Windows Update error 0x80246002

Aaron

Windows Update error 0x80246002
I get this error code whenever I try to install
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
Update (KB951847) x86
My update history indicates that I successfully installed (automatically)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2009 (KB890830)
on 3/20/2009
I have XP SP3, HP AMD Turion 64 mobile ML32, and have recently run full
scans with AVGFree, Avira AntiVir, Spybot S&D, and Malwarebytes antimalware,
each indicating no threats other than tracking cookies.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error 0x80246002
0x80246002 WU_E_DM_INCORRECTFILEHASH
A download manager operation could not be completed because the file
digest was not recognized.

Open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Which Versions of the Microsoft .NET Framework are listed ?

> have recently run full scans with AVGFree, Avira AntiVir

BTW, which AV is currently actively monitoring the system ?
Only *one* AV should be doing that.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Aaron wrote:

> I get this error code whenever I try to install
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
> Update (KB951847) x86
> My update history indicates that I successfully installed (automatically)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2009 (KB890830)
> on 3/20/2009
> I have XP SP3, HP AMD Turion 64 mobile ML32, and have recently run full
> scans with AVGFree, Avira AntiVir, Spybot S&D, and Malwarebytes antimalware,
> each indicating no threats other than tracking cookies.
>
> Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Aaron

Re: Windows Update error 0x80246002
> Which Versions of the Microsoft .NET Framework are listed ?
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix(KB28366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1

I shut down my AV programs before running the update, so that shouldn't be
an issue.

-Aaron

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80246002 WU_E_DM_INCORRECTFILEHASH
> A download manager operation could not be completed because the file
> digest was not recognized.
>
> Open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> Which Versions of the Microsoft .NET Framework are listed ?
>
> > have recently run full scans with AVGFree, Avira AntiVir

> BTW, which AV is currently actively monitoring the system ?
> Only *one* AV should be doing that.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Aaron wrote:
>
> > I get this error code whenever I try to install
> > Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
> > Update (KB951847) x86
> > My update history indicates that I successfully installed (automatically)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2009 (KB890830)
> > on 3/20/2009
> > I have XP SP3, HP AMD Turion 64 mobile ML32, and have recently run full
> > scans with AVGFree, Avira AntiVir, Spybot S&D, and Malwarebytes antimalware,
> > each indicating no threats other than tracking cookies.
> >
> > Any thoughts on why this is happening?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error 0x80246002
Running 2 AVs concurrently is NOT recommended, does NOT enhance the
security of the system, and WILL cause *weird* issues.
Hence, why I asked if they are both monitoring the system.

The best source for troubleshooting .NET installation failures is here:

Updated: what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps
do not help
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...7/8108332.aspx

It just so happens that the author's name is ... Aaron.

Follow Aaron's steps, Aaron.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten