SP2 PROBLEMS

JOEL E.

SP2 PROBLEMS
I GO TO WINDOWS UPDATE AND IT SAYS THE ONLY NEEDED DOWNLOAD IS SERVICE PACK 2
FOR XP HOME I TRY TO DOWNLOAD AND SOME OF THE TIME THE STATUS BAR WILL GO
HALF WAY GREEN THEN STOP AND THEN A BLANK STATUS BAR FOR AT LEAST 20 MIN OR
UNTIL I CANCEL THEN IT SAYS FAILED TO DOWNLOAD SERVICE PACK 2 I HAVEEVEN
TRIED SETTING AUTOMATIC UPDATE AND IT STILL FAILS. PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE MY
PROBLEM THIS IS A FRESH XP INSTALL AND I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD ALL OTHER
NEEDED UPDATES BEFORE THIS ONE.
Kayman

Re: SP2 PROBLEMS
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:55:00 -0700, JOEL E. wrote:

> I GO TO WINDOWS UPDATE AND IT SAYS THE ONLY NEEDED DOWNLOAD IS SERVICE PACK 2
> FOR XP HOME I TRY TO DOWNLOAD AND SOME OF THE TIME THE STATUS BAR WILL GO
> HALF WAY GREEN THEN STOP AND THEN A BLANK STATUS BAR FOR AT LEAST 20 MIN OR
> UNTIL I CANCEL THEN IT SAYS FAILED TO DOWNLOAD SERVICE PACK 2 I HAVEEVEN
> TRIED SETTING AUTOMATIC UPDATE AND IT STILL FAILS. PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE MY
> PROBLEM THIS IS A FRESH XP INSTALL AND I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD ALL OTHER
> NEEDED UPDATES BEFORE THIS ONE.

Start afresh!

Preparation is the key for successful installation.

1.How to Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP
Setup Disk with SP 3
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/sli...e-pack-3.shtml
--or (maybe more user friendly)--
Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
--and--
WinUpdatesList v1.23
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html
--also--
Change the Boot Order in BIOS (good illustration)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...rderchange.htm

2.Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand
--and--
--or even better because its illustrated and more reader friendly--
How Do I Install WindowsXP
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...windows_xp.htm

Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832671

Windows XP Service Pack 1a

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Windows XP Service Pack 3

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Information about Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Service Pack 3 Resource Page
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb794714.aspx

Good luck
Susan Bradley

Re: SP2 PROBLEMS
Personally I'd take the caps lock off your computer and manually
download SP3.

Forget about slipstreaming, just download the SP and manually install it.

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Kayman wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:55:00 -0700, JOEL E. wrote:
>
>> I GO TO WINDOWS UPDATE AND IT SAYS THE ONLY NEEDED DOWNLOAD IS SERVICE PACK 2
>> FOR XP HOME I TRY TO DOWNLOAD AND SOME OF THE TIME THE STATUS BAR WILL GO
>> HALF WAY GREEN THEN STOP AND THEN A BLANK STATUS BAR FOR AT LEAST 20 MIN OR
>> UNTIL I CANCEL THEN IT SAYS FAILED TO DOWNLOAD SERVICE PACK 2 I HAVEEVEN
>> TRIED SETTING AUTOMATIC UPDATE AND IT STILL FAILS. PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE MY
>> PROBLEM THIS IS A FRESH XP INSTALL AND I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD ALL OTHER
>> NEEDED UPDATES BEFORE THIS ONE.

> Start afresh!
>
> Preparation is the key for successful installation.
>
> 1.How to Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Create an Integrated XP
> Setup Disk with SP 3
> http://www.howtohaven.com/system/sli...e-pack-3.shtml
> --or (maybe more user friendly)--
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
> --and--
> WinUpdatesList v1.23
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html
> --also--
> Change the Boot Order in BIOS (good illustration)
> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...rderchange.htm
>
> 2.Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows - What
> you will need on-hand
> --and--
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> --or even better because its illustrated and more reader friendly--
> How Do I Install WindowsXP
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...windows_xp.htm
>
> Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true
>
> Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832671
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 1a
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
>
> Information about Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>
> The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
>
> Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
> you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>
> Service Pack 3 Resource Page
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb794714.aspx
>
> Good luck

JS

Re: SP2 PROBLEMS
Skip Service Pack 2 and install SP#

Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Your PC must be at least SP1 or SP2 level as SP3 will not
install on XP Gold.

Install SP3 in 'Clean Boot' mode:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
See the section titled: Manual steps to perform a clean boot in Windows XP,
skipping step 4.

Why clean boot:
A "Clean Boot" insures that only a minimal set of Windows Services and
applications are running. This means your Anti Virus software, third party
Firewall and other background applications will not be running; thereby
reducing the chances that installing SP3 will fail. Just remember to undo
the "Clean Boot" changes after installing SP3.

Do not use the Windows Update web site, if at all possible download the
service pack installation file directly to your hard drive and install SP3
using this file.

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Discusses the hard disk space requirements for installing
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
"For a PC on which Windows XP is already installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/en-us

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Release notes for the Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929/en-us

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

Recommends steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Also includes troubleshooting information.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"JOEL E." <JOEL E.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I GO TO WINDOWS UPDATE AND IT SAYS THE ONLY NEEDED DOWNLOAD IS SERVICE PACK
>2
> FOR XP HOME I TRY TO DOWNLOAD AND SOME OF THE TIME THE STATUS BAR WILL GO
> HALF WAY GREEN THEN STOP AND THEN A BLANK STATUS BAR FOR AT LEAST 20 MIN
> OR
> UNTIL I CANCEL THEN IT SAYS FAILED TO DOWNLOAD SERVICE PACK 2 I HAVEEVEN
> TRIED SETTING AUTOMATIC UPDATE AND IT STILL FAILS. PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE MY
> PROBLEM THIS IS A FRESH XP INSTALL AND I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD ALL OTHER
> NEEDED UPDATES BEFORE THIS ONE.

Re: SP2 PROBLEMS
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b