Windows update installation also failed

JINSK

Windows update installation also failed
Fox News had a guy on this a.m. who said to get a copy of the update file
from an uninfected computer. I have two computers, one infected, one not.
The update already installed on the uninfected one without me being able to
save it. Does anyway know how I can find it? The guy said to e-mail it to
the infected computer and install that way.
--
Jan
JINSK

RE: Windows update installation also failed
me again, I was wrong, both computers infected. Now what can I do? No one
seems to have a solution. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
--
Jan

"JINSK" wrote:

> Fox News had a guy on this a.m. who said to get a copy of the update file
> from an uninfected computer. I have two computers, one infected, one not.
> The update already installed on the uninfected one without me being able to
> save it. Does anyway know how I can find it? The guy said to e-mail it to
> the infected computer and install that way.
> --
> Jan

Re: Windows update installation also failed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JINSK wrote:
> me again, I was wrong, both computers infected. Now what can I do? No
> one
> seems to have a solution. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
>
>> Fox News had a guy on this a.m. who said to get a copy of the update file
>> from an uninfected computer. I have two computers, one infected, one
>> not.
>> The update already installed on the uninfected one without me being able
>> save it. Does anyway know how I can find it? The guy said to e-mail it
>> the infected computer and install that way.
>> --
>> Jan

JINSK

Re: Windows update installation also failed
OK, it seems I am downloading, now. Read lots of stuff from your suggestion,
tried one more time to empty my browser cache - this time it took a while...
then retried the update and actually got to the download page, and is
downloading as I write. Also was able to download and run a couple of other
updates on Microsoft site. Thanks!
--
Jan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
> in an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> JINSK wrote:
> > me again, I was wrong, both computers infected. Now what can I do? No
> > one
> > seems to have a solution. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
> >
> >> Fox News had a guy on this a.m. who said to get a copy of the update file
> >> from an uninfected computer. I have two computers, one infected, one
> >> not.
> >> The update already installed on the uninfected one without me being able
> >> save it. Does anyway know how I can find it? The guy said to e-mail it
> >> the infected computer and install that way.
> >> --
> >> Jan

Re: Windows update installation also failed
YW, Jan, and thanks for your feedback.

JINSK wrote:
> OK, it seems I am downloading, now. Read lots of stuff from your
> suggestion, tried one more time to empty my browser cache - this time it
> took a while... then retried the update and actually got to the download
> page, and is downloading as I write. Also was able to download and run a
> couple of other updates on Microsoft site. Thanks!
>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs
>> in an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>> shop.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> JINSK wrote:
>>> me again, I was wrong, both computers infected. Now what can I do? No
>>> one
>>> seems to have a solution. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

JINSK

Re: Windows update installation also failed
Robear,
Actually,the installation failed 5 more times. Back to the drawing board.
Read pages and pages of stuff, tried what felt like hundreds of fixes ,
finally found a link in something? that took me to PC magazine, read an
article that suggested downloading the IT version of the update - said don't
worry it's easy. As a last ditch attempt, I did that. It took 43 minutes to
download, then several more minutes to install, then patiently waited while
computer shut down, and then rebooted. The good news is - it worked. The
file that I downloaded was
Windows XP-KB936929-SP3-x86ENU. In case anyone else is following this
thread and it might help them. BTW I am running Windows XP home.
--
Jan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> YW, Jan, and thanks for your feedback.
>
> JINSK wrote:
> > OK, it seems I am downloading, now. Read lots of stuff from your
> > suggestion, tried one more time to empty my browser cache - this time it
> > took a while... then retried the update and actually got to the download
> > page, and is downloading as I write. Also was able to download and run a
> > couple of other updates on Microsoft site. Thanks!
> >
> >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> >>
> >> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> >> logs
> >> in an appropriate forum.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> **Seek expert assistance in
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
> >> shop.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Windows update installation also failed
I'd still do Steps #1, #2, and #3 in my previous reply, Jan.