KB961260 failed

Calipso

KB961260 failed
Hi,

I tried to install KB961260 through WindowsUpdate. Installation went
smoothly ,
but when I reboioted computer I got the blue screen. System Repair fixed the
problem, I managed to boot computer. Then I went to UpdateHistory, it says
update failed with error code 800F0816.
Can sobebody suggest something ?

Thanks !
Engel

RE: KB961260 failed
Hello Calipso,

When posting to this Newsgяoup it is requested that you at least provide us
with details of the operating system you are using including Service Pack
level.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>
-=-

See if this thяead helps.

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=0x800706BA&lang=en&cr=US&guid= &sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=c8754 d7b-1896-4136-a65b-fef4d36d9596&mid=c8754d7b-1896-4136-a65b-fef4d36d9596>

or

I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.
Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
security-patch related issues. This help extends to spyware removal as well.

If you /clearly/ state that a specific update has caused problems and don't
ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support for the
issue.

Good luck
-=-

"Calipso" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install KB961260 through WindowsUpdate. Installation went
> smoothly ,
> but when I reboioted computer I got the blue screen. System Repair fixed the
> problem, I managed to boot computer. Then I went to UpdateHistory, it says
> update failed with error code 800F0816.
> Can sobebody suggest something ?
>
> Thanks !

Re: KB961260 failed
What's "System Repair"?

I think you'd best...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB961260).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
(which is 47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Calipso wrote:
> I tried to install KB961260 through WindowsUpdate. Installation went
> smoothly ,
> but when I reboioted computer I got the blue screen. System Repair fixed
> the
> problem, I managed to boot computer. Then I went to UpdateHistory, it says
> update failed with error code 800F0816.
> Can sobebody suggest something ?
>
> Thanks !

Sue J Thomas

Re: KB961260 failed
I had to re-install this update several times until it 'took'.
Got no error messages, it was just offerred to me several times and only d/l
and did not install until the 3rd or 4th time. My system: xp pro sp2; ie7.
Sue
"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Calipso,
>
> When posting to this Newsgяoup it is requested that you at least provide
> us
> with details of the operating system you are using including Service Pack
> level.
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>
> -=-
>

> See if this thяead helps.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=0x800706BA&lang=en&cr=US&guid= &sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=c8754 d7b-1896-4136-a65b-fef4d36d9596&mid=c8754d7b-1896-4136-a65b-fef4d36d9596>
>
> or
>
> I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.
> Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
> support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
> security-patch related issues. This help extends to spyware removal as
> well.
>
> If you /clearly/ state that a specific update has caused problems and
> don't
> ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support for the
> issue.
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "Calipso" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install KB961260 through WindowsUpdate. Installation went
>> smoothly ,
>> but when I reboioted computer I got the blue screen. System Repair fixed
>> the
>> problem, I managed to boot computer. Then I went to UpdateHistory, it
>> says
>> update failed with error code 800F0816.
>> Can sobebody suggest something ?
>>
>> Thanks !

Calipso

Re: KB961260 failed
I am sorry for not providing enough information.
OS - Vista-64 Business with SP1 installed.

SystemRepair - this is the tool provided by Vista I guess ?
If you can't boot your computer at startup it offers to restore the system
to a prev. good state.

What puzzles me the most - yesterday after repairing the system,
WindowsUpdate offered to install IE security pack again, which makes sense
since system has been reverted to previous state. I tried to install IE7
pack a few times yesterday, after each instrall-fail-restore round I got
KB961260 showing up again and again in the ""ViewAvaialableUpdates" dialog.
BUT
By this morning it's magically gone from the list of updates in
"ViewAvailableUpdates". Completely.
I checked "updateshistory", all yesterday's attempts failed, but KB961260 is
not available anymore in "WindowsUpdates". What is that ?

I BTW tried to submit support request to MS yesterday through support
website. I went through all steps, filled all forms and on the final steps
when I had to click "submit" MS web site booted my out with "page is not
available". LOL
I will try to call them today.
Thanks everybody for your help.

Re: KB961260 failed
Is KB961620 now listed in Installed Updates?

Calipso wrote:
> I am sorry for not providing enough information.
> OS - Vista-64 Business with SP1 installed.
>
> SystemRepair - this is the tool provided by Vista I guess ?
> If you can't boot your computer at startup it offers to restore the system
> to a prev. good state.
>
> What puzzles me the most - yesterday after repairing the system,
> WindowsUpdate offered to install IE security pack again, which makes sense
> since system has been reverted to previous state. I tried to install IE7
> pack a few times yesterday, after each instrall-fail-restore round I got
> KB961260 showing up again and again in the ""ViewAvaialableUpdates"
> dialog.
> BUT
> By this morning it's magically gone from the list of updates in
> "ViewAvailableUpdates". Completely.
> I checked "updateshistory", all yesterday's attempts failed, but KB961260
> is
> not available anymore in "WindowsUpdates". What is that ?
>
> I BTW tried to submit support request to MS yesterday through support
> website. I went through all steps, filled all forms and on the final steps
> when I had to click "submit" MS web site booted my out with "page is not
> available". LOL
> I will try to call them today.
> Thanks everybody for your help.

Calipso

Re: KB961260 failed
No ! That's what puzzles me.
In the "ViewUpdatesHistory" it is listed as "failed".
At the same time it is gone from the list of _available_ updates.
I have there malicious removal tool, office update and such, but no KB961260

Re: KB961260 failed
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

Calipso wrote:
> No ! That's what puzzles me.
> In the "ViewUpdatesHistory" it is listed as "failed".
> At the same time it is gone from the list of _available_ updates.
> I have there malicious removal tool, office update and such, but no
> KB961260

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Is KB961620 now listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Calipso wrote:
>> I am sorry for not providing enough information.
>> OS - Vista-64 Business with SP1 installed.
>>
>> SystemRepair - this is the tool provided by Vista I guess ?
>> If you can't boot your computer at startup it offers to restore the
>> system
>> to a prev. good state.
>>
>> What puzzles me the most - yesterday after repairing the system,
>> WindowsUpdate offered to install IE security pack again, which makes
>> sense
>> since system has been reverted to previous state. I tried to install IE7
>> pack a few times yesterday, after each instrall-fail-restore round I got
>> KB961260 showing up again and again in the ""ViewAvaialableUpdates"
>> dialog.
>> BUT
>> By this morning it's magically gone from the list of updates in
>> "ViewAvailableUpdates". Completely.
>> I checked "updateshistory", all yesterday's attempts failed, but KB961260
>> is
>> not available anymore in "WindowsUpdates". What is that ?
>>
>> I BTW tried to submit support request to MS yesterday through support
>> website. I went through all steps, filled all forms and on the final
>> steps
>> when I had to click "submit" MS web site booted my out with "page is not
>> available". LOL
>> I will try to call them today.
>> Thanks everybody for your help.

Calipso

Re: KB961260 failed
Thanks, I have sent a support request and am waiting for response from
Microsoft

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB961260).
>
> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
> (which is 47830).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Calipso wrote:
> > No ! That's what puzzles me.
> > In the "ViewUpdatesHistory" it is listed as "failed".
> > At the same time it is gone from the list of _available_ updates.
> > I have there malicious removal tool, office update and such, but no
> > KB961260

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > Is KB961620 now listed in Installed Updates?
> >
> > Calipso wrote:
> >> I am sorry for not providing enough information.
> >> OS - Vista-64 Business with SP1 installed.
> >>
> >> SystemRepair - this is the tool provided by Vista I guess ?
> >> If you can't boot your computer at startup it offers to restore the
> >> system
> >> to a prev. good state.
> >>
> >> What puzzles me the most - yesterday after repairing the system,
> >> WindowsUpdate offered to install IE security pack again, which makes
> >> sense
> >> since system has been reverted to previous state. I tried to install IE7
> >> pack a few times yesterday, after each instrall-fail-restore round I got
> >> KB961260 showing up again and again in the ""ViewAvaialableUpdates"
> >> dialog.
> >> BUT
> >> By this morning it's magically gone from the list of updates in
> >> "ViewAvailableUpdates". Completely.
> >> I checked "updateshistory", all yesterday's attempts failed, but KB961260
> >> is
> >> not available anymore in "WindowsUpdates". What is that ?
> >>
> >> I BTW tried to submit support request to MS yesterday through support
> >> website. I went through all steps, filled all forms and on the final
> >> steps
> >> when I had to click "submit" MS web site booted my out with "page is not
> >> available". LOL
> >> I will try to call them today.
> >> Thanks everybody for your help.

Re: KB961260 failed