Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries to up

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2009
Stavros Petridis
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries to up
After i upgraded my SQL Express 2005 SP2 to SQL Express 2008 on my XP Pro SP3
PC,Windows Update tries ,unsuccessfuly to install SQL Express 2005 SP3.
Why is this happening and what can i do to convince Windows Update that i
don't have SQL Express 2005 anymore ?
I am also concerned that maybe in the future windows update will miss any
2008 updates since it "thinks" that i have 2005.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2009
Bookworm123
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries to up
I, too, have this problem. The update won't install - but I can't get rid of
it or go any further. All the help from the Microsoft support site is too
"tecky" for this novice-intermediate user. Any help please.

"Stavros Petridis" wrote:

> After i upgraded my SQL Express 2005 SP2 to SQL Express 2008 on my XP Pro SP3
> PC,Windows Update tries ,unsuccessfuly to install SQL Express 2005 SP3.
> Why is this happening and what can i do to convince Windows Update that i
> don't have SQL Express 2005 anymore ?
> I am also concerned that maybe in the future windows update will miss any
> 2008 updates since it "thinks" that i have 2005.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries to up
(cross-post added to SQL Setup)
"Stavros Petridis" <Stavros Petridis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD966B7E-74D5-49DC-AF5C-AF209EE4AB9E@microsoft.com...
> After i upgraded my SQL Express 2005 SP2 to SQL Express 2008 on my XP Pro SP3
> PC,Windows Update tries ,unsuccessfuly to install SQL Express 2005 SP3.



Details?


> Why is this happening and what can i do to convince Windows Update that i
> don't have SQL Express 2005 anymore ?
> I am also concerned that maybe in the future windows update will miss any
> 2008 updates since it "thinks" that i have 2005.



Have you tried downloading whatever it is and trying a manual install?
You would get more information about any failure that way.
Also, you then would be independent of the update distribution tool
and more likely to get help from people who were already using the
SQL product. Cross-posting to an SQL NG for convenience.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2009
Stavros Petridis
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries t
Yes Robert i have.
I downloaded the SP3 and run it and of course the updater gave me a message
indicating that i don't have an SQL 2005 on my system, recognized the newer
version of the SQL that exists (10.xxx.xxx), and terminated gracefuly.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to SQL Setup)
> "Stavros Petridis" <Stavros Petridis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CD966B7E-74D5-49DC-AF5C-AF209EE4AB9E@microsoft.com...
> > After i upgraded my SQL Express 2005 SP2 to SQL Express 2008 on my XP Pro SP3
> > PC,Windows Update tries ,unsuccessfuly to install SQL Express 2005 SP3.

>
>
> Details?
>
>
> > Why is this happening and what can i do to convince Windows Update that i
> > don't have SQL Express 2005 anymore ?
> > I am also concerned that maybe in the future windows update will miss any
> > 2008 updates since it "thinks" that i have 2005.

>
>
> Have you tried downloading whatever it is and trying a manual install?
> You would get more information about any failure that way.
> Also, you then would be independent of the update distribution tool
> and more likely to get help from people who were already using the
> SQL product. Cross-posting to an SQL NG for convenience.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries t

"Stavros Petridis" <StavrosPetridis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1B9FDC7B-5268-4A22-A13F-182471AC985A@microsoft.com...
> Yes Robert i have.
> I downloaded the SP3 and run it and of course the updater gave me a message
> indicating that i don't have an SQL 2005 on my system, recognized the newer
> version of the SQL that exists (10.xxx.xxx), and terminated gracefuly.



Well, I guess you have two choices then. Either try to diagnose why
you are being offered that update (E.g. activate verbose logging for
AU/MU (ref. KB902093). Doing that might show that you did have
something wrong which could be fixed to avoid the offering.)
or suppress it and hope that: A) the error is on the server side
and B) that it eventually stops being offered.

In fact, I just thought of another thing you could look at fairly easily.
Are those SQL updates MSI based? See what the Windows Installer
Cleanup Utility tells you about SQL Express 2005...

<title>How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually </title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967

(Microsoft Support Search for
msi cleanup SQL 2005
)

<quote>
Download and then install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
</quote>


Good luck

Robert
---


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2009
Stavros Petridis
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries t
Robert,thanks for all your help,i will give it a try

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>
> "Stavros Petridis" <StavrosPetridis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1B9FDC7B-5268-4A22-A13F-182471AC985A@microsoft.com...
> > Yes Robert i have.
> > I downloaded the SP3 and run it and of course the updater gave me a message
> > indicating that i don't have an SQL 2005 on my system, recognized the newer
> > version of the SQL that exists (10.xxx.xxx), and terminated gracefuly.

>
>
> Well, I guess you have two choices then. Either try to diagnose why
> you are being offered that update (E.g. activate verbose logging for
> AU/MU (ref. KB902093). Doing that might show that you did have
> something wrong which could be fixed to avoid the offering.)
> or suppress it and hope that: A) the error is on the server side
> and B) that it eventually stops being offered.
>
> In fact, I just thought of another thing you could look at fairly easily.
> Are those SQL updates MSI based? See what the Windows Installer
> Cleanup Utility tells you about SQL Express 2005...
>
> <title>How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually </title>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967
>
> (Microsoft Support Search for
> msi cleanup SQL 2005
> )
>
> <quote>
> Download and then install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> </quote>
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2009
Stavros Petridis
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries t
It seems that there were some leftovers from SQL Express 2005 like SQL Server
NativeClient ver 9.xxx and SQL Server Setup Support Files ver 9.xxx
MSI Cleanup helped me to identify the version since there were no version
info in Add/Remove Programs and i wasn't sure if i was uninstalling the
correct version.
When all the leftovers were uninstalled throu add/remove programs then the
Windows Update gave the SP3 update a rest.
So problem solved,i would like to thank Robert once again for his help and
time spend.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update thinks that i have SQL Express 2005 and tries t

"Stavros Petridis" <StavrosPetridis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0A1FD1A-F129-460C-ABDD-BC9621CABB3D@microsoft.com...
> It seems that there were some leftovers from SQL Express 2005 like SQL Server
> NativeClient ver 9.xxx and SQL Server Setup Support Files ver 9.xxx
> MSI Cleanup helped me to identify the version since there were no version
> info in Add/Remove Programs and i wasn't sure if i was uninstalling the
> correct version.
> When all the leftovers were uninstalled throu add/remove programs then the
> Windows Update gave the SP3 update a rest.


> So problem solved,i would like to thank Robert once again for his help and
> time spend.



Thanks for the feedback, Stavros. That was a lucky guess.
And it's a good thing that we are still cross-posting to SQL Setup
for that NG's information too. ; )


Robert
---


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Code WindowsUpdate_0000041D for SQL server 2005 express SP3 update Kinson microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 03-24-2009 21:42
SQL Server 2005 express Edition Service Pack 3 & SQL Ser5ver 2005 Dennis TR microsoft.public.windowsupdate 5 02-11-2009 20:18
SQL Server 2005 Express update sp2 BowenIT microsoft.public.windowsupdate 5 02-06-2009 12:56
RE: Won't update: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 User01 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 06-11-2008 22:31
Windows Mail Thinks It's Outlook Express Rick Raisley microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 07-11-2007 01:45




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120