Vista - Update not Working

DRK

Vista - Update not Working
My laptop runs on a Vista Business, SP1 platform. Only within the last week
or so, Windows Update and Windows Defender will not work - when I try to load
Windows Update, a blank screen shows up that I have to force quit via Task
Manager to close it. I'm afraid this is Conficker, but I have run multiple
detections/removals and they have turned up nothing. I also can access
security websites, which is apparently something an infected computer could
not do. I've already worked with MS over their chat, and their MS Live
Removal turned up nothing as well. Any one have any suggestions as to how to
get Windows Update running again?

Re: Vista - Update not Working
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

NB: Rename MRT.EXE to, e.g., SCANNER.EXE before running the tool!

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DRK wrote:
> My laptop runs on a Vista Business, SP1 platform. Only within the last
> week
> or so, Windows Update and Windows Defender will not work - when I try to
> load Windows Update, a blank screen shows up that I have to force quit via
> Task Manager to close it. I'm afraid this is Conficker, but I have run
> multiple detections/removals and they have turned up nothing. I also can
> access security websites, which is apparently something an infected
> computer could not do. I've already worked with MS over their chat, and
> their MS Live Removal turned up nothing as well. Any one have any
> suggestions as to how to get Windows Update running again?

Ǝиçεl

RE: Vista - Update not Working
Hello DRK,

Run the System File Checker from an Elevated Command Prompt:
<http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm>
-=-

"DRK" wrote:

> My laptop runs on a Vista Business, SP1 platform. Only within the last week
> or so, Windows Update and Windows Defender will not work - when I try to load
> Windows Update, a blank screen shows up that I have to force quit via Task
> Manager to close it. I'm afraid this is Conficker, but I have run multiple
> detections/removals and they have turned up nothing. I also can access
> security websites, which is apparently something an infected computer could
> not do. I've already worked with MS over their chat, and their MS Live
> Removal turned up nothing as well. Any one have any suggestions as to how to
> get Windows Update running again?

Ron Avanzino

Re: Vista - Update not Working
"???l" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello DRK,
>
> Run the System File Checker from an Elevated Command Prompt:
> <http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm>
> -=-
>
> "DRK" wrote:
>
>> My laptop runs on a Vista Business, SP1 platform. Only within the last
>> week
>> or so, Windows Update and Windows Defender will not work - when I try to
>> load
>> Windows Update, a blank screen shows up that I have to force quit via
>> Task
>> Manager to close it. I'm afraid this is Conficker, but I have run
>> multiple
>> detections/removals and they have turned up nothing. I also can access
>> security websites, which is apparently something an infected computer
>> could
>> not do. I've already worked with MS over their chat, and their MS Live
>> Removal turned up nothing as well. Any one have any suggestions as to how
>> get Windows Update running again?

I am having a similar problem with Vista Home Premium, SP1. Here is the
output after running sfc /scannow:

****BEGINNING OF OUTPUT***
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Windows\system32>
***END OF OUTPUT***

The cbs.log files had 69 lines of "Cannot repair member file
....WindowsUpdateClient". I was never prompted to insert the Vista DVD. (I
don't have one anyway because the computer didn't come with one.)

So, my question is, "What do I do with this information to fix the problem?"

I, too, have done numerous scans for viruses using Norton Protection Center,
Windows OneCare Safety Scanner, and the Microsoft Software Removal Tool.

Re: Vista - Update not Working
To avoid even further confusion, please begin your own thread, Ron. Thanks.

<snip>