Re: 0x8007F0F1 for KB961260

[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

0x8007F0F1 = STATUS_INCOMPARABLE_BRANCHES

Assuming SP3 installed properly (doubtful), I think you've still got (much)
more work to do to clear up that infection, lynxcat.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

lynxcat wrote:
> Running XP 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 : Service Pack 3)
>
> Had infection, which was removed, during which Windows called for the SP3
> CD
> to recover files that had been changed or deleted. Did not have CD as SP3
> was downloaded from Update, so went to Update and manually downloaded and
> installed SP3 (successfully). Automatic Updates has been trying to
> install
> KB961260 for days but unsuccessfully with the subject error code. Went to
> Online Assisted Support, shared Desktop, and they tried to install
> KB961260
> (unsuccessfully), finally concluding that KB961260 was not for XP with IE7
> and to ignore it. However, Update insists that KB961260 is needed and
> continues to attempt installation. Ideas?

lynxcat

Re: 0x8007F0F1 for KB961260
Thank you for your response. I have similar suspicions regarding SP3
installation. You have given me much homework (which may be beyond my
capabilities) and will be traveling for a few days but will report, soon.
FYI, SpySweeper and TrendMicro believe the system is clean after cleanup by,
dare I say, BestBuy G.S. But, I have noted your advice on seeking more
professional help. I take it that KB961260 is a legitimate update for my
system?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> 0x8007F0F1 = STATUS_INCOMPARABLE_BRANCHES
>
> Assuming SP3 installed properly (doubtful), I think you've still got (much)
> more work to do to clear up that infection, lynxcat.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> lynxcat wrote:
> > Running XP 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 : Service Pack 3)
> >
> > Had infection, which was removed, during which Windows called for the SP3
> > CD
> > to recover files that had been changed or deleted. Did not have CD as SP3
> > was downloaded from Update, so went to Update and manually downloaded and
> > installed SP3 (successfully). Automatic Updates has been trying to
> > install
> > KB961260 for days but unsuccessfully with the subject error code. Went to
> > Online Assisted Support, shared Desktop, and they tried to install
> > KB961260
> > (unsuccessfully), finally concluding that KB961260 was not for XP with IE7
> > and to ignore it. However, Update insists that KB961260 is needed and
> > continues to attempt installation. Ideas?

Re: 0x8007F0F1 for KB961260
KB961260 (AKA MS09-002) is the most recent Cumulative Security Update for
Internet Explorer 7. It was released on 10 Feb-09 and should have been
installed by Automatic Updates by now.

NB: The Bad Guys have already begun taking advantage of the vulnerability on
unpatched systems! See
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...-the-wild.aspx

I would not consider the machine safe enough to be connected to the internet
or any networks in its current state, so if it's a laptop and you were
planning on taking it with you on your travels, you'd better think twice.
--
~PA Bear

lynxcat wrote:
> Thank you for your response. I have similar suspicions regarding SP3
> installation. You have given me much homework (which may be beyond my
> capabilities) and will be traveling for a few days but will report, soon.
> FYI, SpySweeper and TrendMicro believe the system is clean after cleanup
> by,
> dare I say, BestBuy G.S. But, I have noted your advice on seeking more
> professional help. I take it that KB961260 is a legitimate update for my
> system?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> 0x8007F0F1 = STATUS_INCOMPARABLE_BRANCHES
>>
>> Assuming SP3 installed properly (doubtful), I think you've still got
>> (much)
>> more work to do to clear up that infection, lynxcat.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> lynxcat wrote:
>>> Running XP 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 : Service Pack 3)
>>>
>>> Had infection, which was removed, during which Windows called for the
>>> SP3
>>> CD
>>> to recover files that had been changed or deleted. Did not have CD as
>>> SP3
>>> was downloaded from Update, so went to Update and manually downloaded
>>> and
>>> installed SP3 (successfully). Automatic Updates has been trying to
>>> install
>>> KB961260 for days but unsuccessfully with the subject error code. Went
>>> Online Assisted Support, shared Desktop, and they tried to install
>>> KB961260
>>> (unsuccessfully), finally concluding that KB961260 was not for XP with
>>> IE7
>>> and to ignore it. However, Update insists that KB961260 is needed and
>>> continues to attempt installation. Ideas?

lynxcat

Re: 0x8007F0F1 for KB961260
The Toshiba A105-S4014 laptop was kept offline and for peace of mind upon
returning home, the hard drive was finally nuked after backing up certain
data files. Software was re-installed, all updates ran smoothly (including
KB961260) and machine runs much faster. Next time (shudder), I'll call
Orkin. Thanks again for your help.