Error Code 800736B3

FHartmann

Error Code 800736B3
Windosw Vista 32 SP1

I can neither install Update (KB937286) nor
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET
Productfamily (KB951847) x86.

and, by the way, I also cannot install Service Pack1 for Visual C++ ...

What is wrong?

Re: Error Code 800736B3
0x800736B3 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND
The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

SP1 can not find an assembly in WinSxS that is required for the update(s) to
install. Try running sfc /scannow to see if that resolves the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
[Source: MowGreen, 09 Oct-08 in this newsgroup]

Did SP1 come preinstalled on the machine when you purchased it, did you
install it via Windows Update, or did you choose to install it manually?
Any chance you manually installed a beta build of SP1?

Or did you upgrade (directly) to Vista SP1?

Or have you had occasion to reinstall Vista?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

FHartmann wrote:
> Windosw Vista 32 SP1
>
> I can neither install Update (KB937286) nor
> Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET
> Productfamily (KB951847) x86.
>
> and, by the way, I also cannot install Service Pack1 for Visual C++ ...
>
> What is wrong?

FHartmann

Re: Error Code 800736B3
WinSxS seems not to be the problem. Running sfc /scannow found no error.
Sophos (anti virus) and Spybot were both turned off - no improvement. It is
a Dell Computer with Vista preinstalled, SP1 was installed later as an update
from the web.

I also cannot install Internet Explorer RC1. It seems the computer no longer
knows how to perform an update.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x800736B3 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND
> The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
>
> SP1 can not find an assembly in WinSxS that is required for the update(s) to
> install. Try running sfc /scannow to see if that resolves the issue:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
> [Source: MowGreen, 09 Oct-08 in this newsgroup]
>
> Did SP1 come preinstalled on the machine when you purchased it, did you
> install it via Windows Update, or did you choose to install it manually?
> Any chance you manually installed a beta build of SP1?
>
> Or did you upgrade (directly) to Vista SP1?
>
> Or have you had occasion to reinstall Vista?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> FHartmann wrote:
> > Windosw Vista 32 SP1
> >
> > I can neither install Update (KB937286) nor
> > Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET
> > Productfamily (KB951847) x86.
> >
> > and, by the way, I also cannot install Service Pack1 for Visual C++ ...
> >
> > What is wrong?

Re: Error Code 800736B3
I'm just telling you what the error number means and it means
ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND, despite the results of running SFC.

Is your Sophos AV subscription current? What third-party firewall is
installed (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the
background and/or was Spybot Tea Timer and/or SDHelper enabled when you
installed SP1?

Start | Run | (type) winver | OK

Please post the contents of the entire second line of the About window.
Please be careful not to make any typos.

PS: You do NOT want to install IE8 RC1 with the machine in its current
state!!

FHartmann wrote:
> WinSxS seems not to be the problem. Running sfc /scannow found no error.
> Sophos (anti virus) and Spybot were both turned off - no improvement. It
> is
> a Dell Computer with Vista preinstalled, SP1 was installed later as an
> update from the web.
>
> I also cannot install Internet Explorer RC1. It seems the computer no
> longer
> knows how to perform an update.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 0x800736B3 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND
>> The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
>>
>> SP1 can not find an assembly in WinSxS that is required for the update(s)
>> to install. Try running sfc /scannow to see if that resolves the issue:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
>> [Source: MowGreen, 09 Oct-08 in this newsgroup]
>>
>> Did SP1 come preinstalled on the machine when you purchased it, did you
>> install it via Windows Update, or did you choose to install it manually?
>> Any chance you manually installed a beta build of SP1?
>>
>> Or did you upgrade (directly) to Vista SP1?
>>
>> Or have you had occasion to reinstall Vista?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> FHartmann wrote:
>>> Windosw Vista 32 SP1
>>>
>>> I can neither install Update (KB937286) nor
>>> Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET
>>> Productfamily (KB951847) x86.
>>>
>>> and, by the way, I also cannot install Service Pack1 for Visual C++ ...
>>>
>>> What is wrong?

FHartmann

Re: Error Code 800736B3
Winver says:

Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) // 2nd line

I uninstalled SpyBot and I disabled SOPHOS while trying to install the
updates.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I'm just telling you what the error number means and it means
> ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND, despite the results of running SFC.
>
> Is your Sophos AV subscription current? What third-party firewall is
> installed (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the
> background and/or was Spybot Tea Timer and/or SDHelper enabled when you
> installed SP1?

> Start | Run | (type) winver | OK
>
> Please post the contents of the entire second line of the About window.
> Please be careful not to make any typos.
>
> PS: You do NOT want to install IE8 RC1 with the machine in its current
> state!!
>
> FHartmann wrote:
> > WinSxS seems not to be the problem. Running sfc /scannow found no error.
> > Sophos (anti virus) and Spybot were both turned off - no improvement. It
> > is
> > a Dell Computer with Vista preinstalled, SP1 was installed later as an
> > update from the web.
> >
> > I also cannot install Internet Explorer RC1. It seems the computer no
> > longer
> > knows how to perform an update.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> 0x800736B3 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND
> >> The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
> >>
> >> SP1 can not find an assembly in WinSxS that is required for the update(s)
> >> to install. Try running sfc /scannow to see if that resolves the issue:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
> >> [Source: MowGreen, 09 Oct-08 in this newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Did SP1 come preinstalled on the machine when you purchased it, did you
> >> install it via Windows Update, or did you choose to install it manually?
> >> Any chance you manually installed a beta build of SP1?
> >>
> >> Or did you upgrade (directly) to Vista SP1?
> >>
> >> Or have you had occasion to reinstall Vista?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

FHartmann

Re: Error Code 800736B3
The following is an excerpt from the error log of the failed attempt to
install Visual C++ SP1

MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Note: 1: 1935 2:
{3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351} 3: 0x8007371B 4: IAssemblyCacheItem 5:
Commit 6:
policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729.1 ",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchi tecture="x86",type="win32-policy"
MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Assembly Error (sxs): To get more diagnostic
information, enable the Component Based Servicing Log.
MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:571]: Product: Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime -
(v9.0.30729) -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
assembly
'policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729. 1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArch itecture="x86",type="win32-policy"'.
Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007371B.
assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component:
{3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351}

It seems to confirm that it is an assembly error. But how to fix this?

"FHartmann" wrote:

> Winver says:
>
> Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) // 2nd line
>
> I uninstalled SpyBot and I disabled SOPHOS while trying to install the
> updates.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I'm just telling you what the error number means and it means
> > ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND, despite the results of running SFC.
> >
> > Is your Sophos AV subscription current? What third-party firewall is
> > installed (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the
> > background and/or was Spybot Tea Timer and/or SDHelper enabled when you
> > installed SP1?
> >
> > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >
> > Start | Run | (type) winver | OK
> >
> > Please post the contents of the entire second line of the About window.
> > Please be careful not to make any typos.
> >
> > PS: You do NOT want to install IE8 RC1 with the machine in its current
> > state!!
> >
> > FHartmann wrote:
> > > WinSxS seems not to be the problem. Running sfc /scannow found no error.
> > > Sophos (anti virus) and Spybot were both turned off - no improvement. It
> > > is
> > > a Dell Computer with Vista preinstalled, SP1 was installed later as an
> > > update from the web.
> > >
> > > I also cannot install Internet Explorer RC1. It seems the computer no
> > > longer
> > > knows how to perform an update.

Re: Error Code 800736B3
Note, possibly OT: If Spybot Tea Timer had been enabled, uninstalling Spybot
has no affect: You must first disable Tea Timer before you uninstall Spybot.

0x8007371B ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE
One or more required members of the transaction are not present.

0x8007371B is usually corrected by the System Update Readiness Tool but it
should have been offered to your Vista machine before SP1 was offered. You
might see if downloading & installing it manually would help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 (Note that a failure to install
would not be expected)

You might also try downloading and manually installing this one (which also
should have been offered before SP1): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287
(Note that a failure to install would not be expected)

All that being said, none of the updates you've cited so far in this thread
are security updates so you do NOT qualify for free support from MS. Try
Dell Support instead (who'll probably tell you "Not our problem" anyway).

If you can cite a security update that fails to install, I can give you
information for free support from MS.
--
~PA Bear

FHartmann wrote:
> The following is an excerpt from the error log of the failed attempt to
> install Visual C++ SP1
>
> MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Note: 1: 1935 2:
> {3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351} 3: 0x8007371B 4: IAssemblyCacheItem
> 5: Commit 6:
> policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729.1 ",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchi tecture="x86",type="win32-policy"
> MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Assembly Error (sxs): To get more
> diagnostic
> information, enable the Component Based Servicing Log.
> MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:571]: Product: Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime -
> (v9.0.30729) -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
> assembly
> 'policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729. 1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArch itecture="x86",type="win32-policy"'.
> Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:
> 0x8007371B.
> assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component:
> {3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351}
>
> It seems to confirm that it is an assembly error. But how to fix this?
>
>> Winver says:
>>
>> Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) // 2nd line
>>
>> I uninstalled SpyBot and I disabled SOPHOS while trying to install the
>> updates.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> I'm just telling you what the error number means and it means
>>> ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_NOT_FOUND, despite the results of running SFC.
>>>
>>> Is your Sophos AV subscription current? What third-party firewall is
>>> installed (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the
>>> background and/or was Spybot Tea Timer and/or SDHelper enabled when you
>>> installed SP1?
>>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> Start | Run | (type) winver | OK
>>>
>>> Please post the contents of the entire second line of the About window.
>>> Please be careful not to make any typos.
>>>
>>> PS: You do NOT want to install IE8 RC1 with the machine in its current
>>> state!!

FHartmann

Re: Error Code 800736B3
It gets worse.

I downloaded and started ..21 . It got stuck 2/3 of the way. So I stopped it
after half an hour. When I downloaded ..27 it said: 'Wrong machine' (or
something similar).

When I restart ..21 it initializes but the progress bar does not move, it
never leaves its base position.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Note, possibly OT: If Spybot Tea Timer had been enabled, uninstalling Spybot
> has no affect: You must first disable Tea Timer before you uninstall Spybot.
>
> 0x8007371B ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE
> One or more required members of the transaction are not present.
>
> 0x8007371B is usually corrected by the System Update Readiness Tool but it
> should have been offered to your Vista machine before SP1 was offered. You
> might see if downloading & installing it manually would help:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 (Note that a failure to install
> would not be expected)
>
> You might also try downloading and manually installing this one (which also
> should have been offered before SP1): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287
> (Note that a failure to install would not be expected)
>
> All that being said, none of the updates you've cited so far in this thread
> are security updates so you do NOT qualify for free support from MS. Try
> Dell Support instead (who'll probably tell you "Not our problem" anyway).
>
> If you can cite a security update that fails to install, I can give you
> information for free support from MS.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> FHartmann wrote:
> > The following is an excerpt from the error log of the failed attempt to
> > install Visual C++ SP1
> >
> > MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Note: 1: 1935 2:
> > {3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351} 3: 0x8007371B 4: IAssemblyCacheItem
> > 5: Commit 6:
> > policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729.1 ",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchi tecture="x86",type="win32-policy"
> > MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Assembly Error (sxs): To get more
> > diagnostic
> > information, enable the Component Based Servicing Log.
> > MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:571]: Product: Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime -
> > (v9.0.30729) -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
> > assembly
> > 'policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729. 1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArch itecture="x86",type="win32-policy"'.
> > Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:
> > 0x8007371B.
> > assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component:
> > {3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351}
> >
> > It seems to confirm that it is an assembly error. But how to fix this?
> >
> >> Winver says:
> >>
> >> Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) // 2nd line
> >>
> >> I uninstalled SpyBot and I disabled SOPHOS while trying to install the
> >> updates.

Re: Error Code 800736B3
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

FHartmann wrote:
> [...]
>>> MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:569]: Assembly Error (sxs): To get more
>>> diagnostic
>>> information, enable the Component Based Servicing Log.
>>> MSI (s) (68:7C) [15:54:34:571]: Product: Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime -
>>> (v9.0.30729) -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
>>> assembly
>>> 'policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729. 1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArch itecture="x86",type="win32-policy"'.
>>> Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:
>>> 0x8007371B.
>>> assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component:
>>> {3C582984-7607-3E35-A337-D3D327097351}
>>>
>>> It seems to confirm that it is an assembly error. But how to fix this?

FHartmann

Re: Error Code 800736B3
Success!

The first link ... malwareremove ... found nothing (quick search), the
second link ...onecare... did the job. It took 18 hours to complete and it
found and corrected 9 issuses.

Thereafter I could install the Net Framework 3.5 Update, Visual C++ Service
pack 1, IE 8 RC1.

Beautiful. I even can use IE 8 now. Using IE 7 on this computer was like
wading through molasses - and this from the start.

Thanks! Great job!