XP Service Pack 2 Installation hangs...

garth66

XP Service Pack 2 Installation hangs...
I've recently reformatted my laptop and reinstalled XP Pro. When I go to the
Windows Update site and try to download and install XP service pack 2 the
download completes, but when it attempts to install the package the "Windows
XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard" says it's inspecting the current
configuration, and under Details it says "Checking product key" and it hangs.
Nothing else happens. Nothing is installed.
Engel

RE: XP Service Pack 2 Installation hangs...
Hello Garth,

See if anything here helps.

Error message during the "Finalizing Installation" phase when you try to
upgrade to Windows XP: "setup cannot copy file"
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915161>

Error message that you receive when you try to update a Windows XP-based
computer to Windows XP Service Pack 2 by visiting the Windows Update Web
site: "Unable to read from or write to database"
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915169>

Cannot install Service Pack 2
<http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2>

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install
Windows XP Service Pack 2
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873148>

"Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
<http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125>

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx>
and
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835935>
Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 2

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837783>
HD requirements for SP2

SP2 CD can be ordered online.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx>

References at Microsoft on removal of XP SP2:

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350>

How to help protect your computer if you decide to remove Windows XP Service
Pack 2
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=878454>

See Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices
<http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16>

Good to read,
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
<http://winhlp.com/node/125>

A Microsoft web site dedicated to Service Pack 2:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center
<http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=windowsxpsp2>

God luck
-=-

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"garth66" wrote:

> I've recently reformatted my laptop and reinstalled XP Pro. When I go to the
> Windows Update site and try to download and install XP service pack 2 the
> download completes, but when it attempts to install the package the "Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard" says it's inspecting the current
> configuration, and under Details it says "Checking product key" and it hangs.
> Nothing else happens. Nothing is installed.

Peter

Re: XP Service Pack 2 Installation hangs...
Why SP2 when SP3 is the latest? You'll save yourself a lot of work.

Disable any anti-virus you have installed as that will stymie it.

There is free telephone support for any Windows Update issue.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP3 x 2, Vista Ult SP1, Windows 7 Ult 7000
"garth66" <garth66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently reformatted my laptop and reinstalled XP Pro. When I go to
> the
> Windows Update site and try to download and install XP service pack 2 the
> download completes, but when it attempts to install the package the
> "Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard" says it's inspecting the current
> configuration, and under Details it says "Checking product key" and it
> hangs.
> Nothing else happens. Nothing is installed.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 090218-0, 18/02/2009
> Tested on: 19/02/2009 9:49:28 AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090218-0, 18/02/2009
Tested on: 19/02/2009 9:53:07 AM

Re: XP Service Pack 2 Installation hangs...
Are you now running WinXP Gold (no SPs) or WinXP SP1(a)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/