I had to do a variation of this, but using LISTool is the ticket.
I first had to download and install the LISTool tool - here's the link from
Onzarob's post above.
Run the tool.
I selected "Delete and disable LIS". LISTool Finished successfully.
Run the tool again.
I selected Enable LIS.
I clicked Browse to go to the install CD in the DVD drive.
Select the CD Drive root (E:\ in my system) after Windows has finished
reading the CD's directory.
I had some trouble here. Several times after clicking OK, LISTool crashed
with error 0x8007000f. I searched but did not find out what that means...
After trying several times, I found that after scrolling the browse tree to
populate all the .cab files in the list, it proceeded to copy the files
without the error. It seems I had to force the OS to read the full file
structure of the disk manually. YMMV.
As noted by Onzarob above, the MSOCache directory used for storing the MS
Office install files was created on the drive with the most free space, not
the drive where Office is installed. That is not a good assumption, if you
ask me. I want it on the C drive, where all things OS and Application
related belong, unless you're a masochist. Not that there's anything wrong
with being a masochist.
So if there is more than one logical drive in your system, first make sure
you have hidden files set to visible, then search all drives for the
MSOCache folder. If it is not on the drive where you believe it belongs...
Run the tool again.
Select Move the LIS to a different drive.
Finish the wizard and you'll see the folder has moved.
From this point on my problem is solved, and not likely to happen again.
Prior to this, I had a lot of MS Office updates which all failed with 0x
I suspect MSOCache was missing, since I don't think it existed before I did
the fix, and I'm pretty sure I selected the option to copy install files to
disk during install. I might have even nuked MSOCache myself some time long
ago, since nothing but user's data files belongs on the drive it chose by
After the fix, I have successfully installed quite a few updates that failed
so many times, I had them hidden in MS Update to avoid the constant
reminders. I'm going to finish installing the rest now.
Good luck and hope this helps. I've tried many times to find a solution to
this, and none of the other solutions posted anywhere else made any
difference. Thanks to lancea and Onzarob for pointing me in the right