Internet Stopped Working with Windows Update KB951748

George E Olverson

Internet Stopped Working with Windows Update KB951748
I have company laptop running XP w/ SP2. In the office I must use proxy to
access internet but from home I normally disable my proxy to reach the
internet (since some sites are blocked) but I must use VPN to reach sites on
company intranet. The other day I got an automatic Windows update (one update
consisted of KB951748) and when I got home that evening I noticed I could not
reach the internet unless I connect through my VPN and enable my proxy. I
normally connect wireless but I also could not connect using my wired network
connection. After checking the configuration on my nic and browser (Firefox
and IE7) settings I decided to investigate the updates that were done a few
days earlier. I noticed that the KB951748 update had an issue with Zone
Alarm. I don't use Zone Alarm but reading details how this update was
security update for DNS in XP I felt it may have affected me negatively also.
I uninstalled the KB951748 update and rebooted my laptop. Just like that I
now have internet again without having to use my VPN and proxy.

Re: Internet Stopped Working with Windows Update KB951748
Your computer AND YOUR COMPANY NETWORK is again subject to the
vulnerabilities addressed by KB951478 (MS08-037) and you're bragging about
it?

KB951478 was released in July 2008: Why is it that KB951478 wasn't installed
8+ months ago?!

See the "How to obtain help..." section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

George E Olverson wrote:
> I have company laptop running XP w/ SP2. In the office I must use proxy to
> access internet but from home I normally disable my proxy to reach the
> internet (since some sites are blocked) but I must use VPN to reach sites
> on
> company intranet. The other day I got an automatic Windows update (one
> update consisted of KB951748) and when I got home that evening I noticed I
> could not reach the internet unless I connect through my VPN and enable my
> proxy. I normally connect wireless but I also could not connect using my
> wired network connection. After checking the configuration on my nic and
> browser (Firefox and IE7) settings I decided to investigate the updates
> that were done a few days earlier. I noticed that the KB951748 update had
> an issue with Zone Alarm. I don't use Zone Alarm but reading details how
> this update was security update for DNS in XP I felt it may have affected
> me negatively also. I uninstalled the KB951748 update and rebooted my
> laptop. Just like that I now have internet again without having to use my
> VPN and proxy.

George E Olverson

Re: Internet Stopped Working with Windows Update KB951748
My company as well as most companies do not automatically apply MS updates as
they are released. The IT department (in their infinite wisdom) usually
evaluates them for their impact and importance before allowing them to be
push over the network. So I don't know why it took them 8+ months. I went to
them with my problem after I got the update. They did not have an answer to
my problem. I post this comment not to brag but to inform others with similar
issue to mine; and to inform MS that an update should not fix one issue then
create another.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your computer AND YOUR COMPANY NETWORK is again subject to the
> vulnerabilities addressed by KB951478 (MS08-037) and you're bragging about
> it?
>
> KB951478 was released in July 2008: Why is it that KB951478 wasn't installed
> 8+ months ago?!
>
> See the "How to obtain help..." section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748
>
> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> George E Olverson wrote:
> > I have company laptop running XP w/ SP2. In the office I must use proxy to
> > access internet but from home I normally disable my proxy to reach the
> > internet (since some sites are blocked) but I must use VPN to reach sites
> > on
> > company intranet. The other day I got an automatic Windows update (one
> > update consisted of KB951748) and when I got home that evening I noticed I
> > could not reach the internet unless I connect through my VPN and enable my
> > proxy. I normally connect wireless but I also could not connect using my
> > wired network connection. After checking the configuration on my nic and
> > browser (Firefox and IE7) settings I decided to investigate the updates
> > that were done a few days earlier. I noticed that the KB951748 update had
> > an issue with Zone Alarm. I don't use Zone Alarm but reading details how
> > this update was security update for DNS in XP I felt it may have affected
> > me negatively also. I uninstalled the KB951748 update and rebooted my
> > laptop. Just like that I now have internet again without having to use my
> > VPN and proxy.

Re: Internet Stopped Working with Windows Update KB951748
Repost:
>> See the "How to obtain help..." section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

PS: Maybe your IT Department should do the same.