Can not install sp 3

Natis Kyriakou

Can not install sp 3
I had to reinstall XP with SP 2, and also I installed IE 8.
Now I can't install SP 3.
Is there a way to do it?
I checked 1000 pages and links, but I found no solution.
Thanks for any help,
Natis.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Can not install sp 3
Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> I had to reinstall XP with SP 2, and also I installed IE 8.
> Now I can't install SP 3.
> Is there a way to do it?
> I checked 1000 pages and links, but I found no solution.

Fast reader? ;-P

In any case - you did not provide the actual details of the problem.

- In what way(s) have you attempted to install Windows XP SP3?
CD? Stand-alone executable? Windows Update web page?

- What happens when you attempt to install Windows XP SP3 (in the various
manners)?
Error messages? Event Log entries? WindowsUpdate.log entries?

- What solution(s) have you tried in reference to installing Windows XP SP3?
There really aren't that many known issues installing SP3 - so this
couldn't be too long of a list.

- What 'flavor' of WIndows XP are you running?
Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> Click OK. The top picture
gives you the 'flavor' and the "version' line underneath should be quoted in
your response exactly.

Help those here help you - provide a bit of detail and insight into the
problem you are having.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Can not install sp 3
Uninstall "IE8" then try again.

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Natis Kyriakou wrote:
>> I had to reinstall XP with SP 2, and also I installed IE 8.
>> Now I can't install SP 3.
>> Is there a way to do it?
>> I checked 1000 pages and links, but I found no solution.

> Fast reader? ;-P
>
> In any case - you did not provide the actual details of the problem.
>
> - In what way(s) have you attempted to install Windows XP SP3?
> CD? Stand-alone executable? Windows Update web page?
>
> - What happens when you attempt to install Windows XP SP3 (in the various
> manners)?
> Error messages? Event Log entries? WindowsUpdate.log entries?
>
> - What solution(s) have you tried in reference to installing Windows XP
> SP3?
> There really aren't that many known issues installing SP3 - so this
> couldn't be too long of a list.
>
> - What 'flavor' of WIndows XP are you running?
> Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> Click OK. The top picture
> gives you the 'flavor' and the "version' line underneath should be quoted
> in
> your response exactly.
>
> Help those here help you - provide a bit of detail and insight into the
> problem you are having.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Natis Kyriakou

Re: Can not install sp 3

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> > I had to reinstall XP with SP 2, and also I installed IE 8.
> > Now I can't install SP 3.
> > Is there a way to do it?
> > I checked 1000 pages and links, but I found no solution.

> Fast reader? ;-P
>
> In any case - you did not provide the actual details of the problem.
>
> - In what way(s) have you attempted to install Windows XP SP3?
> CD? Stand-alone executable? Windows Update web page?
>
> - What happens when you attempt to install Windows XP SP3 (in the various
> manners)?
> Error messages? Event Log entries? WindowsUpdate.log entries?
>
> - What solution(s) have you tried in reference to installing Windows XP SP3?
> There really aren't that many known issues installing SP3 - so this
> couldn't be too long of a list.
>
> - What 'flavor' of WIndows XP are you running?
> Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> Click OK. The top picture
> gives you the 'flavor' and the "version' line underneath should be quoted in
> your response exactly.
>
> Help those here help you - provide a bit of detail and insight into the
> problem you are having.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you very much.
I' m running XP Version 5.1 with SP 2.
My problem is that I can't find the SP 3 to download.
When I go to the Download center/ Update home, and check for updates SP3 is
not there.
A have no High priority updates and SP3 is not in my custom updates.
Every link I tried sent me to the download center but where is the SP3?
Thanks again,
Natis.

Natis Kyriakou

Re: Can not install sp 3

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall "IE8" then try again.

If I uninstall IE8 how can I go back to the download center?
I have only one browser.
And if there is a conflict between IE8 and SP3 how on earth Microsoft
released IE8 ?

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> >> I had to reinstall XP with SP 2, and also I installed IE 8.
> >> Now I can't install SP 3.
> >> Is there a way to do it?
> >> I checked 1000 pages and links, but I found no solution.

> > Fast reader? ;-P
> >
> > In any case - you did not provide the actual details of the problem.
> >
> > - In what way(s) have you attempted to install Windows XP SP3?
> > CD? Stand-alone executable? Windows Update web page?
> >
> > - What happens when you attempt to install Windows XP SP3 (in the various
> > manners)?
> > Error messages? Event Log entries? WindowsUpdate.log entries?
> >
> > - What solution(s) have you tried in reference to installing Windows XP
> > SP3?
> > There really aren't that many known issues installing SP3 - so this
> > couldn't be too long of a list.
> >
> > - What 'flavor' of WIndows XP are you running?
> > Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> Click OK. The top picture
> > gives you the 'flavor' and the "version' line underneath should be quoted
> > in
> > your response exactly.
> >
> > Help those here help you - provide a bit of detail and insight into the
> > problem you are having.
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Re: Can not install sp 3

Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> I' m running XP Version 5.1 with SP 2.
> My problem is that I can't find the SP 3 to download.
> When I go to the Download center/ Update home, and check for
> updates SP3 is not there.
> A have no High priority updates and SP3 is not in my custom updates.
> Every link I tried sent me to the download center but where is the
> SP3?

Please answer the questions given the methods to do so... ;-)

- Windows XP what? (The specific instructions were given so you would give
accurate information. ;-) Home? Professional? Media Center Edition?
TabletPC? x64? etc... And the full VERSION line requested?)

If you do not have Windows XP Professional x64 - then you can easily get
Windows XP SP3 downloaded - but you will want to make sure your machine is
ready (if you are not being offered it from the Windows Updates web page -
you may not be 'ready'.)

By the way - if you uninstall Internet Explorer 8.0 as suggested elsewhere
in this conversation, you will still have Internet Explorer 6.0 (it will
revert back to what it was before you installed Internet Explorer 8.0.)

The link for the full download/CD download can be found in the "LONG"
section below.

With proper preparation - you are unlikely to have problems - and if you
have been performing proper maintenance all along - even if you do - you are
only out a short period of time (restoring from the backup/drive image you
made wisely before diving in...)

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Suggestions:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file and/or burn the ISO download to
CD.
2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
3) CHKDSK
4) Defragment
5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.)
6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.

Some (if not all) of that is covered in the above links.

LONG:

Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should
install if...

- You are currently running Windows XP (32bit).
- You care about keeping your machine current and running its best.
- You wish to continue running Windows XP for some indeterminate time into
the future.
- You want to free support if you have any trouble installing it (SP3 that
is.)

Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the
release of SP3. You may think to yourself that you have been keeping your
PC updated - so you probably have all those updates - fact is, you'd be
incorrect. You may have all the publically released ones, but SP3 contains
1179 previously released updates - guaranteed you do not have them all
installed without it. ;-)

Most of the issues people have had with SP3 have to do with their particular
configuration or a problem caused by a third party change/mis-configuration
on their system - and almost all have a relatively simple fix.

Before starting, know where you can get help:

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
until April 2009...

Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
get SP3?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)

Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:
Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
Check these out:

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

Workarounds:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
2.http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
4.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a
non-Intel-processor-based computer (Revised 06 May-08):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
planning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> 1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
> 2.http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
> 3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
> 4.
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
> 5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a
> non-Intel-processor-based computer (Revised 06 May-08):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
>
> Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
> SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
> latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...
>
> Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little

Thanks again.
My version is 5.1 (Build 2600.XPSP_sp2_gdr.080814-1233:Service Pack 2)
Windows XP Media Center Edition.
Any suggestions for the .... best way to do it?
As I said, I had SP3 installed, but after I reinstalled the OS I run in to
this predicament.

Re: Can not install sp 3
1a. SP3 isn't being offered because you have a beta version of IE8
installed. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307.

1b. Uninstalling IE8 beta automatically restores the previous IE version
(i.e., IE7 or IE6):

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

2. After uninstalling IE8 beta, the machine will be ready for & offered SP3:

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall "IE8" then try again.

> If I uninstall IE8 how can I go back to the download center?
> I have only one browser.
> And if there is a conflict between IE8 and SP3 how on earth Microsoft
> released IE8 ?
>

>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> Fast reader? ;-P
>>>
>>> In any case - you did not provide the actual details of the problem.
>>>
>>> - In what way(s) have you attempted to install Windows XP SP3?
>>> CD? Stand-alone executable? Windows Update web page?
>>>
>>> - What happens when you attempt to install Windows XP SP3 (in the
>>> various
>>> manners)?
>>> Error messages? Event Log entries? WindowsUpdate.log entries?
>>>
>>> - What solution(s) have you tried in reference to installing Windows XP
>>> SP3?
>>> There really aren't that many known issues installing SP3 - so this
>>> couldn't be too long of a list.
>>>
>>> - What 'flavor' of WIndows XP are you running?
>>> Start button --> RUN --> type in: winver --> Click OK. The top
>>> picture
>>> gives you the 'flavor' and the "version' line underneath should be
>>> quoted
>>> in
>>> your response exactly.
>>>
>>> Help those here help you - provide a bit of detail and insight into the
>>> problem you are having.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP

Natis Kyriakou

Re: Can not install sp 3
Thank you. I will unistall IE8. I din't know that was beta. I received an
e-mail to
download it. But I think MS should let everybody know that there is a
conflict between IE8 and SP3. I still can't believe that instead of fixing
it, the give you ways to go around it. What a joke!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1a. SP3 isn't being offered because you have a beta version of IE8
> installed. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307.
>
> 1b. Uninstalling IE8 beta automatically restores the previous IE version
> (i.e., IE7 or IE6):
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> 2. After uninstalling IE8 beta, the machine will be ready for & offered SP3:
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Natis Kyriakou wrote:
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Uninstall "IE8" then try again.

> > If I uninstall IE8 how can I go back to the download center?
> > I have only one browser.
> > And if there is a conflict between IE8 and SP3 how on earth Microsoft
> > released IE8 ?

Re: Can not install sp 3
Did you read KB955307?

There's no conflict between any version of IE8 (i.e., beta or final) and SP3
*if* SP3 had been installed before IE8.

PS: I'd very much doubt you received an email "telling you to download IE8,"
though you be subscribed to an MS newsletter that told you IE8 beta was
available for downloading (testing).

If you installed IE8 prior to 19 Mar-09, it was a beta build.