Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Update error 80070490

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2009
Frederic
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Update error 80070490
Hello!

It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0

I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.

The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.

Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2009
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update error 80070490
Hello Frederic,

Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=09c17 25e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c&mid=09c1725e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c>

Come back and let everyone here know the results.



Good luck



Ǝиçεl

-=-

"Frederic" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
>
> I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
>
> The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
>
> Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2009
Frederic
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update error 80070490
Engel,

Many thanks for your swift reply. I ran the "sfc /scannow" command as
suggested but it didn't detect any problem. Any other suggestion please?



"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Frederic,
>
> Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=09c17 25e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c&mid=09c1725e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c>
>
> Come back and let everyone here know the results.
>
>
>
> Good luck
>
>
>
> Ǝиçεl
>
> -=-
>
> "Frederic" wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> > and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> > update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
> >
> > I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> > that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
> >
> > The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
> >
> > Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2009
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update error 80070490
Hello Frederic,

Test this diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts are working and a
new Validation tool
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Doesn't hurt to try the link
-=-

Go ahead and download\update from here
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Click the link in the right frame under ' Latest Definition Updates '
for either the x86 [32 bit] or x64 [64 bit] edition of Windows installed.

*Save* the definitions that will now download.

Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.

Now run the downloaded file [ if the edition of Windows is Vista, then
*right* click it and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts
to allow it to run ].

Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.

See if that both brings you up to date, and perhaps improves on the behavior
in future.

I hope this post is helpful.


Let us know how it works ºut.


Good luck


ƎиçΞᴌ
-=-


"Frederic" wrote:

> Engel,
>
> Many thanks for your swift reply. I ran the "sfc /scannow" command as
> suggested but it didn't detect any problem. Any other suggestion please?
>
>
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Frederic,
> >
> > Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=09c17 25e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c&mid=09c1725e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c>
> >
> > Come back and let everyone here know the results.
> >
> >
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> >
> >
> > Ǝиçεl
> >
> > -=-
> >
> > "Frederic" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> > > and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> > > update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
> > >
> > > I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> > > that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
> > >
> > > The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
> > >
> > > Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update error 80070490
See this recent & related post:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e4e86f5da52260
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Frederic wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
>
> I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
>
> The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
>
> Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2009
Frederic
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update error 80070490
Hello Engel,

Thanks again for your help. The first link you suggested tells me that my
system is OK. However, when I tried to manually install the last definition
updates, nothing happened (but I didn't receive any error message either).
Besides, Windows Update still doesn't work.

Do you have any other suggestion please?

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Frederic,
>
> Test this diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts are working and a
> new Validation tool
> <http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>
>
> Doesn't hurt to try the link
> -=-
>
> Go ahead and download\update from here
> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
>
> Click the link in the right frame under ' Latest Definition Updates '
> for either the x86 [32 bit] or x64 [64 bit] edition of Windows installed.
>
> *Save* the definitions that will now download.
>
> Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
>
> Now run the downloaded file [ if the edition of Windows is Vista, then
> *right* click it and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts
> to allow it to run ].
>
> Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.
>
> See if that both brings you up to date, and perhaps improves on the behavior
> in future.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
>
> Good luck
>
>
> ƎиçΞᴌ
> -=-
>
>
> "Frederic" wrote:
>
> > Engel,
> >
> > Many thanks for your swift reply. I ran the "sfc /scannow" command as
> > suggested but it didn't detect any problem. Any other suggestion please?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Frederic,
> > >
> > > Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................
> > >
> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=09c17 25e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c&mid=09c1725e-12c2-4687-ba98-7f93087b314c>
> > >
> > > Come back and let everyone here know the results.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Good luck
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ǝиçεl
> > >
> > > -=-
> > >
> > > "Frederic" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hello!
> > > >
> > > > It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> > > > and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> > > > update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
> > > >
> > > > I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> > > > that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
> > > >
> > > > The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
> > > >
> > > > Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2009
Frederic
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update error 80070490
Hello PA Bear,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried the procedure suggested in the link you
sent and I couldn't find any error message in the CBS.log file. Do yoy have
another suggestion please?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See this recent & related post:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e4e86f5da52260
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Frederic wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for updates
> > and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
> > update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
> >
> > I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it seems
> > that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
> >
> > The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business SP1.
> >
> > Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update error 80070490
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

**Seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
=====================
Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates.

Frederic wrote:
> Hello PA Bear,
>
> Many thanks for your reply. I tried the procedure suggested in the link
> you
> sent and I couldn't find any error message in the CBS.log file. Do yoy
> have
> another suggestion please?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> See this recent & related post:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e4e86f5da52260
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Frederic wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> It's been several weeks now that Windows Update fails to look for
>>> updates
>>> and displays error code 80070490. The error started after the following
>>> update of Windows Defender: KB915597, definition 1.47.966.0
>>>
>>> I've been looking for fixes on forums and tried several of them (it
>>> seems
>>> that I'm not the only one to have this problem) but none of them worked.
>>>
>>> The problem occurs on a laptop Dell Latitude D630 with Vista Business
>>> SP1.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please help me? Many thanks in advance for your help.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Windows Update error Code: 80070490 Windows Update encountered an unknown error Michel Speed microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 01-24-2009 23:02
Windows Update Error Message 80070490 GSL microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 01-19-2009 05:39
Windows Vista Ultimate Update Error 80070490 mohc Windows Vista Update 0 08-11-2008 04:34
Windows Vista Ultimate Update Error 80070490 mohc Introduce Yourself 0 08-11-2008 04:22




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120