Windows Automatic update keeps turning off

peggy

Windows Automatic update keeps turning off
I check control panel/ security/ and see auto updates disabled. I enter the
Start, Run, enter service.msc command and make sure updates, BIT and event
log are enabled but still can't get Update to complete checking for updates.
I also have a webpage that keeps popping up including windows defender which
I uninstalled this morming.
nottoohappycamper
Engel

RE: Windows Automatic update keeps turning off
Hello Peggy,

Suggest you scan the system for the pяesence of Vundo (aka Virtumonde).

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

If the Windows Malicious Software Tool is not installed nor scanned the
system recently, then suggest you first utilize it and see if it detects and
removes Vundo.

Windows Malicious Softwaяe Tool
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>
Download to the desktop, close any open page, and run.
-=-

Tools that can fix the pяoblem would be:
-SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS)
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
-Windows Live OneCare (WLOC) online scan
-Windows Malicious Software Tool (WMRT)
-WindowsDefender (WD)
-=-

A very good antimalwaяe app is SUPERAntiSpyware.
There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
-=-

Try яunning Malwarebytes Anti-Malware... download, update, and perform a
full system scan:
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=401>
-=-

Windows Live OneCaяe online scan
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>
Look for Protection, the broom Clean up, also Tune Up..
-=-

Windows Defendeя
Consider going to the secuяity portal

<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/>

and downloading the 32-bit definitions for Windows Defender to the desktop,
then double-click them to apply.

Have you done any scans within safe mode ?

Restaяt in safe mode and scan with both updated WD, your Antivirus, (MBAM),
(SAS), (WMRT) and (WLOC)
-=-

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive softwaяe
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315>
-=-

or

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
-=-

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it woяks ºut.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"peggy" wrote:

> I check control panel/ security/ and see auto updates disabled. I enter the
> Start, Run, enter service.msc command and make sure updates, BIT and event
> log are enabled but still can't get Update to complete checking for updates.
> I also have a webpage that keeps popping up including windows defender which
> I uninstalled this morming.
> nottoohappycamper

peggy

RE: Windows Automatic update keeps turning off
Thanks so much! I chose to try SAS because of your advice and that of a good
friend. I first did a complete scan that took several hours and stopped all
running aplications in the Office tool bar, ATI side bar and task bar. What
worried me was that SAS left my screensaver "Windows logo" with 15 or more
"application error" msges in the centre and the subsequent "report this
problem to microsoft" and "error reporting completed" but didn't leave any
indication of what it found. It just disappeared! SO Next I ran a quick scan.
This was much quicker ||(about 20 min.) and found 175 items. I had used
McAaffee Virus Shield, Ad-aware6.0, CleanMyPCregistry, and none of them
caught the Trojians. There were 5 which I quarantined and then removed .After
re-booting, things are looking good and I am also going to load the KB89830
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool .
I am glad I asked in this forum. Your name is fitting.... ENGEL

--
nottoohappycamper

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315>
> -=-
>
> or

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> -=-
>

> I hope this post is helpful.
>

> Let us know how it woяks ºut.
>
> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>

> "peggy" wrote:
>
> > I check control panel/ security/ and see auto updates disabled. I enter the
> > Start, Run, enter service.msc command and make sure updates, BIT and event
> > log are enabled but still can't get Update to complete checking for updates.
> > I also have a webpage that keeps popping up including windows defender which
> > I uninstalled this morming.
> > nottoohappycamper

Engel

RE: Windows Automatic update keeps turning off
Hi Peggy,

You're welcome, glad to have been of service and thanks for posting back.

(¯`·._.·Ǝиçεl·._.·´¯)
-=-

"peggy" wrote:

> [...]
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates.
> > -=-
> >

> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >

> > Let us know how it woяks ºut.
> >
> > Ǝиçεl
> > -=-
> >

> > "peggy" wrote:
> >
> > > I check control panel/ security/ and see auto updates disabled. I enter the
> > > Start, Run, enter service.msc command and make sure updates, BIT and event
> > > log are enabled but still can't get Update to complete checking for updates.
> > > I also have a webpage that keeps popping up including windows defender which
> > > I uninstalled this morming.
> > > nottoohappycamper

Re: Windows Automatic update keeps turning off
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting the requested
logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm