Windows Update KB967715

Frank Weber

Windows Update KB967715
I have been receiving constant notifications since 2/25/09 that Windows XP
update KB 967715 is ready for installation. The file size shows as "0 KB".
When I click the INSTALL button, it goes through the apparent usual
installation procedure with a notice that it was successful. I have been
notified about this on 2/25 (twice), 3/4, 3/7, 3/11 (3 times), 3/16, 3/17,
3/21, 3/25 and 3/28, according to my download history. I am running Windows
XP SP3 Media Center Edition.

Re: Windows Update KB967715
See the newsly revised & enahanced FAQ section here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Frank Weber wrote:
> I have been receiving constant notifications since 2/25/09 that Windows XP
> update KB 967715 is ready for installation. The file size shows as "0
> KB".
> When I click the INSTALL button, it goes through the apparent usual
> installation procedure with a notice that it was successful. I have been
> notified about this on 2/25 (twice), 3/4, 3/7, 3/11 (3 times), 3/16, 3/17,
> 3/21, 3/25 and 3/28, according to my download history. I am running
> Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition.

Susan Bradley

Re: Windows Update KB967715
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> See the newsly revised & enahanced FAQ section here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
>
> Frank Weber wrote:
>> I have been receiving constant notifications since 2/25/09 that
>> Windows XP
>> update KB 967715 is ready for installation. The file size shows as "0
>> KB".
>> When I click the INSTALL button, it goes through the apparent usual
>> installation procedure with a notice that it was successful. I have been
>> notified about this on 2/25 (twice), 3/4, 3/7, 3/11 (3 times), 3/16,
>> 3/17,
>> 3/21, 3/25 and 3/28, according to my download history. I am running
>> Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition.

Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times

Update 967715 may be reoffered if the HonorAutorunSetting registry
setting that is described in this article is not added to the registry
hive. This issue may occur if some other program that is installed on
the computer blocks the update from writing the registry entry. Such
software may block the update during the installation of the update or
may remove the registry entry after the computer is restarted.

To resolve this problem, install the update in safe mode. To do this,
follow these steps:
Download the update. To do this, follow these steps:
Visit the Microsoft Download Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads)
In the Search for a download box, type the number of the Knowledge Base
article that describes the update, and then click Go.
Download the update, and then save it to the desktop.
Install the update. To do this, follow these steps:
Double-click the downloaded file to install it.

If you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine
whether the update is offered again. If you are offered the update
again, continue to the next step.
Install the update in safe mode. Safe mode disables most running
processes and services. These services include the Windows Update
service. Installing an update in safe mode is a quick test to determine
whether an application or process is interfering with the installation.
To install the update in safe mode, follow these steps:
Restart the computer.
As the computer starts, press the F8 key.
Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 1 to install the file.
When the installation is complete, restart the computer.
Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine
whether the update is offered. Or, wait until Automatic Updates runs again.
Back to the top
tiredengineer

Re: Windows Update KB967715

--
I wish these computers would work without all of the hassle.

"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > See the newsly revised & enahanced FAQ section here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
> >
> > Frank Weber wrote:
> >> I have been receiving constant notifications since 2/25/09 that
> >> Windows XP
> >> update KB 967715 is ready for installation. The file size shows as "0
> >> KB".
> >> When I click the INSTALL button, it goes through the apparent usual
> >> installation procedure with a notice that it was successful. I have been
> >> notified about this on 2/25 (twice), 3/4, 3/7, 3/11 (3 times), 3/16,
> >> 3/17,
> >> 3/21, 3/25 and 3/28, according to my download history. I am running
> >> Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition.

> Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times
>
> Update 967715 may be reoffered if the HonorAutorunSetting registry
> setting that is described in this article is not added to the registry
> hive. This issue may occur if some other program that is installed on
> the computer blocks the update from writing the registry entry. Such
> software may block the update during the installation of the update or
> may remove the registry entry after the computer is restarted.
>
> To resolve this problem, install the update in safe mode. To do this,
> follow these steps:
> Download the update. To do this, follow these steps:
> Visit the Microsoft Download Web site:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads)
> In the Search for a download box, type the number of the Knowledge Base
> article that describes the update, and then click Go.
> Download the update, and then save it to the desktop.
> Install the update. To do this, follow these steps:
> Double-click the downloaded file to install it.
>
> If you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
> Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine
> whether the update is offered again. If you are offered the update
> again, continue to the next step.
> Install the update in safe mode. Safe mode disables most running
> processes and services. These services include the Windows Update
> service. Installing an update in safe mode is a quick test to determine
> whether an application or process is interfering with the installation.
> To install the update in safe mode, follow these steps:
> Restart the computer.
> As the computer starts, press the F8 key.
> Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
> Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 1 to install the file.
> When the installation is complete, restart the computer.
> Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine
> whether the update is offered. Or, wait until Automatic Updates runs again.
> Back to the top

Jim

Re: Windows Update KB967715
Mine work quite well with almost no hassles.
Jim