KB967912 update for Vista

gizzer1

KB967912 update for Vista
Have tried repeated attempts to install KB967912 for Vista & failed. OS is
Vista Home Premium with SP1. Keep getting error code 646. Don't have
Windows Live Care or Messenger, just Hotmail. Running Norton 360 2009.
What does this update do? Need help.

Alt question: Do I need this update? If not, how can I delete constant
reminder to update.
--
gizzer1

Re: KB967912 update for Vista
You would not be offered an update for Windows Live Sign-in Assistant if it
wasn't installed.

If Windows Live Toolbar, Mail (not Hotmail), Writer, Messenger, Photo
Gallery, Family Safety, and/or Movie Maker is or ever has been installed,
Sign-in Assistant was and still is installed. (It does not uninstall when
you uninstall the applications I just listed.)

You have three choices:

1. Upgrade to the latest version (i.e., 14.x) of any installed Windows Live
applications. The upgrade will include the Sign-in Assistant "update".

2. Hide the update.

3. Download/run Windows Live Beta Remover:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gizzer1 wrote:
> Have tried repeated attempts to install KB967912 for Vista & failed. OS
> is
> Vista Home Premium with SP1. Keep getting error code 646. Don't have
> Windows Live Care or Messenger, just Hotmail. Running Norton 360 2009.
> What does this update do? Need help.
>
> Alt question: Do I need this update? If not, how can I delete constant
> reminder to update.

gizzer1

Re: KB967912 update for Vista
thanks for info. Regarding suggestions 1 & 2: Where can I find website to
update any of Live toolbar options, e.g. Mail?
Secondly, how do hide the update?

thanks,
--
gizzer1

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You would not be offered an update for Windows Live Sign-in Assistant if it
> wasn't installed.
>
> If Windows Live Toolbar, Mail (not Hotmail), Writer, Messenger, Photo
> Gallery, Family Safety, and/or Movie Maker is or ever has been installed,
> Sign-in Assistant was and still is installed. (It does not uninstall when
> you uninstall the applications I just listed.)
>
> You have three choices:
>
> 1. Upgrade to the latest version (i.e., 14.x) of any installed Windows Live
> applications. The upgrade will include the Sign-in Assistant "update".
>
> 2. Hide the update.
>
> 3. Download/run Windows Live Beta Remover:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> gizzer1 wrote:
> > Have tried repeated attempts to install KB967912 for Vista & failed. OS
> > is
> > Vista Home Premium with SP1. Keep getting error code 646. Don't have
> > Windows Live Care or Messenger, just Hotmail. Running Norton 360 2009.
> > What does this update do? Need help.
> >
> > Alt question: Do I need this update? If not, how can I delete constant
> > reminder to update.

Re: KB967912 update for Vista
A1. http://download.live.com [NB: Uncheck the applications you do not want
to install!]

A2. How to hide updates in Vista: Click View available updates | Right-click
on the update you wish to hide | Click Hide Update | Confirm the UAC (User
Account Control) prompt if appropriate.

To restore/unhide updates in Vista: Start | Control Panel | System And
Maintenance (If you are using Classic View, skip this step) | Windows Update
| Restore Hidden Updates | Find and select the update you wish to install |
Restore. You can now reselect it and install through the normal process.
--
~PA Bear

gizzer1 wrote:
> thanks for info. Regarding suggestions 1 & 2: Where can I find website to
> update any of Live toolbar options, e.g. Mail?
> Secondly, how do hide the update?
>
> thanks,
>
>> You would not be offered an update for Windows Live Sign-in Assistant if
>> it
>> wasn't installed.
>>
>> If Windows Live Toolbar, Mail (not Hotmail), Writer, Messenger, Photo
>> Gallery, Family Safety, and/or Movie Maker is or ever has been installed,
>> Sign-in Assistant was and still is installed. (It does not uninstall
>> when
>> you uninstall the applications I just listed.)
>>
>> You have three choices:
>>
>> 1. Upgrade to the latest version (i.e., 14.x) of any installed Windows
>> Live
>> applications. The upgrade will include the Sign-in Assistant "update".
>>
>> 2. Hide the update.
>>
>> 3. Download/run Windows Live Beta Remover:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> gizzer1 wrote:
>>> Have tried repeated attempts to install KB967912 for Vista & failed. OS
>>> is
>>> Vista Home Premium with SP1. Keep getting error code 646. Don't have
>>> Windows Live Care or Messenger, just Hotmail. Running Norton 360 2009.
>>> What does this update do? Need help.
>>>
>>> Alt question: Do I need this update? If not, how can I delete constant
>>> reminder to update.

gizzer1

Re: KB967912 update for Vista
thanks for tips.
did do option A1; updated Live Mail, afterwards update installed w/o problem.
--
gizzer1

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A1. http://download.live.com [NB: Uncheck the applications you do not want
> to install!]
>
> A2. How to hide updates in Vista: Click View available updates | Right-click
> on the update you wish to hide | Click Hide Update | Confirm the UAC (User
> Account Control) prompt if appropriate.
>
> To restore/unhide updates in Vista: Start | Control Panel | System And
> Maintenance (If you are using Classic View, skip this step) | Windows Update
> | Restore Hidden Updates | Find and select the update you wish to install |
> Restore. You can now reselect it and install through the normal process.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> gizzer1 wrote:
> > thanks for info. Regarding suggestions 1 & 2: Where can I find website to
> > update any of Live toolbar options, e.g. Mail?
> > Secondly, how do hide the update?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> >> You would not be offered an update for Windows Live Sign-in Assistant if
> >> it
> >> wasn't installed.
> >>
> >> If Windows Live Toolbar, Mail (not Hotmail), Writer, Messenger, Photo
> >> Gallery, Family Safety, and/or Movie Maker is or ever has been installed,
> >> Sign-in Assistant was and still is installed. (It does not uninstall
> >> when
> >> you uninstall the applications I just listed.)
> >>
> >> You have three choices:
> >>
> >> 1. Upgrade to the latest version (i.e., 14.x) of any installed Windows
> >> Live
> >> applications. The upgrade will include the Sign-in Assistant "update".
> >>
> >> 2. Hide the update.
> >>
> >> 3. Download/run Windows Live Beta Remover:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: KB967912 update for Vista
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.