WinXP SP3 update failure

kaindi

WinXP SP3 update failure
I have winXP running SP2 and tried to install SP3 which I have downloaded
from windows update site but was denied access after halfway thru the
extraction of the file. Does anyone know how I should avoid this and install
SP3?
TaurArian

Re: WinXP SP3 update failure
kaindi wrote:
:: I have winXP running SP2 and tried to install SP3 which I have
:: downloaded from windows update site but was denied access after
:: halfway thru the extraction of the file. Does anyone know how I
:: should avoid this and install SP3?

First, make sure that your anti virus software isn't locking the registry
and preventing the installer from modifying the same.

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Also see:
How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Error message when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to
install updates: 0x80070005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968003/

FYI
Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3976 (20090330) __________

http://www.eset.com

JX

Re: WinXP SP3 update failure
I am having the same problem. After some investigation, it turned out that I
have some registry keys that can not be accessed, or deleted. Checking its
permission shows nothing. If I try to run the subinacl utility to reset the
permission, it fails too. Is there anything I can try? A couple of examples

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI ( I can not open this key at
all)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009
(The default value for this key can be not accessed)