Windows Update error 80200011

ch742718

Windows Update error 80200011
Running Vista Home Premium (32 bit).

Previously, using Ethernet/ADSL or Wi-Fi to connect to the internet I
have had no problems with Windows Update, however since switching to
dial-up via an HSDPA USB modem (Huawei E220) to connect to mobile
broadband, Windows Update fails with error 80200011.

I can download files via IE, including updates from the MS downdload
site, and can check for and see pending updates but cannot download
them. I have traced the fault so far to the BITS client, and the
error is listed here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc734580.aspx
0x80200011 BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE When BITS sends a HEAD request and
the server or proxy does not return a Content-Length header in the
response, BITS puts the job in ERROR state with
BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE. Check the proxy and server to ensure that they
are configured correctly. Some versions of the Apache 2.0 proxy server
are known to exhibit this behavior.

When looking at the BITS job that WU creates, I can see the URL and
can then copy this to IE and successfully download the file, so it
appears to be an issue with how BITS downloads files, as opposed to
how IE downloads. As far as I can tell there is no proxy, so the
Apache reference may be a red herring. Also friends using the same
modem/service, but with Windows XP have no problems.

I have tried clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, reinstalling
WU, checking BITS (no errors) etc. I am also running NIS2008 but
disabling this does not help. The error is also present when I try to
use the Windows Update Catalog or Windows Defender (as I believe both
also use BITS).

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Re: Windows Update error 80200011
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

On Feb 27, 10:14*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > are configured correctly. Some versions of the Apache 2.0 proxy server
> > are known to exhibit this behavior.

> > When looking at the BITS job that WU creates, I can see the URL and
> > can then copy this to IE and successfully download the file, so it
> > appears to be an issue with how BITS downloads files, as opposed to
> > how IE downloads. *As far as I can tell there is no proxy, so the
> > Apache reference may be a red herring. Also friends using the same
> > modem/service, but with Windows XP have no problems.

> > I have tried clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, reinstalling
> > WU, checking BITS (no errors) etc. *I am also running NIS2008 but
> > disabling this does not help. *The error is also present when I try to
> > use the Windows Update Catalog or Windows Defender (as I believe both
> > also use BITS).

> > Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.- Hide quoted text -

What indication do you have for this? I see not indication of any
malware. All scans report clean.

Re: Windows Update error 80200011
Repost:

ch742718 wrote:
> [...]

>>> are known to exhibit this behavior.

>>> When looking at the BITS job that WU creates, I can see the URL and
>>> can then copy this to IE and successfully download the file, so it
>>> appears to be an issue with how BITS downloads files, as opposed to
>>> how IE downloads. As far as I can tell there is no proxy, so the
>>> Apache reference may be a red herring. Also friends using the same
>>> modem/service, but with Windows XP have no problems.

>>> I have tried clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, reinstalling
>>> WU, checking BITS (no errors) etc. I am also running NIS2008 but
>>> disabling this does not help. The error is also present when I try to
>>> use the Windows Update Catalog or Windows Defender (as I believe both
>>> also use BITS).

>>> Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.- Hide quoted text -

> What indication do you have for this? I see not indication of any

TaurArian

ch742718 wrote:
:: Running Vista Home Premium (32 bit).
::
[...]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958047
Step 2: Clear the BITS queue of any current jobs

Not exact error code but did you try also clearing the BITS queue of any
current jobs and then clear the softwaredistribution folder and rebooting.

Otherwise do as suggested - start a free incident report.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

ch742718

Re: Windows Update error 80200011
The BITS queue is clear (always, except during download an it clears
after WU fails). SoftwareDistribution cleared (several times) and
entire WU package reinstalled. BITS installation check also run with
no errors.

I will try the solution in KB958047 and advise if successful.

Have had an incident ongoing for some time but so far without any
identification of cause or any solution (except several trial-and-
error attempts to fix problem by means of elimination rather than any
methodological approach to acgually identify the cause).