Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2

Tresa

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
This update won't stop updating. Should I turn off automatic updates? It has
updated 8 times now and wants to do it again. I tried this on the 19th but it
is back. Wanting to update again.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, and
then press ENTER.

Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message.
Cannot find the file specified.
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com (http://www.update.microsoft.com)
Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Re: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
Did you Search this newsgroup and find any other posts about this?

Pick one or two:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...pack+2+%2B+mvp
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tresa wrote:
> This update won't stop updating. Should I turn off automatic updates? It
> has
> updated 8 times now and wants to do it again. I tried this on the 19th but
> it is back. Wanting to update again.
>
> To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
> and
> then press ENTER.
>
> Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message.
> Cannot find the file specified.
> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://www.update.microsoft.com (http://www.update.microsoft.com)
> Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Tresa

Re: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pa
I did some research and seems Kodak Easyshare might be the problem. Found
this discussion.

Kodak's latest update for their EasyShare software, apparently breaks
the KB954430 update for XP SP3, again related to Microsoft XML Core
Services 4.0 Service Pack.

1. Using Microsoft update I hid KB 954430 so that it was not reoffered
while I found a solution. I hid it because I do not like turning off
automatic update. Turning off the Automatic update would give the same
result. Make sure you remember to turn it back on. :-)

2. Downloaded MSXML4-KB954430-enu.exe from:

3. Deleted MSXML4-KB954430 using Add Remove program in control panel.

4. Installed MSXML4-KB954430-enu.exe by clicking on it.

KB954430 has not been reoffered ever since.

So I will either try this or remove Easyshare. What do you think would be
easier?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you Search this newsgroup and find any other posts about this?
>
> Pick one or two:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...pack+2+%2B+mvp
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Tresa wrote:
> > This update won't stop updating. Should I turn off automatic updates? It
> > has
> > updated 8 times now and wants to do it again. I tried this on the 19th but
> > it is back. Wanting to update again.
> >
> > To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> > Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> > At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
> > and
> > then press ENTER.
> >
> > Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message.
> > Cannot find the file specified.
> > Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> > At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> > Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> > http://www.update.microsoft.com (http://www.update.microsoft.com)
> > Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

PeteF

RE: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
Did this work? I have had the same update 106 times now. I tried following
the instructions but got an 'access denied'.

"Tresa" wrote:

> This update won't stop updating. Should I turn off automatic updates? It has
> updated 8 times now and wants to do it again. I tried this on the 19th but it
> is back. Wanting to update again.
>
> To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, and
> then press ENTER.
>
> Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message.
> Cannot find the file specified.
> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://www.update.microsoft.com (http://www.update.microsoft.com)
> Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PeteF wrote:

> Did this work? I have had the same update 106 times now. I tried following
> the instructions but got an 'access denied'.

I suggest you try downloading the update from the download center:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=021e12f5-cb46-43df-a2b8-185639ba2807>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-185639ba2807

(or search Microsoft's web site for 936181) and then try installing it in Safe Mode.

Haryr.