled anddisconnected from the WindowsUpdatewebsiteviawww.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us>> Irebootedmy system and tried 3 more times and nothing changed. Itcontinuedto loadfar in excess of the 960K Download size stated. In fact,it continuedtodownload beyond this figure by over 4MB.>> What is wrong with WindowsUpdate and the Update for WindowsXP(KB967715)? Is it full of worms, trojans,viruses or other maladies?>> Gracie>

"Gracie" <gracie@gracie.gracie> wrote in message news:gr3ge101p0u@enews5.newsguy.com...
> Because your reference is conditional, it states: If you receive an error
> message on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Automatic
> Updates service, you can use the information that is included in the
> Windowsupdate.log log file to troubleshoot the issue.
>
> I did not receive an error. Therefore it is irrelevant.

You could use the verbose logging option mentioned in that article to increase
the amount of logging if necessary but I suspect that even without that extra
logging there will be clues in your WindowsUpdate.log to help explain
your symptom.

Also if necessary you could Run... ProcMon to trace file activity
including whatever logging you allow. With that you could infer
how that file activity influenced the production of whatever log messages
your see.

Etc.

BTW if you want help please do your responders the courtesy of answering
their questions.

Good luck

Robert
---