XP service pack 3.5 update

Dissappointed

XP service pack 3.5 update
I hope you realize how vast this problem really is. Anyone who has downloaded
this SP 3.5 can no longer download any new software. Millions have lost the
ability to do their tax returns because of this. I actually took my system to
a technician to try to repair this problem with no benifit only an expensive
bill. I hope a repair or fix will be released very soon. Thanks Dissappointed
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP service pack 3.5 update
Dissappointed wrote:
> I hope you realize how vast this problem really is. Anyone who has
> downloaded this SP 3.5 can no longer download any new software.
> Millions have lost the ability to do their tax returns because of
> this. I actually took my system to a technician to try to repair
> this problem with no benifit only an expensive bill. I hope a
> repair or fix will be released very soon. Thanks Dissappointed

I hope you realize you are incorrect, not only about what you say but even
in the words you choose to say it with. I am unsure why 'millions' would
lose their ability to do their tax returns because of a problem with their
computer (computers may be handy - but they are certainly not required to do
simple mathematics and/or utilize basic writing skills.) Sounds to me like
you took your computer to someone incapable of repairing your problem, yet
somehow still chose to pay them. If they are the one who fed you whatever
falsehoods you now believe in (and thus how they got you to pay them for
supposedly fixing nothing) - that is your mistake - one you likely should
correct.

Now - if you would like assistance with your problem - please - specify and
clarify things.

- What operating system are you running (exactly - Windows XP what? What
service pack version?)
- This update that you believe caused some sort of trouble - two things:
- What specific KB###### is associated with it and the full name...
- What 'trouble' did it cause?
- What does your inability (if this is your problem) to download/install
Windows updates have to do with doing your income taxes?

I do have suggestions, based off the little you have given...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer:

Reboot.

Log on as a user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

If it seemed to have failed, do this:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: XP service pack 3.5 update

"Dissappointed" <Dissappointed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope you realize how vast this problem really is. Anyone who has downloaded
> this SP 3.5 can no longer download any new software.

> Millions have lost the ability to do their tax returns because of this.

Oh? What are your symptoms there? Do you have a site that uses
..NET 3.5? Or is this just another site that has trouble parsing a
slightly longer User-Agent string? If so, have you tried using a
different browser or tried changing your User-Agent string
to something minimal so the deficient parser won't choke?

http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

> I actually took my system to
> a technician to try to repair this problem with no benifit only an expensive
> bill. I hope a repair or fix will be released very soon. Thanks Dissappointed

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Susan Bradley

Re: XP service pack 3.5 update
Dissappointed wrote:
> I hope you realize how vast this problem really is. Anyone who has downloaded
> this SP 3.5 can no longer download any new software. Millions have lost the
> ability to do their tax returns because of this. I actually took my system to
> a technician to try to repair this problem with no benifit only an expensive
> bill. I hope a repair or fix will be released very soon. Thanks Dissappointed

I'm a CPA.

What tax software is impacted?
Do you mean .net 3.5?

Can you be more specific please?
Rick

Re: XP service pack 3.5 update
Dissappointed wrote:
> I hope you realize how vast this problem really is. Anyone who has downloaded
> this SP 3.5 can no longer download any new software. Millions have lost the
> ability to do their tax returns because of this. I actually took my system to
> a technician to try to repair this problem with no benifit only an expensive
> bill. I hope a repair or fix will be released very soon. Thanks Dissappointed

The above statement is the silliest thing I have heard to day. Why I
would seriously question the technical ability of the Technician you
took your computer to. I would demand my money back.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND