KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643

jeaqc

KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
2 Problems: 1) for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the Windows Update Manager asks for
Disk 1 every time I log on to Windows. What does this refer to? (It takes 5-6
tries to bypass this sequence of requests)
2) 2 hours ago I tried to check for missing updates. According to Update
Histroy Lorg All MS updates for the past 6 months were successful. I then
tried a new update and received a message that update KB951847 failed with an
Error Code of 0x643. Neither Google nor Microsort searchs give any indication
of what this error code means. I tried rebooting & then reinstalling this
failed update as well as the list of suggestions, except for trying SAFE
Mode, in kb/910339 without any success.

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
posting to this newsgroup.

1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title). After running
the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
manually using the download links on the page.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jeaqc wrote:
> 2 Problems: 1) for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the Windows Update Manager asks
> for Disk 1 every time I log on to Windows. What does this refer to? (It
> takes 5-6 tries to bypass this sequence of requests)
> 2) 2 hours ago I tried to check for missing updates. According to Update
> Histroy Lorg All MS updates for the past 6 months were successful. I then
> tried a new update and received a message that update KB951847 failed with
> an Error Code of 0x643. Neither Google nor Microsort searchs give any
> indication of what this error code means. I tried rebooting & then
> reinstalling this failed update as well as the list of suggestions, except
> for trying SAFE Mode, in kb/910339 without any success.

jeaqc

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
Thank-you so far. I have WinXP SP3 installed on a Gateway 700GR Desktop with
1GB of physicsl memory available to Windows. I found the
%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder via the RUN Command. There is one
3.5 folder but I don't know how to tell if 3.5 SP1 is installed. The latest
entry in the \logs folder is dated 3/25/2008. I checked the last 40 MS
updates back to 10/4/08 without seeing any mention of .Net Framework updates.
Is there any any faster way to ck for the SP to version 3.5?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title). After running
> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
> manually using the download links on the page.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jeaqc wrote:
> > 2 Problems: 1) for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the Windows Update Manager asks
> > for Disk 1 every time I log on to Windows. What does this refer to? (It
> > takes 5-6 tries to bypass this sequence of requests)
> > 2) 2 hours ago I tried to check for missing updates. According to Update
> > Histroy Lorg All MS updates for the past 6 months were successful. I then
> > tried a new update and received a message that update KB951847 failed with
> > an Error Code of 0x643. Neither Google nor Microsort searchs give any
> > indication of what this error code means. I tried rebooting & then
> > reinstalling this failed update as well as the list of suggestions, except
> > for trying SAFE Mode, in kb/910339 without any success.

jeaqc

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
It looks like my intermediate reply got lost, so I am resending up to ****

I have WinXP SP# running on a Gateway 700GR Desktop. Using the RUN command,
I found one .Net Framework with version 3.5 . How far back will I have to
uninstall .Net Framework Folders in order to be able in successfully instal
..Net Framework updates without getting more 0x643 errors?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title). After running
> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
> manually using the download links on the page.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jeaqc wrote:
> > 2 Problems: 1) for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the Windows Update Manager asks
> > for Disk 1 every time I log on to Windows. What does this refer to? (It
> > takes 5-6 tries to bypass this sequence of requests)
> > 2) 2 hours ago I tried to check for missing updates. According to Update
> > Histroy Lorg All MS updates for the past 6 months were successful. I then
> > tried a new update and received a message that update KB951847 failed with
> > an Error Code of 0x643. Neither Google nor Microsort searchs give any
> > indication of what this error code means. I tried rebooting & then
> > reinstalling this failed update as well as the list of suggestions, except
> > for trying SAFE Mode, in kb/910339 without any success.

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
KB318785 tells you how to determine which version(s) of .NET Framework are
installed. KB923100 gives you two methods of removing all .NET Framework
versions (I'd recommend Method 2) and links to download/install the one(s)
you'll need to reinstall. See previous reply, please.

Also note that KB923100 gives you a link to no-charge support.
--
~PA Bear

jeaqc wrote:
> Thank-you so far. I have WinXP SP3 installed on a Gateway 700GR Desktop
> with
> 1GB of physicsl memory available to Windows. I found the
> %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder via the RUN Command. There is
> one
> 3.5 folder but I don't know how to tell if 3.5 SP1 is installed. The
> latest
> entry in the \logs folder is dated 3/25/2008. I checked the last 40 MS
> updates back to 10/4/08 without seeing any mention of .Net Framework
> updates. Is there any any faster way to ck for the SP to version 3.5?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>>
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>> whether service packs have been applied
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>>
>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title). After running
>> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
>> manually using the download links on the page.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> jeaqc wrote:
>>> 2 Problems: 1) for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the Windows Update Manager
>>> asks
>>> for Disk 1 every time I log on to Windows. What does this refer to? (It
>>> takes 5-6 tries to bypass this sequence of requests)
>>> 2) 2 hours ago I tried to check for missing updates. According to Update
>>> Histroy Lorg All MS updates for the past 6 months were successful. I
>>> then
>>> tried a new update and received a message that update KB951847 failed
>>> with
>>> an Error Code of 0x643. Neither Google nor Microsort searchs give any
>>> indication of what this error code means. I tried rebooting & then
>>> reinstalling this failed update as well as the list of suggestions,
>>> except
>>> for trying SAFE Mode, in kb/910339 without any success.

prattjo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
I am using Vista Business.

KB951847 fails with error code 643.

I tried to apply:

>> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>>
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>> whether service packs have been applied
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied
>>
>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>> When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603" (ignore the title). After running
>> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
>> manually using the download links on the page.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop

It didn't help the update still fails. Before trying this I had framework 1 SP3 1.1 SP1 and 3.5. (also framework 2 and 3 as part of Vista) after doing what was suggested I installed 1 SP3 and 1.1 SP1 but I cannot even install 3.5. I tried installing by setup and the whole package too.

Is there anything else I can do except reinstall Vista? I also tried the SFC to find and correct missing system files. I might go back to XP if I must reinstall. This same KB installed without any problems on my other computer which has XP PRO. Thanks

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
See your Support options in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

prattjo wrote:
> I am using Vista Business.
>
> KB951847 fails with error code 643.
>
> I tried to apply:
>
>>> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>>>
>>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>>> whether service packs have been applied
>>> 'How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed

> and whether service packs have been applied'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785)
>>>
>>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>>> 'When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1,

> 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code \"0x643\" or
> Windows Installer error code \"1603\"'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100) (ignore the title). After
> running
>>> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
>>> manually using the download links on the page.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop

> It didn't help the update still fails. Before trying this I had
> framework 1 SP3 1.1 SP1 and 3.5. (also framework 2 and 3 as part of
> Vista) after doing what was suggested I installed 1 SP3 and 1.1 SP1 but
> I cannot even install 3.5. I tried installing by setup and the whole
> package too.
>
> Is there anything else I can do except reinstall Vista? I also tried
> the SFC to find and correct missing system files. I might go back to XP
> if I must reinstall. This same KB installed without any problems on my
> other computer which has XP PRO. Thanks

prattjo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
See your Support options in When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603"

It seems you havn't read what I wrote. I have already tried KB923100. It didn't help my situation is worse I cannot reinstall Framework 3.5 without SP which I had berfore. Is there somthing else I can do?

prattjo wrote:
> I am using Vista Business.
>
> KB951847 fails with error code 643.
>
> I tried to apply:
>
>>> 1. Write down the .NET Framework versions which are already installed:
>>>
>>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>>> whether service packs have been applied
>>> 'How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed

> and whether service packs have been applied'
> (How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied)
>>>
>>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>>> 'When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1,

> 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code \"0x643\" or
> Windows Installer error code \"1603\"'
> (When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603") (ignore the title). After
> running
>>> the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install all .NET Framework versions
>>> manually using the download links on the page.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop

> It didn't help the update still fails. Before trying this I had
> framework 1 SP3 1.1 SP1 and 3.5. (also framework 2 and 3 as part of
> Vista) after doing what was suggested I installed 1 SP3 and 1.1 SP1 but
> I cannot even install 3.5. I tried installing by setup and the whole
> package too.
>
> Is there anything else I can do except reinstall Vista? I also tried
> the SFC to find and correct missing system files. I might go back to XP
> if I must reinstall. This same KB installed without any problems on my
> other computer which has XP PRO. Thanks

Thanks for your help

Re: KB951847 failed with Error Code: 0x643
> It seems you havn't read what I wrote.

Ditto.

<QP>
If you have problems with the resolution in this article, no-charge support
is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by
contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how
to contact your local Microsoft subidiary for security update support
issues, visit the International Support Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Enterprise customers can obtain support for security updates through their
usual support contacts.
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
--