Windows Update will not work

AOR Fan

Windows Update will not work
My genuine copy of Windows XP has not updated since 23rd December 2008. Every
time I search for updates, it says that there are no updates for me at this
time. I know there are updates but my PC wil not find them. Thinking that I
may have a virus, I run scans on Ad Aware AE, Spybot Search & Destroy,
Malwarebytes, A2, Norton Anti Virus, Two online scans and one from the
Windows web site. None of these picked up any infection but my machine still
will not update.

Can anyone please help as I know I must have something wrong butI'm damned
if I can find it!! Any help gratefully appreciated and thank you in advance.
no updates for me today

RE: Windows Update will not work
I am having the same problem. Mine will say I have updates, but that I must
be an admin to install, my login is admin. I've tried all the
malware/spyware and nothing is detecting a virus at this time.

"AOR Fan" wrote:

> My genuine copy of Windows XP has not updated since 23rd December 2008. Every
> time I search for updates, it says that there are no updates for me at this
> time. I know there are updates but my PC wil not find them. Thinking that I
> may have a virus, I run scans on Ad Aware AE, Spybot Search & Destroy,
> Malwarebytes, A2, Norton Anti Virus, Two online scans and one from the
> Windows web site. None of these picked up any infection but my machine still
> will not update.
>
> Can anyone please help as I know I must have something wrong butI'm damned
> if I can find it!! Any help gratefully appreciated and thank you in advance.

Shenan Stanley

AOR Fan wrote:
> My genuine copy of Windows XP has not updated since 23rd December
> 2008. Every time I search for updates, it says that there are no
> updates for me at this time. I know there are updates but my PC wil
> not find them. Thinking that I may have a virus, I run scans on Ad
> Aware AE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, A2, Norton Anti
> Virus, Two online scans and one from the Windows web site. None of
> these picked up any infection but my machine still will not update.
>
> Can anyone please help as I know I must have something wrong butI'm
> damned if I can find it!! Any help gratefully appreciated and thank
> you in advance.

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

What does the picture say at the top?
Quote the entire line below that starting with the word "Version" in
response to this.

Theory - you need to uninstall some beta product you installed, reboot and
get updates ASAP!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

no updates for me today wrote:
> I am having the same problem. Mine will say I have updates, but
> that I must be an admin to install, my login is admin. I've tried
> all the malware/spyware and nothing is detecting a virus at this
> time.

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

What does the picture say at the top?
Quote the entire line below that starting with the word "Version" in
response to this.

Theory - you need to uninstall some beta product you installed, reboot and
get updates ASAP!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

AOR Fan

Re: Windows Update will not work
To Shenan Stanley - I have typed in Winver as request and this is what it
says:-
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-21111 : Service Pack 3).

Please help!!!!

Thank you!!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> AOR Fan wrote:
> > My genuine copy of Windows XP has not updated since 23rd December
> > 2008. Every time I search for updates, it says that there are no
> > updates for me at this time. I know there are updates but my PC wil
> > not find them. Thinking that I may have a virus, I run scans on Ad
> > Aware AE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, A2, Norton Anti
> > Virus, Two online scans and one from the Windows web site. None of
> > these picked up any infection but my machine still will not update.
> >
> > Can anyone please help as I know I must have something wrong butI'm
> > damned if I can find it!! Any help gratefully appreciated and thank
> > you in advance.

> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> What does the picture say at the top?
> Quote the entire line below that starting with the word "Version" in
> response to this.
>
> Theory - you need to uninstall some beta product you installed, reboot and
> get updates ASAP!
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows Update will not work
You have a beta build of SP3 installed. Uninstall it via Add/Remove
Programs | Reboot twice | Install SP3 Final | Reboot twice | Then install
any critical securityy updates offered by Windows Update/Automatic Updates.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AOR Fan wrote:
> To Shenan Stanley - I have typed in Winver as request and this is what it
> says:-
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-21111 : Service Pack 3).
>
> Please help!!!!
>
> Thank you!!
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> AOR Fan wrote:
>>> My genuine copy of Windows XP has not updated since 23rd December
>>> 2008. Every time I search for updates, it says that there are no
>>> updates for me at this time. I know there are updates but my PC wil
>>> not find them. Thinking that I may have a virus, I run scans on Ad
>>> Aware AE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, A2, Norton Anti
>>> Virus, Two online scans and one from the Windows web site. None of
>>> these picked up any infection but my machine still will not update.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please help as I know I must have something wrong butI'm
>>> damned if I can find it!! Any help gratefully appreciated and thank
>>> you in advance.

>> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>> winver
>> --> Click OK.
>>
>> What does the picture say at the top?
>> Quote the entire line below that starting with the word "Version" in
>> response to this.
>>
>> Theory - you need to uninstall some beta product you installed, reboot
>> and
>> get updates ASAP!
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows Update will not work
[The beta build dates from 13 April 2008? God only knows where you got it.]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You have a beta build of SP3 installed. Uninstall it via Add/Remove
> Programs | Reboot twice | Install SP3 Final | Reboot twice | Then install
> any critical securityy updates offered by Windows Update/Automatic
> Updates.
>
> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>
> AOR Fan wrote:
>> To Shenan Stanley - I have typed in Winver as request and this is what it
>> says:-
>> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-21111 : Service Pack 3).
>>
>> Please help!!!!
>>
>> Thank you!!

>>> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>>> winver
>>> --> Click OK.
>>>
>>> What does the picture say at the top?
>>> Quote the entire line below that starting with the word "Version" in
>>> response to this.
>>>
>>> Theory - you need to uninstall some beta product you installed, reboot
>>> and
>>> get updates ASAP!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

AOR Fan

Re: Windows Update will not work
Hi PA Bear,

Well, I can't thank you enough! I uninstalled Service Pack 3, re-installed
it and now have just downloaded 31 new updates!!!

I actually downloaded Service Pack 3 from the Microsoft web site as normal
so I don't know how that version has got on here!

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANK YOU and let you know that your fix
worked! After 3 months of trying to fix it, you did it in one post and I am
truly grateful my friend.

Thank you!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [The beta build dates from 13 April 2008? God only knows where you got it.]
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > You have a beta build of SP3 installed. Uninstall it via Add/Remove
> > Programs | Reboot twice | Install SP3 Final | Reboot twice | Then install
> > any critical securityy updates offered by Windows Update/Automatic
> > Updates.
> >
> > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
> >
> > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >
> > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
> > Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> > "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >
> > AOR Fan wrote:
> >> To Shenan Stanley - I have typed in Winver as request and this is what it
> >> says:-
> >> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-21111 : Service Pack 3).
> >>
> >> Please help!!!!
> >>
> >> Thank you!!

Re: Windows Update will not work
You're most welcome & thanks very much for your feedback! Shenan did the
heavy lifting, I'm afraid. <w>