Is .net framework necessary?

Geronimo

Is .net framework necessary?
I have an Asus Eee PC 901 netbook with XP home that is completely up to date,
as of 2/26/09 (except for .net framework 3.5). It is running with IE 7. This
computer has the solid state drive, (actually two drives; C: with 4 Gb, D:
with 8 Gb. My problem is that updates seem to use the C: drive and I am
running out of space. I have removed most programs, installed software that
is supposed to redirect new program installs to the D drive, nothing helps.
Now I have .Net 3.5 waiting in the wings, but I do not have room to install
it.
My main question is: since this is basically an email (with some internet
browsing), do I need the .net system at all?
My second question is: any ideas for reversing the roles of the two drives,
so the D: drive could be my main drive.
Appreciate your help.
Jim

Re: Is .net framework necessary?

"Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus Eee PC 901 netbook with XP home that is completely up to
>date,
> as of 2/26/09 (except for .net framework 3.5). It is running with IE 7.
> This
> computer has the solid state drive, (actually two drives; C: with 4 Gb, D:
> with 8 Gb. My problem is that updates seem to use the C: drive and I am
> running out of space. I have removed most programs, installed software
> that
> is supposed to redirect new program installs to the D drive, nothing
> helps.
> Now I have .Net 3.5 waiting in the wings, but I do not have room to
> install
> it.
> My main question is: since this is basically an email (with some internet
> browsing), do I need the .net system at all?
> My second question is: any ideas for reversing the roles of the two
> drives,
> so the D: drive could be my main drive.
> Appreciate your help.

The .net software is optional. Certain programs use one or more of the .net
packages; if the particular packages are not present at installation, the
installer is supposed to include the needed version.
Neither of your drives is really big enough. Considering the amount of work
that it would take to make change the location of the system from one drive
to another and also that moving to the 8 GB drive only postpones your
problem, I would advise replacing the 4 GB drive with a much bigger drive.

My laptop could not run Windows XP on either of your drives without removing
so much that it would be useless.

Jim

Re: Is .net framework necessary?
See
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...fications.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Geronimo wrote:
> I have an Asus Eee PC 901 netbook with XP home that is completely up to
> date, as of 2/26/09 (except for .net framework 3.5). It is running with IE
> 7. This computer has the solid state drive, (actually two drives; C: with
> 4
> Gb, D: with 8 Gb. My problem is that updates seem to use the C: drive and
> am running out of space. I have removed most programs, installed software
> that is supposed to redirect new program installs to the D drive, nothing
> helps. Now I have .Net 3.5 waiting in the wings, but I do not have room to
> install it.
> My main question is: since this is basically an email (with some internet
> browsing), do I need the .net system at all?
> My second question is: any ideas for reversing the roles of the two
> drives,
> so the D: drive could be my main drive.
> Appreciate your help.

Geronimo

Re: Is .net framework necessary?
Yes, it seems it was a big mistake to buy this computer, at least with XP on
it. I should have tried it with Linux. Thanks for your advise.