KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update

ralph

KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Hello
Does anyone know how many MB will be added when one installs the subject
when one has .net framework 1.1, 1.1 hot fix, and 2 service pack 1 already
installed? Thanks
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Depends upon which edition of Windows is involved, Ralph.
MS still has not adequately documented just why .NET 3 and 3.5 will be
installed with KB951847 and, if the system is XP, will *substantially*
increase the update's size.

If the system in question is XP, then suggest you decline the update and
Hide it, then just install SP2 for .NET 2.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ralph wrote:

> Hello
> Does anyone know how many MB will be added when one installs the subject
> when one has .net framework 1.1, 1.1 hot fix, and 2 service pack 1 already
> installed? Thanks

ralph

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Hi Mow
Thanks for the reply and information. I already have SP2, KB927928, KB936181
and KB954930 installed; what should I do? Thanks Ralph

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Depends upon which edition of Windows is involved, Ralph.
> MS still has not adequately documented just why .NET 3 and 3.5 will be
> installed with KB951847 and, if the system is XP, will *substantially*
> increase the update's size.
>
> If the system in question is XP, then suggest you decline the update and
> Hide it, then just install SP2 for .NET 2.0:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> ralph wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > Does anyone know how many MB will be added when one installs the subject
> > when one has .net framework 1.1, 1.1 hot fix, and 2 service pack 1 already
> > installed? Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
You're mowst welcome Ralph. I'm still not clear as to which .NET
Frameworks and SPs are currently installed on your system.

You state that " I already have SP2 " ... is that .NET Framework 2.0
SP2 ?

If the answer is yes, then still suggest you hide the update as it will
install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5. The *only* reason that *you* would need to
install those runtimes was if *you* installed software that requires it
to run. MS' has no right to install unneeded, unwanted runtimes on
*your* system, it's *your* decision.
If MS has a compelling reason for one to install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5,
then they should document it. As of yet, they have not.

If the answer is no, then suggest you install .NET 2 SP2 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0

KB927928 and KB936181 have nothing to do with .NET, they're MSXML
updates. I find nothing of reference as to KB954930. Did you get the KB
number correct ? It is possible that it's a superseded update ...

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ralph wrote:

> Hi Mow
> Thanks for the reply and information. I already have SP2, KB927928, KB936181
> and KB954930 installed; what should I do? Thanks Ralph
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Depends upon which edition of Windows is involved, Ralph.
>>MS still has not adequately documented just why .NET 3 and 3.5 will be
>>installed with KB951847 and, if the system is XP, will *substantially*
>>increase the update's size.
>>
>>If the system in question is XP, then suggest you decline the update and
>>Hide it, then just install SP2 for .NET 2.0:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>ralph wrote:
>>

>>>Hello
>>>Does anyone know how many MB will be added when one installs the subject
>>>when one has .net framework 1.1, 1.1 hot fix, and 2 service pack 1 already
>>>installed? Thanks

ralph

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Mow
Heres what I have:
Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
XP home all updates included
Thanks
"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You're mowst welcome Ralph. I'm still not clear as to which .NET
> Frameworks and SPs are currently installed on your system.
>
> You state that " I already have SP2 " ... is that .NET Framework 2.0
> SP2 ?
>
> If the answer is yes, then still suggest you hide the update as it will
> install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5. The *only* reason that *you* would need to
> install those runtimes was if *you* installed software that requires it
> to run. MS' has no right to install unneeded, unwanted runtimes on
> *your* system, it's *your* decision.
> If MS has a compelling reason for one to install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5,
> then they should document it. As of yet, they have not.
>
> If the answer is no, then suggest you install .NET 2 SP2 from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>
> KB927928 and KB936181 have nothing to do with .NET, they're MSXML
> updates. I find nothing of reference as to KB954930. Did you get the KB
> number correct ? It is possible that it's a superseded update ...
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> ralph wrote:
>
> > Hi Mow
> > Thanks for the reply and information. I already have SP2, KB927928, KB936181
> > and KB954930 installed; what should I do? Thanks Ralph
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Depends upon which edition of Windows is involved, Ralph.
> >>MS still has not adequately documented just why .NET 3 and 3.5 will be
> >>installed with KB951847 and, if the system is XP, will *substantially*
> >>increase the update's size.
> >>
> >>If the system in question is XP, then suggest you decline the update and
> >>Hide it, then just install SP2 for .NET 2.0:
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

JS

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
If you only have .Net 1.0, 1.1 and .Net 2.0 SP1 installed
and only want .Net 2.0 SP2 installed with the Family Update,
then there is a negligible change is in the amount of disk space
used after the install has completed.

For more on .Net 2.0 SP2 and the Family update see:
NET Framework 3.5 Family Update
(How to install only the NET 2.0 SP2 and Family update)
http://www.pagestart.com/netframeworkfamilyupdate.html

NET Framework - Disk space requirements, Part 1
http://www.pagestart.com/netframeworkpart1.html

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> Does anyone know how many MB will be added when one installs the subject
> when one has .net framework 1.1, 1.1 hot fix, and 2 service pack 1 already
> installed? Thanks

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Then suggest you install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and just hide the
massive, uneeded .NET 3.5 SP and 'Family' updates, Ralph:

ralph wrote:

> Mow
> Heres what I have:
> Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
> XP home all updates included
> Thanks
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>You're mowst welcome Ralph. I'm still not clear as to which .NET
>>Frameworks and SPs are currently installed on your system.
>>
>>You state that " I already have SP2 " ... is that .NET Framework 2.0
>>SP2 ?
>>
>>If the answer is yes, then still suggest you hide the update as it will
>>install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5. The *only* reason that *you* would need to
>>install those runtimes was if *you* installed software that requires it
>>to run. MS' has no right to install unneeded, unwanted runtimes on
>>*your* system, it's *your* decision.
>>If MS has a compelling reason for one to install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5,
>>then they should document it. As of yet, they have not.
>>
>>If the answer is no, then suggest you install .NET 2 SP2 from here:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>>
>>KB927928 and KB936181 have nothing to do with .NET, they're MSXML
>>updates. I find nothing of reference as to KB954930. Did you get the KB
>>number correct ? It is possible that it's a superseded update ...
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>ralph wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Mow
>>>Thanks for the reply and information. I already have SP2, KB927928, KB936181
>>>and KB954930 installed; what should I do? Thanks Ralph

ralph

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Mow
Thanks again; how do I hide the massive .NET 305? Did not know one could do
this.
ralph

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Then suggest you install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and just hide the
> massive, uneeded .NET 3.5 SP and 'Family' updates, Ralph:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> ralph wrote:
>
> > Mow
> > Heres what I have:
> > Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
> > XP home all updates included
> > Thanks
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>You're mowst welcome Ralph. I'm still not clear as to which .NET
> >>Frameworks and SPs are currently installed on your system.
> >>
> >>You state that " I already have SP2 " ... is that .NET Framework 2.0
> >>SP2 ?
> >>
> >>If the answer is yes, then still suggest you hide the update as it will
> >>install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5. The *only* reason that *you* would need to
> >>install those runtimes was if *you* installed software that requires it
> >>to run. MS' has no right to install unneeded, unwanted runtimes on
> >>*your* system, it's *your* decision.
> >>If MS has a compelling reason for one to install .NET 3 and .NET 3.5,
> >>then they should document it. As of yet, they have not.
> >>
> >>If the answer is no, then suggest you install .NET 2 SP2 from here:
> >>
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
> >>
> >>KB927928 and KB936181 have nothing to do with .NET, they're MSXML
> >>updates. I find nothing of reference as to KB954930. Did you get the KB
> >>number correct ? It is possible that it's a superseded update ...
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
When the yellow update icon appears in the Notification area, click it.
then UNcheck the boxes next to the .NET updates, click OK, and then put
a mark in the boxes next to 'Hide this update ...', then click OK.
IF Automatic Updates is set to " Automatically download recommended
updates for my computer and install them ", then you will *not* see the
yellow update icon. The other 2 AU settings *will* pop up the yellow
update icon.

Alernatively, visit either the Windows or Microsoft Update sistes, once
the initial scan completes click the Custom button.
Click the plus sign next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86, then put a mark in
the box next to " Don't show this update again ".

BTW, the link I supplied for .NET 2 Service Pack 2 was *incorrect*.
That's for the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 .
The *correct* link is

My bad, ralph.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ralph wrote:

> Mow
> Thanks again; how do I hide the massive .NET 305? Did not know one could do
> this.
> ralph
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Then suggest you install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and just hide the
>>massive, uneeded .NET 3.5 SP and 'Family' updates, Ralph:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-b4e1b196d5c0
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>ralph wrote:
>>

>>>Mow
>>>Heres what I have:
>>> Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
>>> XP home all updates included
>>>Thanks

ralph

Re: KB951847 .net framework 305 service pack 1 and update
Mow
Great info
Thanks, ralph