Reinstall Update Not in Catalog

fred

Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
Hi,

I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security Update
for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored my
registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.

It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.

Please help me find it.

Fred
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
fred wrote:

> I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security Update
> for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored my
> registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.

Could you define "restored my registry" in more detail please? Do you mean you
used a system restore point?

> It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
> catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.
>
> Please help me find it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If the update isn't currently installed,
use Microsoft Update. If the update is not in Add/Remove Programs but isn't
offered by Microsoft Update, this suggests that the system is in an inconsistent
state which isn't a good sign in general terms, but with regards to this
particular update you could download it from the Microsoft web site and install
it manually.

Harry.
fred

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you in that Microsoft Update thinks it's installed, but my
computer apparently does not. It's not good.

The problem is that in Microsoft Update's history it's listed as KB951376
with a date of 4-1-2009. When I search for KB951376, it is dated 6-19-2008.
Is that the same update?

Fred

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> fred wrote:
>
> > I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security Update
> > for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored my
> > registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.

> Could you define "restored my registry" in more detail please? Do you mean you
> used a system restore point?
>
> > It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
> > catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.
> >
> > Please help me find it.

> I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If the update isn't currently installed,
> use Microsoft Update. If the update is not in Add/Remove Programs but isn't
> offered by Microsoft Update, this suggests that the system is in an inconsistent
> state which isn't a good sign in general terms, but with regards to this
> particular update you could download it from the Microsoft web site and install
> it manually.
>
> Harry.

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
posting to this newsgroup.

KB951375 was released on 10 June 2008: How did you install KB951376 (e.g.,
via Automatic Updates; Windows Update website; manually after downloading it
from Microsoft Update Catalog)? Why is it that you're just installing it
now and not last June?

Echoing Harry, what does "restored [your] registry" mean? If you're
referring to System Restore, why did you "restore" your computer?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

fred wrote:
> I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security Update
> for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored my
> registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.
>
> It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
> catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.
>
> Please help me find it.
>
> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
Win XP Pro SP3

It installed using Microsoft Update. The only thing that I can think of
that installed it Apr 1 was possibly that I deleted every *.tmp file I could
find about then. I really have no idea. After I got curious, I checked
Microsoft Update history, and the update is listed in June 2008, too.

I restored my registry using a program called BackupMyPC. I don't think
that it's sold anymore, but it had good reviews in it's time. It has an
option to back up or restore the "system state" which is the registry and
C:\Windows and System32 and Common Files, and probably others. I didn't pay
close attention. It appeared to copy the data temporarily first and then do
a restart when it actually restored it. I have a MS bluetooth keyboard and
mouse and it quit working and the option to turn on discovery would get
errors, so I decided to use that restore option. It didn't help, though.
What actually worked was uninstalling the bluetooth enumerator and
transceiver and then scanning for hardware changes and it corrected itself.
I found an article at first that said to make sure bluetooth support was
logged on as a local service. It wasn't, so I changed it. That fixed it,
then, but when I rebooted, the problem recurred even though it stayed logged
on as a local service. That's when I uninstalled it and it started working
again.

Sorry I missed the details.

Fred

fred wrote:

> I agree with you in that Microsoft Update thinks it's installed, but my
> computer apparently does not. It's not good.

From your description of what you've done, I'd guess that the update is still
installed, and only the information in Add/Remove Programs has been removed by
the restore procedure. However, it would be a good idea to reinstall it to make
sure, and this should also put the update back into Add/Remove Programs.

You should also check any other installations or changes you made between the
time you made the system state backup and restore, as they could also be in an
inconsistent state.

> The problem is that in Microsoft Update's history it's listed as KB951376
> with a date of 4-1-2009. When I search for KB951376, it is dated 6-19-2008.
> Is that the same update?

Yes. The date in MU history would be the date it was (re)installed, not the
release date of the update. The reason MU decided to reinstalled it then is
unclear, but probably doesn't matter too much.

Harry.

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> fred wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security Update
>>> for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored my
>>> registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.

>> Could you define "restored my registry" in more detail please? Do you mean you
>> used a system restore point?
>>
>>> It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
>>> catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.
>>>
>>> Please help me find it.

>> I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If the update isn't currently installed,
>> use Microsoft Update. If the update is not in Add/Remove Programs but isn't
>> offered by Microsoft Update, this suggests that the system is in an inconsistent
>> state which isn't a good sign in general terms, but with regards to this
>> particular update you could download it from the Microsoft web site and install
>> it manually.
>>
>> Harry.

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
What Harry said.

In future, I would strongly recommend that you abandon BackupMyPC. Should
the need arise to "restore" your Registry to an earlier time, use WinXP's
System Restore instead.

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> It installed using Microsoft Update. The only thing that I can think of
> that installed it Apr 1 was possibly that I deleted every *.tmp file I
> could
> find about then. I really have no idea. After I got curious, I checked
> Microsoft Update history, and the update is listed in June 2008, too.
>
> I restored my registry using a program called BackupMyPC. I don't think
> that it's sold anymore, but it had good reviews in it's time. It has an
> option to back up or restore the "system state" which is the registry and
> C:\Windows and System32 and Common Files, and probably others. I didn't
> pay
> close attention. It appeared to copy the data temporarily first and then
> do
> a restart when it actually restored it. I have a MS bluetooth keyboard
> and
> mouse and it quit working and the option to turn on discovery would get
> errors, so I decided to use that restore option. It didn't help, though.
> What actually worked was uninstalling the bluetooth enumerator and
> transceiver and then scanning for hardware changes and it corrected
> itself.
> I found an article at first that said to make sure bluetooth support was
> logged on as a local service. It wasn't, so I changed it. That fixed it,
> then, but when I rebooted, the problem recurred even though it stayed
> logged
> on as a local service. That's when I uninstalled it and it started
> working
> again.
>
> Sorry I missed the details.
>
> Fred

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> KB951375 was released on 10 June 2008: How did you install KB951376
>> (e.g.,
>> via Automatic Updates; Windows Update website; manually after downloading
>> it from Microsoft Update Catalog)? Why is it that you're just installing
>> it now and not last June?
>>
>> Echoing Harry, what does "restored [your] registry" mean? If you're
>> referring to System Restore, why did you "restore" your computer?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> fred wrote:
>>> I just installed the latest update from Microsoft Update (Security
>>> Update
>>> for Windows XP (KB951376)) dated 4-1-2009. Since then I have restored
>>> my
>>> registry and wish to reinstall it just to be sure.
>>>
>>> It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs. When I used the download
>>> catalog, all I can find is one dated June of 2008.
>>>
>>> Please help me find it.
>>>
>>> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't had much luck with System Restore,
however. I've turned it off, rebooted, and turned it back on as I've heard
that that's supposed to fix it. I'll try to remember to use it next time.

Fred

> What Harry said.
>
> In future, I would strongly recommend that you abandon BackupMyPC. Should
> the need arise to "restore" your Registry to an earlier time, use WinXP's
> System Restore instead.
>

> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>> Win XP Pro SP3
>>
>> It installed using Microsoft Update. The only thing that I can think of
>> that installed it Apr 1 was possibly that I deleted every *.tmp file I
>> could
>> find about then. I really have no idea. After I got curious, I checked
>> Microsoft Update history, and the update is listed in June 2008, too.
>>
>> I restored my registry using a program called BackupMyPC. I don't think
>> that it's sold anymore, but it had good reviews in it's time. It has an
>> option to back up or restore the "system state" which is the registry and
>> C:\Windows and System32 and Common Files, and probably others. I didn't
>> pay
>> close attention. It appeared to copy the data temporarily first and then
>> do
>> a restart when it actually restored it. I have a MS bluetooth keyboard
>> and
>> mouse and it quit working and the option to turn on discovery would get
>> errors, so I decided to use that restore option. It didn't help, though.
>> What actually worked was uninstalling the bluetooth enumerator and
>> transceiver and then scanning for hardware changes and it corrected
>> itself.
>> I found an article at first that said to make sure bluetooth support was
>> logged on as a local service. It wasn't, so I changed it. That fixed
>> it,
>> then, but when I rebooted, the problem recurred even though it stayed
>> logged
>> on as a local service. That's when I uninstalled it and it started
>> working
>> again.
>>
>> Sorry I missed the details.
>>
>> Fred

>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> KB951375 was released on 10 June 2008: How did you install KB951376
>>> (e.g.,
>>> via Automatic Updates; Windows Update website; manually after
>>> downloading
>>> it from Microsoft Update Catalog)? Why is it that you're just
>>> installing
>>> it now and not last June?
>>>
>>> Echoing Harry, what does "restored [your] registry" mean? If you're
>>> referring to System Restore, why did you "restore" your computer?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
Well, you just deleted all previous Restore Points when you did that.

Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't had much luck with System
> Restore,
> however. I've turned it off, rebooted, and turned it back on as I've
> heard
> that that's supposed to fix it. I'll try to remember to use it next time.
>
> Fred

>> What Harry said.
>>
>> In future, I would strongly recommend that you abandon BackupMyPC.
>> Should
>> the need arise to "restore" your Registry to an earlier time, use WinXP's
>> System Restore instead.
>>

>> Frederick R. Hutchings wrote:
>>> Win XP Pro SP3
>>>
>>> It installed using Microsoft Update. The only thing that I can think of
>>> that installed it Apr 1 was possibly that I deleted every *.tmp file I
>>> could
>>> find about then. I really have no idea. After I got curious, I
>>> checked
>>> Microsoft Update history, and the update is listed in June 2008, too.
>>>
>>> I restored my registry using a program called BackupMyPC. I don't think
>>> that it's sold anymore, but it had good reviews in it's time. It has an
>>> option to back up or restore the "system state" which is the registry
>>> and
>>> C:\Windows and System32 and Common Files, and probably others. I didn't
>>> pay
>>> close attention. It appeared to copy the data temporarily first and
>>> then
>>> do
>>> a restart when it actually restored it. I have a MS bluetooth keyboard
>>> and
>>> mouse and it quit working and the option to turn on discovery would get
>>> errors, so I decided to use that restore option. It didn't help,
>>> though.
>>> What actually worked was uninstalling the bluetooth enumerator and
>>> transceiver and then scanning for hardware changes and it corrected
>>> itself.
>>> I found an article at first that said to make sure bluetooth support was
>>> logged on as a local service. It wasn't, so I changed it. That fixed
>>> it,
>>> then, but when I rebooted, the problem recurred even though it stayed
>>> logged
>>> on as a local service. That's when I uninstalled it and it started
>>> working
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Sorry I missed the details.
>>>
>>> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Re: Reinstall Update Not in Catalog
True, but I had already tried, and it had told me that it couldn't restore.
It made no changes. It didn't tell me why. Not much of an error message.
I tried several restore points. No luck.

So I heard that turning it off, rebooting, and turning it back on might fix
it. I was aware that it would delete them, but they appeared to be of no
use, anyway.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1

Fred