Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)

deltorto14

Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
The update wants to be installed every day for the past 2 weeks. I install
the update and it says complete but the next day when I turn on my computer
the shield comes back and wants me to install the update again. I tried to
remove it from add and remove programs but that didn't seem to help. Any
ideas ??

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
Instructions on how to install this update is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
Read: Known issues with this security update

* Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times

Follow the instructions.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

deltorto14 wrote:

> The update wants to be installed every day for the past 2 weeks. I install
> the update and it says complete but the next day when I turn on my computer
> the shield comes back and wants me to install the update again. I tried to
> remove it from add and remove programs but that didn't seem to help. Any
> ideas ??

Mojohn3

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
The article tells me to download and save the file then install in SAFE MODE.

The only option that I see is "INSTALL" the file. I have not been able to
download and save.
Mojohn3

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Instructions on how to install this update is here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
>
> Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
> Read: Known issues with this security update
>
> * Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
>

> Follow the instructions.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> deltorto14 wrote:
>
> > The update wants to be installed every day for the past 2 weeks. I install
> > the update and it says complete but the next day when I turn on my computer
> > the shield comes back and wants me to install the update again. I tried to
> > remove it from add and remove programs but that didn't seem to help. Any
> > ideas ??

DepDoug

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
I've been working on this same problem for months. I got the update saved to
my desktop (I forget how), booted in safe mode, installed the update, and it
is still offered repeatedly. Frustrating. Somebody please help.
--
-D

"Mojohn3" wrote:

> The article tells me to download and save the file then install in SAFE MODE.
>
> The only option that I see is "INSTALL" the file. I have not been able to
> download and save.
> Mojohn3
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Instructions on how to install this update is here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
> >
> > Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
> > Read: Known issues with this security update
> >
> > * Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
> >

> > Follow the instructions.
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > deltorto14 wrote:
> >
> > > The update wants to be installed every day for the past 2 weeks. I install
> > > the update and it says complete but the next day when I turn on my computer
> > > the shield comes back and wants me to install the update again. I tried to
> > > remove it from add and remove programs but that didn't seem to help. Any
> > > ideas ??

Jeff Jewitt

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
There's quite a bit about this update re-offering. I solved the problem by
deleting the program called Roxio DLA in add/remove. It hasn't affected the
ability to burn CD's and such, and according to the Roxio site, it's for
dragging files into portable devices.

I hate to tell someone to fix this by deleting a program, but it's the only
thing that worked for me after working for 2 days on it.

An alternative which may work is to go to the Windows website and search for
the update. That will bring up the save or run box. Save it to your desktop.
Then restart in Safe Mode and install it. Re-boot and the yellow icon will
probably be in your toolbar. Go to the Windows update site and search for
updates again. It will probably find it and remove the icon from your
toolbar. If this doesn't work then the remove roxio DLA may be the only
option.
--
Jeff

"DepDoug" wrote:

> I've been working on this same problem for months. I got the update saved to
> my desktop (I forget how), booted in safe mode, installed the update, and it
> is still offered repeatedly. Frustrating. Somebody please help.
> --
> -D
>

> "Mojohn3" wrote:
>
> > The article tells me to download and save the file then install in SAFE MODE.
> >
> > The only option that I see is "INSTALL" the file. I have not been able to
> > download and save.
> > Mojohn3
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Instructions on how to install this update is here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
> > >
> > > Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
> > > Read: Known issues with this security update
> > >
> > > * Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
> > >

> > > Follow the instructions.
> > >

> > > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > > ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
You'll need to manually downloade the update from the MS Download Center
or, show hidden files, folders, and system files, then navigate to
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and locate update.exe in one of
the randomly named subfolders.
So, the first method is much simpler.
Since you have not specified which edition of Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...typ e=s_basic

Choose the correct one for the installed edition of Windows.
Boot to Safe Mode.
Install the update.
Reboot.

Be forewarned that Roxio's DLA component may **delete** the registry
subkey set by the update if it is not Disabled from loading on Startup
or uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
If that occurs the update will be reoffered.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Mojohn3 wrote:

> The article tells me to download and save the file then install in SAFE MODE.
>
> The only option that I see is "INSTALL" the file. I have not been able to
> download and save.
> Mojohn3
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Instructions on how to install this update is here:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
>>
>>Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
>>Read: Known issues with this security update
>>
>> * Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
>>

>>Follow the instructions.
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>deltorto14 wrote:
>>

>>>The update wants to be installed every day for the past 2 weeks. I install
>>>the update and it says complete but the next day when I turn on my computer
>>>the shield comes back and wants me to install the update again. I tried to
>>>remove it from add and remove programs but that didn't seem to help. Any
>>>ideas ??

Jeff Jewitt

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)
I did not try that -

If you want to disable Roxio DLA from startup uncheck the following in
Startup (run msconfig from the run command prompt)

DLA-DLACTRLW.EXE
--
Jeff

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll need to manually downloade the update from the MS Download Center
> or, show hidden files, folders, and system files, then navigate to
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and locate update.exe in one of
> the randomly named subfolders.
> So, the first method is much simpler.
> Since you have not specified which edition of Windows:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...typ e=s_basic
>
> Choose the correct one for the installed edition of Windows.
> Boot to Safe Mode.
> Install the update.
> Reboot.
>
> Be forewarned that Roxio's DLA component may **delete** the registry
> subkey set by the update if it is not Disabled from loading on Startup
> or uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> If that occurs the update will be reoffered.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> DepDoug wrote:
>
> > I've been working on this same problem for months. I got the update saved to
> > my desktop (I forget how), booted in safe mode, installed the update, and it
> > is still offered repeatedly. Frustrating. Somebody please help.

Rlw

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Since you have not specified which edition of Windows:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...typ e=s_basic
>
> Choose the correct one for the installed edition of Windows.
> Boot to Safe Mode.
> Install the update.
> Reboot.
>
> Be forewarned that Roxio's DLA component may **delete** the registry
> subkey set by the update if it is not Disabled from loading on Startup
> or uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> If that occurs the update will be reoffered.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Mojohn3 wrote:
>
> > The article tells me to download and save the file then install in SAFE MODE.
> >
> > The only option that I see is "INSTALL" the file. I have not been able to
> > download and save.
> > Mojohn3
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Instructions on how to install this update is here:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
> >>
> >>Expand > Frequently Asked Questions
> >>Read: Known issues with this security update
> >>
> >> * Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
> >>

> >>Follow the instructions.
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

I used the approach of stopping the Roxio DLA component from installing from
the start up menu. This after two days seems to have allow the kb967715 to
install and not be reoffered. Have not gone back to start menu and allowed
the Roxio DLA component to start again. Not something that I use very often
if ever so waiting a while. I wish some one had mentioned this several days
ago and it would have saved me tons of time and trouble.
arnie98683

Re: Installing Update for windows XP (KB967715)

The following solution recommended by Microsoft techs actually works:

The most common cause for this issue is shell32.dll has not been
replaced successfully while installing KB967715. I suggest we install
KB950582 to fix this issue because KB950582 includes the latest version
of shell32.dll therefore we do not need to install KB967715 after
installing KB950582. I suggest we refer the following steps to test the
issue.

Step: Download and Install KB950582
=============================
1. Please download Update for Windows XP (KB950582) from following
link.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...82-x86-ENU.exe

2. Please double click the downloaded file to install.
3. After installing Update for Windows XP (KB950582), please reboot the
computer and check the issue on the update website again.

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us

If the site doesn't list any updates to install, it means the current
system is secure with all necessary updates installed and no
troubleshooting is needed.

If the above does not work, contact Microsoft techs for free at their
"Help and Support" link in the update section of the website. They are
very helpful and will get back to you soon.

--
arnie98683
arnie98683's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/101080.htm

http://forums.techarena.in