Satellite Internet Woes

jrjacobs

Satellite Internet Woes

For Internet I have Hughes net.
I live out in a rural area and have no other option except dial-up
Hughes allows 200MB in 24 hours. If I exceed this I am shut off for 24
hours.

Not a problem EXCEPT Microsoft doesn't follow these limits. The NET 3.5
critical update was 215MB and XP SP3 was 300MB.
Add to this I run 3 computers on my net ( 3 XP (mine, my son's and my
wife's) and a 2003 Enterprise server) so any update over 50MB kills me.

Hughes allows for unlimited downloads between 3:00am and 6:00am Eastern
time (2:00am and 5:00am Central time where I live).

So....
How can I completely turn OFF Windows update (including the hidden
critical updates MS seems to foist upon us regardless of settings) from
5:00am until 2:00am, and turn it ON unlimited from 2:00am to 5:00am?

A script, a reg-hack, or a scheduler fix would be best. I can't be the
only one the only one the affects so can anyone help?

--
jrjacobs
jrjacobs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jrjacobs.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Satellite Internet Woes
To Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

To Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jrjacobs wrote:
> For Internet I have Hughes net.
> I live out in a rural area and have no other option except dial-up
> Hughes allows 200MB in 24 hours. If I exceed this I am shut off for 24
> hours.
>
> Not a problem EXCEPT Microsoft doesn't follow these limits. The NET 3.5
> critical update was 215MB and XP SP3 was 300MB.
> Add to this I run 3 computers on my net ( 3 XP (mine, my son's and my
> wife's) and a 2003 Enterprise server) so any update over 50MB kills me.
>
> Hughes allows for unlimited downloads between 3:00am and 6:00am Eastern
> time (2:00am and 5:00am Central time where I live).
>
> So....
> How can I completely turn OFF Windows update (including the hidden
> critical updates MS seems to foist upon us regardless of settings) from
> 5:00am until 2:00am, and turn it ON unlimited from 2:00am to 5:00am?
>
> A script, a reg-hack, or a scheduler fix would be best. I can't be the
> only one the only one the affects so can anyone help?

jrjacobs

Re: Satellite Internet Woes

Thank you. I have done that. What I am looking for is a script or batch
so I can schedule it as an event that will turn on and off based on the
time of day

--
jrjacobs
jrjacobs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jrjacobs.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1122773.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Michael Jennings

Re: Satellite Internet Woes
Most broadband routers have a time function. If you got one
you could set it to connect from 2am to 5am and turn on AU
when you go to bed at some time when you've told the router
to not connect to the Internet. You can find the AU switch in
the security center. If you don't want a router, try this:

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance >
Scheduled Tasks > double click Add Scheduled Task > Next >
wait a long while for the wizard to find everything that could be
scheduled > scroll down to Windows Update > select frequency >
select day and time > continue and find out what happens. WU
demands a few responses from you, most likely, and there is no
provision to schedule for the second Tuesday of every month.
You could set the date each month and get up at 2am that night.

Microsoft is pretty good (not perfect) about 2nd Tuesdays only.

"jrjacobs" <jrjacobs.3nmcfc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thank you. I have done that. What I am looking for is a script or batch
> so I can schedule it as an event that will turn on and off based on the
> time of day

jrjacobs decided it would be foolish to include the following:
[...]

OK, Thanks. I've set it up to run at 2:00am until 5:00am
How do I keep it from running at other times though?

--
jrjacobs
jrjacobs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jrjacobs.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1122773.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Satellite Internet Woes
jrjacobs wrote:

> So....
> How can I completely turn OFF Windows update (including the hidden
> critical updates MS seems to foist upon us regardless of settings) from
> 5:00am until 2:00am, and turn it ON unlimited from 2:00am to 5:00am?

You may be able to do this via group policy, depending on your operating system.
Windows Update uses BITS to download data, and there are BITS group policy
settings to allow you to set maximum bandwidth based on the time-of-day. If you
set the maximum to zero, BITS (and hence Windows Update) will turn off.

Harry.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Satellite Internet Woes

"jrjacobs" <jrjacobs.3nmvve@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:jrjacobs.3nmvve@DoNotSpam.com...

> OK, Thanks. I've set it up to run at 2:00am until 5:00am
> How do I keep it from running at other times though?

I don't think it's wuauserv that is your problem
as much as bits.

E.g. using bitsadmin /suspend and /resume you could
allow a big download to occur in pieces. At one point
I think that right-clicking the AU icon was sufficient to do
that without resorting to bitsadmin but I haven't seen it
available lately. However, I am no longer on dial-up
so that may have something to do with that observation. ; )

You could also do net stop bits I suppose but I suspect
that wouldn't be enough because wuauserv would just
restart it. In that case I would try in addition to see if
disabling the bits service would prevent that from happening.

The commands then to do that would be:

sc.exe config bits start= disabled
net stop bits

and then to restart it:

sc.exe config bits start= demand

and let wuauserv figure out that it was available again. <eg>

Note: I do not have any idea what the consequences
would be of interrupting a download which was already
in progress with the above commands. I suspect they
would be a more severe interruption than a simple
/suspend so who knows what kind of checkpoint you
might end up with as a result? E.g. it's possible that
you might have to restart from the beginning each time.
That's why I would concentrate on the /suspend /resume
approach.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---