Error Number: 0x8024D002

Wolfman2

Error Number: 0x8024D002
Kept trying to run Windows Update and I kept getting error message, Error
number: 0x8024D002. It stops there and will not perform any update. How do
I get this fixed?

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
posting to this newsgroup.

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?

0x8024D002 - WU_E_SETUP_INVALID_IDENTDATA
Windows Update Agent could not be updated because the wuident.cab file
contains invalid information
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Wolfman2 wrote:
> Kept trying to run Windows Update and I kept getting error message, Error
> number: 0x8024D002. It stops there and will not perform any update. How
> do
> I get this fixed?

TheIceberg

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
Sorry....Im using XP SP3, Im not sure if it is sudden, but I've just updated
to IE8 and after tring to access 'Microsoft Update' I got the error. I've
tried re-registering some files to solve this, but now I get "[Error number:
0x8024D007]". I went through the 'knowlege Base' and found more info. I've
downloaded a new windows update package, so fingers crossed...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?
>
> 0x8024D002 - WU_E_SETUP_INVALID_IDENTDATA
> Windows Update Agent could not be updated because the wuident.cab file
> contains invalid information
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Wolfman2 wrote:
> > Kept trying to run Windows Update and I kept getting error message, Error
> > number: 0x8024D002. It stops there and will not perform any update. How
> > do
> > I get this fixed?

TheIceberg

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
UPDATE
The package I downloaded was "windowsupdateagent30-x86", unfortunately upon
running this it gave me the error 0x8024d007 ...

"TheIceberg" wrote:

> Sorry....Im using XP SP3, Im not sure if it is sudden, but I've just updated
> to IE8 and after tring to access 'Microsoft Update' I got the error. I've
> tried re-registering some files to solve this, but now I get "[Error number:
> 0x8024D007]". I went through the 'knowlege Base' and found more info. I've
> downloaded a new windows update package, so fingers crossed...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> > posting to this newsgroup.
> >
> > Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?
> >
> > 0x8024D002 - WU_E_SETUP_INVALID_IDENTDATA
> > Windows Update Agent could not be updated because the wuident.cab file
> > contains invalid information
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > Wolfman2 wrote:
> > > Kept trying to run Windows Update and I kept getting error message, Error
> > > number: 0x8024D002. It stops there and will not perform any update. How
> > > do
> > > I get this fixed?

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
Are you and Wolfman2 the same poster? What else haven't you told me so far,
besides having just installed IE8? Did you just have occasion to reinstall
WinXP, be it a Repair Install or a clean install? If so, why?

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Have you ever been able to access Windows Update website (i.e., before you
installed IE8)?

IE Help | about: What version is displayed here? Had you ever had another
version of IE8 installed (e.g., a beta build)?

If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, what happens
when you go to Windows Update?

If you uninstall IE8 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice, what happens
when you go to Windows Update?

Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
sites to install updates: "0x8024D007":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701

TheIceberg wrote:
> UPDATE
> The package I downloaded was "windowsupdateagent30-x86", unfortunately
> upon
> running this it gave me the error 0x8024d007 ...
>
>> Sorry....Im using XP SP3, Im not sure if it is sudden, but I've just
>> updated to IE8 and after tring to access 'Microsoft Update' I got the
>> error. I've tried re-registering some files to solve this, but now I get
>> "[Error number: 0x8024D007]". I went through the 'knowlege Base' and
>> found
>> more info. I've downloaded a new windows update package, so fingers
>> crossed...
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?
>>>
>>> 0x8024D002 - WU_E_SETUP_INVALID_IDENTDATA
>>> Windows Update Agent could not be updated because the wuident.cab file
>>> contains invalid information
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TheIceberg

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
Im not the same poster as Wolfman2.
I've not re-installed XP recently. I do have a dual boot system (Vista +
XP). I cannot enable 'Automatic updates', the options in that box are ALL
greyed out. Unfortunately I cannot remember the last time I visited the
update site, I usually have 'Automatic Upadtes' set to download updates, but
let me choose when to install.
I now have rolled back to IE7 to see if the problem resolved, but it still
abounds. The IE8 that I had, was the first version I had reied and as far as
I know it was not the beta version.
I've been to the kb link previously and tried again to re-register the
files, but I still still get the same (0x8024D007).
I downloaded the Windows update agent and running that gives me the same
error. I cannot stop the automatic update service, the option is greyed out.
I tried to start it and got "Could not start the Automatic Update service on
Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." The
B.I.T.S. service has the same error upon trying to start it.
The last update that I can see I have installed on my pc is KB938759 dated
8/3/09.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you and Wolfman2 the same poster? What else haven't you told me so far,
> besides having just installed IE8? Did you just have occasion to reinstall
> WinXP, be it a Repair Install or a clean install? If so, why?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> Have you ever been able to access Windows Update website (i.e., before you
> installed IE8)?
>
> IE Help | about: What version is displayed here? Had you ever had another
> version of IE8 installed (e.g., a beta build)?
>
> If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, what happens
> when you go to Windows Update?
>
> If you uninstall IE8 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice, what happens
> when you go to Windows Update?
>
> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
> sites to install updates: "0x8024D007":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> TheIceberg wrote:
> > UPDATE
> > The package I downloaded was "windowsupdateagent30-x86", unfortunately
> > upon
> > running this it gave me the error 0x8024d007 ...
> >
> >> Sorry....Im using XP SP3, Im not sure if it is sudden, but I've just
> >> updated to IE8 and after tring to access 'Microsoft Update' I got the
> >> error. I've tried re-registering some files to solve this, but now I get
> >> "[Error number: 0x8024D007]". I went through the 'knowlege Base' and
> >> found
> >> more info. I've downloaded a new windows update package, so fingers
> >> crossed...

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
It would have been preferable and less confusing for you to have started
your own new thread instead of hijacking Wolfman2's.

There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

TheIceberg wrote:
> Im not the same poster as Wolfman2.
> I've not re-installed XP recently. I do have a dual boot system (Vista +
> XP). I cannot enable 'Automatic updates', the options in that box are ALL
> greyed out. Unfortunately I cannot remember the last time I visited the
> update site, I usually have 'Automatic Upadtes' set to download updates,
> but
> let me choose when to install.
> I now have rolled back to IE7 to see if the problem resolved, but it still
> abounds. The IE8 that I had, was the first version I had reied and as far
> as
> I know it was not the beta version.
> I've been to the kb link previously and tried again to re-register the
> files, but I still still get the same (0x8024D007).
> I downloaded the Windows update agent and running that gives me the same
> error. I cannot stop the automatic update service, the option is greyed
> out.
> I tried to start it and got "Could not start the Automatic Update service
> on
> Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." The
> B.I.T.S. service has the same error upon trying to start it.
> The last update that I can see I have installed on my pc is KB938759 dated
> 8/3/09.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you and Wolfman2 the same poster? What else haven't you told me so
>> far, besides having just installed IE8? Did you just have occasion to
>> reinstall WinXP, be it a Repair Install or a clean install? If so, why?
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> Have you ever been able to access Windows Update website (i.e., before
>> you
>> installed IE8)?
>>
>> IE Help | about: What version is displayed here? Had you ever had
>> another
>> version of IE8 installed (e.g., a beta build)?
>>
>> If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, what happens
>> when you go to Windows Update?
>>
>> If you uninstall IE8 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot twice, what
>> happens
>> when you go to Windows Update?
>>
>> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update
>> Web sites to install updates: "0x8024D007":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> TheIceberg wrote:
>>> UPDATE
>>> The package I downloaded was "windowsupdateagent30-x86", unfortunately
>>> upon
>>> running this it gave me the error 0x8024d007 ...

Wolfman2

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002
The OS is Windows XP. I just had the computer rebuilt to XP from 2000 Pro
(re-formatted the HDD) couple months ago. This problem started to come up
about two weeks ago and been trying to get this fixed but couldn't.

Any idea how to fix or correct wuident.cab?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?
>
> 0x8024D002 - WU_E_SETUP_INVALID_IDENTDATA
> Windows Update Agent could not be updated because the wuident.cab file
> contains invalid information
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Wolfman2 wrote:
> > Kept trying to run Windows Update and I kept getting error message, Error
> > number: 0x8024D002. It stops there and will not perform any update. How
> > do
> > I get this fixed?

Re: Error Number: 0x8024D002