kb967715 kills my internet acess

webechillin

kb967715 kills my internet acess
I installed kb967715 and it stopped my internet access with both IE7
v7.0.5730.13,
AND Firefox vMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6)
Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729).
I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO.
Why would this kill my internet access? I completely disabled the firewall
for a few minuites and tried to go online, but still no luck.
I un-installed the kb967715 update and had no problems with netwark access.
Just to be sure it was the kb967715 update, I re-loaded the update and the
result was the same, NO internet access.

I called ATT when this happened and the network OK. MY PC was not though.
I have a windowsupdate.log file of my last update install

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
KB967715 only creates a new (and empty) Registry key. The presence of this
key could not possibly affect your internet access...unless perchance you
connect via a wireless USB modem, and even that's a stretch.

> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO

Ugh. Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when you
bought it)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

webechillin wrote:
> I installed kb967715 and it stopped my internet access with both IE7
> v7.0.5730.13,
> AND Firefox vMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6)
> Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729).
> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO.
> Why would this kill my internet access? I completely disabled the firewall
> for a few minuites and tried to go online, but still no luck.
> I un-installed the kb967715 update and had no problems with netwark
> access.
> Just to be sure it was the kb967715 update, I re-loaded the update and the
> result was the same, NO internet access.
>
> I called ATT when this happened and the network OK. MY PC was not though.
> I have a windowsupdate.log file of my last update install

Ohno

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
I understand the creation of the new registry key, however I thought it also
created an entry in the group policy editor.

If the key is the only thing for sure it creates I will manually create that
key to try to solve my issue in another thread.

> KB967715 only creates a new (and empty) Registry key. The presence of
> this key could not possibly affect your internet access...unless perchance
> you connect via a wireless USB modem, and even that's a stretch.
>
>> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
>> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO

> Ugh. Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when you
> bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> webechillin wrote:
>> I installed kb967715 and it stopped my internet access with both IE7
>> v7.0.5730.13,
>> AND Firefox vMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6)
>> Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729).
>> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
>> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO.
>> Why would this kill my internet access? I completely disabled the
>> firewall
>> for a few minuites and tried to go online, but still no luck.
>> I un-installed the kb967715 update and had no problems with netwark
>> access.
>> Just to be sure it was the kb967715 update, I re-loaded the update and
>> the
>> result was the same, NO internet access.
>>
>> I called ATT when this happened and the network OK. MY PC was not though.
>> I have a windowsupdate.log file of my last update install

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
Inline...

Ohno wrote:
> I understand the creation of the new registry key, however I thought it
> also
> created an entry in the group policy editor.

Nope. After installing KB967715, GPO settings must be changed.

I do have one correction to my previous reply: After installing KB967715,
"Autorun features for network drives [may] no longer function. This is
because, by default, Autorun on network drives is set to disabled in the
registry, and after the update is installed, the previously set registry key
to disable Autorun on network drives will be properly enforced. This is the
only functionality that will change by default after the update is
installed. Users will still need to update the registry key values to
disable Autorun functionality for USB and CD-ROM drives." (Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/967940.mspx)

> If the key is the only thing for sure it creates I will manually create
> that
> key to try to solve my issue in another thread.

OK, or you could see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252. (If you
install KB953252 and then make the recommend/desired changes, you will not
need to install KB967715 nor should it be offered to the machine. Also see
the Workarounds section of KB953252.)
--
~PA Bear

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> KB967715 only creates a new (and empty) Registry key. The presence of
>> this key could not possibly affect your internet access...unless
>> perchance
>> you connect via a wireless USB modem, and even that's a stretch.
>>
>>> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
>>> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO

>> Ugh. Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when
>> you
>> bought it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> webechillin wrote:
>>> I installed kb967715 and it stopped my internet access with both IE7
>>> v7.0.5730.13,
>>> AND Firefox vMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6)
>>> Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729).
>>> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
>>> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO.
>>> Why would this kill my internet access? I completely disabled the
>>> firewall
>>> for a few minuites and tried to go online, but still no luck.
>>> I un-installed the kb967715 update and had no problems with netwark
>>> access.
>>> Just to be sure it was the kb967715 update, I re-loaded the update and
>>> the
>>> result was the same, NO internet access.
>>>
>>> I called ATT when this happened and the network OK. MY PC was not
>>> though.
>>> I have a windowsupdate.log file of my last update install

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> KB967715 only creates a new (and empty) Registry key.

Just to expand on this, I believe this is probably only true if all earlier
updates are already installed. (The update does contain updated files, but if
your machine is up-to-date you may well already have them.)

Harry.

> The presence of
> this key could not possibly affect your internet access...unless
> perchance you connect via a wireless USB modem, and even that's a stretch.
>
>> I am using Norton Security Online for firewall and virus protection, V
>> 10.2.0.30 for ATT YAHOO

> Ugh. Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when
> you bought it)?

webechillin

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
I did the KB953252 updat w/no KB967715 update installed, and still the same
bottom line, no internet access. uninstalled KB953252, and ding there it is
my internet!
Now what? I really do not want to dig around all over windows and for
registry entrys.....

Larry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Inline...
>
> Ohno wrote:
> > I understand the creation of the new registry key, however I thought it
> > also
> > created an entry in the group policy editor.

> Nope. After installing KB967715, GPO settings must be changed.
>
> I do have one correction to my previous reply: After installing KB967715,
> "Autorun features for network drives [may] no longer function. This is
> because, by default, Autorun on network drives is set to disabled in the
> registry, and after the update is installed, the previously set registry key
> to disable Autorun on network drives will be properly enforced. This is the
> only functionality that will change by default after the update is
> installed. Users will still need to update the registry key values to
> disable Autorun functionality for USB and CD-ROM drives." (Source:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/967940.mspx)
>
> > If the key is the only thing for sure it creates I will manually create
> > that
> > key to try to solve my issue in another thread.

> OK, or you could see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252. (If you
> install KB953252 and then make the recommend/desired changes, you will not
> need to install KB967715 nor should it be offered to the machine. Also see
> the Workarounds section of KB953252.)
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> KB967715 only creates a new (and empty) Registry key. The presence of
> >> this key could not possibly affect your internet access...unless
> >> perchance
> >> you connect via a wireless USB modem, and even that's a stretch.

> >> Ugh. Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when
> >> you
> >> bought it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
[This is an excellent example of the confusion that can arise when someone
(Ohno) "hijacks" someone else's thread.]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).

Please define "kills my internet access"? Are you getting "Page cannot be
displayed" errors? Can your Mail Client and/or Instant Messenger connect?

Repost from my reply to *your* post...

> ...Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when you
> bought it)?

Are you sure your freebie "Norton Security Online" is still valid? (I think
v10.2.0.30 is pretty old.)

What happens when you disable the Norton Firewall and enable the Windows
Firewall?

Do you connect directly via the DSL modem, via a (separate) router, or
wirelessly?
--
~PA Bear

webechillin wrote:
> I did the KB953252 updat w/no KB967715 update installed, and still the
> same
> bottom line, no internet access. uninstalled KB953252, and ding there it
> is
> my internet!
> Now what? I really do not want to dig around all over windows and for
> registry entrys.....
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Inline...
>>
>> Ohno wrote:
>>> I understand the creation of the new registry key, however I thought it
>>> also
>>> created an entry in the group policy editor.

>> Nope. After installing KB967715, GPO settings must be changed.
>>
>> I do have one correction to my previous reply: After installing KB967715,
>> "Autorun features for network drives [may] no longer function. This is
>> because, by default, Autorun on network drives is set to disabled in the
>> registry, and after the update is installed, the previously set registry
>> key to disable Autorun on network drives will be properly enforced. This
>> is the only functionality that will change by default after the update is
>> installed. Users will still need to update the registry key values to
>> disable Autorun functionality for USB and CD-ROM drives." (Source:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/967940.mspx)
>>
>>> If the key is the only thing for sure it creates I will manually create
>>> that
>>> key to try to solve my issue in another thread.

>> OK, or you could see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252. (If you
>> install KB953252 and then make the recommend/desired changes, you will
>> not
>> need to install KB967715 nor should it be offered to the machine. Also
>> see
>> the Workarounds section of KB953252.)
>> --
>> ~PA Bear

Ohno

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
Sorry PA was not trying to hijack a thread, just trying to understand
something you said so I could try to apply it as well.

> [This is an excellent example of the confusion that can arise when someone
> (Ohno) "hijacks" someone else's thread.]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
>
> Please define "kills my internet access"? Are you getting "Page cannot be
> displayed" errors? Can your Mail Client and/or Instant Messenger connect?
>
> Repost from my reply to *your* post...
>
>> ...Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when
>> you
>> bought it)?

> Are you sure your freebie "Norton Security Online" is still valid? (I
> think v10.2.0.30 is pretty old.)
>
> What happens when you disable the Norton Firewall and enable the Windows
> Firewall?
>
> Do you connect directly via the DSL modem, via a (separate) router, or
> wirelessly?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> webechillin wrote:
>> I did the KB953252 updat w/no KB967715 update installed, and still the
>> same
>> bottom line, no internet access. uninstalled KB953252, and ding there it
>> is
>> my internet!
>> Now what? I really do not want to dig around all over windows and for
>> registry entrys.....
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>>> Nope. After installing KB967715, GPO settings must be changed.
>>>
>>> I do have one correction to my previous reply: After installing
>>> KB967715,
>>> "Autorun features for network drives [may] no longer function. This is
>>> because, by default, Autorun on network drives is set to disabled in the
>>> registry, and after the update is installed, the previously set registry
>>> key to disable Autorun on network drives will be properly enforced. This
>>> is the only functionality that will change by default after the update
>>> is
>>> installed. Users will still need to update the registry key values to
>>> disable Autorun functionality for USB and CD-ROM drives." (Source:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/967940.mspx)

>>> OK, or you could see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252. (If you
>>> install KB953252 and then make the recommend/desired changes, you will
>>> not
>>> need to install KB967715 nor should it be offered to the machine. Also
>>> see
>>> the Workarounds section of KB953252.)
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: kb967715 kills my internet acess
[Not blaming you: 'webchillin' should have replied to my post, not yours,
and answered my questions.]

Ohno wrote:
> Sorry PA was not trying to hijack a thread, just trying to understand
> something you said so I could try to apply it as well.
>
>> [This is an excellent example of the confusion that can arise when
>> someone
>> (Ohno) "hijacks" someone else's thread.]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
>>
>> Please define "kills my internet access"? Are you getting "Page cannot
>> be
>> displayed" errors? Can your Mail Client and/or Instant Messenger
>> connect?
>>
>> Repost from my reply to *your* post...
>>
>>> ...Has another Norton (or a McAfee) application ever been installed
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the machine when
>>> you
>>> bought it)?

>> Are you sure your freebie "Norton Security Online" is still valid? (I
>> think v10.2.0.30 is pretty old.)
>>
>> What happens when you disable the Norton Firewall and enable the Windows
>> Firewall?
>>
>> Do you connect directly via the DSL modem, via a (separate) router, or
>> wirelessly?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> webechillin wrote:
>>> I did the KB953252 updat w/no KB967715 update installed, and still the
>>> same
>>> bottom line, no internet access. uninstalled KB953252, and ding there it
>>> is
>>> my internet!
>>> Now what? I really do not want to dig around all over windows and for
>>> registry entrys.....

workingh

RE: kb967715 kills my internet acess

Smae problem here I have one PC running XP pro with SP3 Ie 7 or safari
would work with this update
I stoped services for all my fire wall and anti viruses same problem
funny thing is in dos I can ping any address on the internet like yahoo.com
...etc and comes back fine .. i unstalled it ..and ie works fine