Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

"Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009
RunningScared
 

Posts: n/a
"Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"
When checking for updates this morning, I got the message "This website wants
to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update' from 'Microsoft
Corporatiion'. If you trust the website etc. etc.

I don't ever remember getting this message for an ActiveX before for a
Microsoft site. Since everyone is talking about this virus that will infect
on 04/01/09, I'm a little worried. I haven't run it because I'm too scared.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"
Assuming WinXP:

The WGA-related ActiveX control offered by Microsoft Update website is
frequently updated/revised. You MUST install it in order to be able to use
Microsoft Update website.

The WGA-related ActiveX control offered by Microsoft Update website is NOT
the
same as WGA Notifications application
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474).

Automatic Updates (AU) functionality
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525) is NOT dependent on the WGA-related
ActiveX control. If you don't want to install the WGA-related ActiveX
control, rely on AU to keep your machine fully-patched.

NB: You MUST have WinXP SP2 installed for AU to work. About a year from
now, you will have to have WinXP SP3 installed for AU to work.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RunningScared wrote:
> When checking for updates this morning, I got the message "This website
> wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update' from 'Microsoft
> Corporatiion'. If you trust the website etc. etc.
>
> I don't ever remember getting this message for an ActiveX before for a
> Microsoft site. Since everyone is talking about this virus that will
> infect
> on 04/01/09, I'm a little worried. I haven't run it because I'm too
> scared.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009
Toni Russell
 

Posts: n/a
Installing Active X control
I have not updated to Windows 7 and am using Word 2003. This morning I received an email with an attachment written in Word 2007, which I can't open without upgrading, although I have 'automatic updates' enabled.
When I go into the new Microsoft Update site I get the message "the website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft update from "microsoft Corporation"'. I click on install and then run on the Active X box, but all that happens is that the "the website ......." message comes up again.
I've tried rebooting, restarting the program, going in through trying to open the email attachment, but always the same result.
Help?



RunningScare wrote:

"Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"
01-Apr-09

When checking for updates this morning, I got the message "This website wants
to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update' from 'Microsoft
Corporatiion'. If you trust the website etc. etc.

I don't ever remember getting this message for an ActiveX before for a
Microsoft site. Since everyone is talking about this virus that will infect
on 04/01/09, I'm a little worried. I haven't run it because I'm too scared.

Previous Posts In This Thread:

On 01 April 2009 13:05
RunningScare wrote:

"Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"
When checking for updates this morning, I got the message "This website wants
to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update' from 'Microsoft
Corporatiion'. If you trust the website etc. etc.

I don't ever remember getting this message for an ActiveX before for a
Microsoft site. Since everyone is talking about this virus that will infect
on 04/01/09, I'm a little worried. I haven't run it because I'm too scared.

On 01 April 2009 17:00
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Re: "Microsoft Update" from "Microsoft Corporation"
Assuming WinXP:

The WGA-related ActiveX control offered by Microsoft Update website is
frequently updated/revised. You MUST install it in order to be able to use
Microsoft Update website.

The WGA-related ActiveX control offered by Microsoft Update website is NOT
the
same as WGA Notifications application
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474).

Automatic Updates (AU) functionality
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525) is NOT dependent on the WGA-related
ActiveX control. If you don't want to install the WGA-related ActiveX
control, rely on AU to keep your machine fully-patched.

NB: You MUST have WinXP SP2 installed for AU to work. About a year from
now, you will have to have WinXP SP3 installed for AU to work.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RunningScared wrote:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Visual Studio.NET: Help Yourself!
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...et-help-y.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Active X control
You need : http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/pr...686761033.aspx
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
file formats
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.



Toni Russell wrote:
:: I have not updated to Windows 7 and am using Word 2003. This morning
:: I received an email with an attachment written in Word 2007, which I
:: can't open without upgrading, although I have 'automatic updates'
:: enabled.
:: When I go into the new Microsoft Update site I get the message "the
:: website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft update from
:: "microsoft Corporation"'. I click on install and then run on the
:: Active X box, but all that happens is that the "the website ......."
:: message comes up again. I've tried rebooting, restarting the
:: program, going in through trying to open the email attachment, but
:: always the same result.
:: Help?
::
::
::



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2009
Toni Russell
 

Posts: n/a
Installing Active X control
Thanks v. much. I'll try that.



Toni Russell wrote:

Installing Active X control
02-Nov-09

I have not updated to Windows 7 and am using Word 2003. This morning I received an email with an attachment written in Word 2007, which I can't open without upgrading, although I have 'automatic updates' enabled.
When I go into the new Microsoft Update site I get the message "the website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft update from "microsoft Corporation"'. I click on install and then run on the Active X box, but all that happens is that the "the website ......." message comes up again.
I've tried rebooting, restarting the program, going in through trying to open the email attachment, but always the same result.
Help?

Previous Posts In This Thread:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Dundas Upload - Restrict Access - Complete Code
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-restrict.aspx
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Microsoft Corporation" rectangle at startup on my desktop.... Octavio microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 08-23-2008 20:34
Article ID: 933528 Message d'erreur lorsque vous essayez d'installer Microsoft Update sur un ordinateur Windows Vista-based : n'a pas pu "installer Microsoft Update sur l'ordinateur" KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Article ID: 927832 Die Befehle "Hinzufügen" und "Entfernen" auf der Registerkarte "Treiber" stehen auf einem Remotedruckserver mit Windows Vista nicht zur Verfügung KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 937249 "Mirovanje" is used for both the "Sleep" command and the "Hibernate" command on the "Shut Down" menu in the Slovenian version of Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 938723 "Hibernates" or "hibernation" appears instead of "sleeps" or "sleep" in Power Options in the Traditional Chinese (CHT) version of Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120