SP 3

lulu

SP 3
I have windows XP Home version, with SP2 Buld 2600 and Internet exp 7. I
have tried and tried to download SP 3 KB936929, but continue to get access
denied error. I have tried downloading off the site, downloaded to my
computer and then run, I have turned off my norton antivirus, but nothing
seems to allow it. Any ideas?
Shenan Stanley

Re: SP 3
lulu wrote:
> I have windows XP Home version, with SP2 Buld 2600 and Internet
> exp 7. I have tried and tried to download SP 3 KB936929, but
> continue to get access denied error. I have tried downloading off
> the site, downloaded to my computer and then run, I have turned off
> my norton antivirus, but nothing seems to allow it. Any ideas?

Search before you post? *grin*

Although you should also review at least the short version immediately
after - in the long version, you will find this:

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

In any case, here is the short...

With proper preparation - you are unlikely to have problems - and if you
have been performing proper maintenance all along - even if you do - you are
only out a short period of time (restoring from the backup/drive image you
made wisely before diving in...)

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Suggestions:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file and/or burn the ISO download to
CD.
2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
3) CHKDSK
4) Defragment
5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.)
6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.

Some (if not all) of that is covered in the above links.

LONG:

Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should
install if...

- You are currently running Windows XP (32bit).
- You care about keeping your machine current and running its best.
- You wish to continue running Windows XP for some indeterminate time into
the future.
- You want to free support if you have any trouble installing it (SP3 that
is.)

Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the
release of SP3. You may think to yourself that you have been keeping your
PC updated - so you probably have all those updates - fact is, you'd be
incorrect. You may have all the publically released ones, but SP3 contains
1179 previously released updates - guaranteed you do not have them all
installed without it. ;-)

Most of the issues people have had with SP3 have to do with their particular
configuration or a problem caused by a third party change/mis-configuration
on their system - and almost all have a relatively simple fix.

Before starting, know where you can get help:

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
until April 2009...

Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
get SP3?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)

Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:
Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
Check these out:

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

Workarounds:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
2.http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
4.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a
non-Intel-processor-based computer (Revised 06 May-08):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
planning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP