Has monthly update install routine changed?

RoseW

Has monthly update install routine changed?
On two Xp machines (Xp home and XpPro64) the System Distribution/reporting
events. log listed that x# of updates had been identified. There was no icon
in the system tray. When the machine was shut down THEN at the choices
dialog box had the message Install now before shutting down, or don't
install now.
Is this the routine that is the procedure now?
If a user doesn't shut down their machine at the end of the day then there
is no message to indicate that security updates are waiting to install. I
just happened to check the reportingevents.log out of curiousity since the
first week of the month had passed by and I wondered what was happening with
updates. The message "to install now"was still a little bit of a surprise
although during install a message kept flashing that the machine would be
shut down automatically.

RoseW

--
http://rwgallery.gogax.com

John

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?

"RoseW" <wdmn@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote in message
> On two Xp machines (Xp home and XpPro64) the System Distribution/reporting
> events. log listed that x# of updates had been identified. There was no
> icon
> in the system tray.

That is correct default behavior. Only Administrators (when logged on) are
notified.

> When the machine was shut down THEN at the choices
> dialog box had the message Install now before shutting down, or don't
> install now.

That is also correct default behavior.

> Is this the routine that is the procedure now?

AFAIK it's been that way for years.

> If a user doesn't shut down their machine at the end of the day then there
> is no message to indicate that security updates are waiting to install. I

No there won't be any but if the machine is left running 24/7, new updates
will be installed at scheduled day/time if Automatic Update is set to
install everyday at certain time.

> just happened to check the reportingevents.log out of curiousity since the
> first week of the month had passed by and I wondered what was happening
> with
> updates.

FYI, new updates are normally released on the second Tuesday of the month.
This month it falls on Feb 10.

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?
Nothing's changed; cf.
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...c-reboots.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RoseW wrote:
> On two Xp machines (Xp home and XpPro64) the System Distribution/reporting
> events. log listed that x# of updates had been identified. There was no
> icon
> in the system tray. When the machine was shut down THEN at the choices
> dialog box had the message Install now before shutting down, or don't
> install now.
> Is this the routine that is the procedure now?
> If a user doesn't shut down their machine at the end of the day then there
> is no message to indicate that security updates are waiting to install. I
> just happened to check the reportingevents.log out of curiousity since the
> first week of the month had passed by and I wondered what was happening
> with
> updates. The message "to install now"was still a little bit of a surprise
> although during install a message kept flashing that the machine would be
> shut down automatically.
>
> RoseW

furutani

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?
I have same problem with my computer.(Windows XP Pro.SP3.Language-Japanese)

> That is correct default behavior. Only Administrators (when logged on) are
> notified.

I use this computer as administrators, but there is no icon in the system
tray
and when I try to shut down my computer, dialog box had the message
"Install now before shutting down".

Last mounth I saw the Microsoft Update icon in the system tray.
I choose automatic updates option as "Download update but let me choose
whether to install them".
I think I didn't change any setups.

Could you tell me how can I set the icon shows up?

C Furutani
Robert Aldwinckle

"furutani" <furutani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50A8AF57-EBA2-4A49-89C0-3A2494C25235@microsoft.com...
>I have same problem with my computer.(Windows XP Pro.SP3.Language-Japanese)
>
>> That is correct default behavior. Only Administrators (when logged on) are
>> notified.

> I use this computer as administrators, but there is no icon in the system
> tray
> and when I try to shut down my computer, dialog box had the message
> "Install now before shutting down".

I have seen that symptom when WU still has stuff to download.
Use bitsadmin to check on that possibility.

> Last mounth I saw the Microsoft Update icon in the system tray.
> I choose automatic updates option as "Download update but let me choose
> whether to install them".
> I think I didn't change any setups.
>

> Could you tell me how can I set the icon shows up?

Let the updates install? <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?
Also related:
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx &
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u...t/default.aspx

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "furutani" <furutani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have same problem with my computer.(Windows XP
>> Pro.SP3.Language-Japanese)
>>
>>> That is correct default behavior. Only Administrators (when logged on)
>>> are
>>> notified.

>> I use this computer as administrators, but there is no icon in the system
>> tray
>> and when I try to shut down my computer, dialog box had the message
>> "Install now before shutting down".

> I have seen that symptom when WU still has stuff to download.
> Use bitsadmin to check on that possibility.
>

>> Last mounth I saw the Microsoft Update icon in the system tray.
>> I choose automatic updates option as "Download update but let me choose
>> whether to install them".
>> I think I didn't change any setups.
>>

>> Could you tell me how can I set the icon shows up?

> Let the updates install? <eg>
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

John

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?

"furutani" <furutani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use this computer as administrators, but there is no icon in the system
> tray

My guess is Automatic Update has not finished downloading updates. When
download completes there will be an icon in the system tray telling you that
new updates are ready to install. This icon won't show until all updates are
downloaded.

> and when I try to shut down my computer, dialog box had the message
> "Install now before shutting down".

Perhaps some but not all updates are already downloaded onto your PC.

"John" <a> wrote in message news:OO7biagjJHA.4372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "furutani" <furutani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I use this computer as administrators, but there is no icon in the system
>> tray

> My guess is Automatic Update has not finished downloading updates. When
> download completes there will be an icon in the system tray telling you
> that new updates are ready to install. This icon won't show until all
> updates are downloaded.

CORRECTION:
The (Automatice Update) icon is there while download is in progress but
system tray pop up message won't be there until download reaches 100%.

Robert Aldwinckle

"John" <a> wrote in message news:%23xLs4fgjJHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> CORRECTION:
> The (Automatice Update) icon is there while download is in progress but system tray pop up message won't be there until download
> reaches 100%.

That was implied by my bitsadmin suggestion.
Have you tried that in this state to confirm my observation?

---

furutani

Re: Has monthly update install routine changed?
Thank you All,

> Perhaps some but not all updates are already downloaded onto your PC.

> That was implied by my bitsadmin suggestion.
> Have you tried that in this state to confirm my observation?

I check up my updates task and I found 1 of 5 updates is still
remaining and didn't endup with an hour or so.
I installed the patch(remaining) from "update.microsoft.com"
and restart my computer then taskbar icon is appear.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.

c furutani