A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update

phoinix

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
thank you this works perfectly... i just had to remove the 2 subfolders
first... and then the main...

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.

Todd-1

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
The easiest way to delete anything that Windows won't let you delete is to
boot a different OS (e.g. GNU/Linux) from a live CD or flash drive and then
delete the file from there.

"Dale" wrote:

> Why is the associated .dll still being held ? This folder cannot be removed
> due to the following errror message?
>
> "Cannot delete filterpipelineprintproc.dll: Access is denied"
>
> Also if I attempt to unregister the .dll then I get this message:
>
> ---------------------------
> RegSvr32
> ---------------------------
> LoadLibrary("filterpipelineprintproc.dll") failed - The specified module
> could not be found."
>
> Can you please find a solution for this? I am seeing this at multiple
> client's sites and on many workstations.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 is a temporary folder which was placed on the HD
> > with the largest available space.
> >
> > What I think happens is, the update is downloaded and then extracted into
> > this temporary folder for installation.
> >
> > I updated with the full file and I found a similar file and just deleted it
> > without even thinking about it.
> >
> > For some reason, it (the update) didn't clean up after itself. Maybe when
> > the computer rebooted it didn't have access to the storage file for clean up.
> > Who knows.
> >
> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> >

> > "The_Hat" wrote:
> >
> > > I’m running Windows XP w/SP2.
> > > After a Windows Update installed KB951847 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
> > > Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 on my
> > > machine, I found the folder below on another storage drive in my machine and
> > > not the on the primary hard drive and root directory. The main folder has two
> > > subfolders and files as listed:
> > >
> > > Folder: ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2
> > > Folder: amd64
> > > Files: filterpipelineprintproc.dll
> > > msxpsdrv.cat
> > > msxpsdrv.inf
> > > msxpsinc.gpd
> > > msxpsinc.ppd
> > > mxdwdrv.dll
> > > xpssvcs.dll
> > > Folder: i386
> > > Files: filterpipelineprintproc.dll
> > > msxpsdrv.cat
> > > msxpsdrv.inf
> > > msxpsinc.gpd
> > > msxpsinc.ppd
> > > mxdwdrv.dll
> > > xpssvcs.dll
> > >
> > > Since this is only a storage drive, can the folders and files be deleted or
> > > is there a specific procedure for their removal?

brussel

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
I have the same problem as Micha. Please tell me how I can delete this folder.

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

darrincates

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Thanks Marc! - This worked for me too!

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.

aman

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Thanks Marc!!! Your solution worked perfectly, thankssss!!!

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

HLL HLL is offline

HLL is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Brussel and Micha:

I cannot see the option to disable "Use simple file sharing" either. But just by following "rambozo"'s way (in page 2), (in my opinion it is the simpliest way), you should be able to delete the folder. i.e. drag (move) the folder to the desktop and delete it there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brussel View Post

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

HLL HLL is offline

HLL is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Just follow rambozo's (in page 2 of this thread) two steps which is the easiest way but has been overlooked. I had the same problem as yours that I cannot see the security tab therefore I cannot disable the "simple file sharing" in my XP home edition. Most of the people in this thread does not address this. But anyway rambozo's method works! i.e. Just drag the folder to the desktop and delete it from there.
Dezo

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Thanks worked great so simple feel newbish for not thinking of it lol...tried
all the others first with no luck!!!

"Steve" wrote:

> Even simpler way to delete it is to create a new folder and drag the
> offending 'ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2' folder into it. Thus any permissions
> that it is inheriting will be now be parented by the folder you created (so
> you will have read/write permissions on it)
>
> then just delete the new folder.

Nick Martin

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
I found the most simplest of solutions, as none of the above worked.

My computer has been crashing and failing to load for a few weeks now and
starting to become a real pain..

I just went into the sharing properties of the folder, and allowed it to be
viewed and altered by third parties (other users) and then deleted it. Job
done!

Hope this works.

"Micha" wrote:

> Johnny, when I zip a folder, it creates the zipped folder in addition to the
> original. So the original remains unzipped and unable to be deleted.
>
> Marc, I don't have an option for "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)" and I am using XP SP2 as well...
>
> So I still have no idea how to remove this stubborn folder!!!

Patrick

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
' This is a sort of generic solution.
' Search all fixed disk drives (WHERE DriveType=3) for folders that
' have the i386\mxdwdrv.dll and amd64\mxdwdrv.dll, and delete them

Dim objFSO : Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim objWMI : Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\cimv2")
Dim colDrives : Set colDrives = objWMI.ExecQuery("SELECT * from
Win32_LogicalDisk WHERE DriveType='3'")
Dim objRoot, objFolder

For Each Drive in colDrives
Set objRoot = objFSO.GetFolder(Drive.Name & "\")

For Each objFolder in objRoot.Subfolders
If objFSO.FileExists(objFolder.Path & "\i386\mxdwdrv.dll") And
objFSO.FileExists(objFolder.Path & "\amd64\mxdwdrv.dll") Then
WScript.Echo "Purging folder: " & objFolder.Path
objFolder.Delete
End If
Next
Next