A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update

Donald

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Yes, this solution works well. Thanks Marc.

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

mrspar

Re: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
SDSpybot's Secure Shredder worked like a charm--thank you.

"janwm" wrote:

> There is another way which I found on the net and which is, I guess,
> quite simple. Just drop and drag these files (or whole subfolders)
> from the Explorer into SDSpybot's Secure Shredder (Advanced Mode -
> Tools) and remove them. After that you can delete the leftover folder.

stulpa

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
You can install cygwin, which is a linux shell emulator for windows... I
deleted the folder and files by changing the permissions from a cygwin shell.

"The_Hat" wrote:

> I’m running Windows XP w/SP2.
> After a Windows Update installed KB951847 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
> Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 on my
> machine, I found the folder below on another storage drive in my machine and
> not the on the primary hard drive and root directory. The main folder has two
> subfolders and files as listed:
>
> Folder: ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2
> Folder: amd64
> Files: filterpipelineprintproc.dll
> msxpsdrv.cat
> msxpsdrv.inf
> msxpsinc.gpd
> msxpsinc.ppd
> mxdwdrv.dll
> xpssvcs.dll
> Folder: i386
> Files: filterpipelineprintproc.dll
> msxpsdrv.cat
> msxpsdrv.inf
> msxpsinc.gpd
> msxpsinc.ppd
> mxdwdrv.dll
> xpssvcs.dll
>
> Since this is only a storage drive, can the folders and files be deleted or
> is there a specific procedure for their removal?

James Xue

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
I just do it as Marc's suggest,I work.thx.

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

okirishchik

"Mark" wrote:

> Here is the solution. Right click on that main folder with the long name
> .... click sharing and security ... check share this folder on the network
> box ..... give it a name .... apply. Now you can delete the folder and
> everything in it.

Finally something that worked! I tried everything here with nothing. This
stupid file was dumped on my external hard drive and it bugged me to see it
there. Harmless or not, I DONT WANT IT! And thankfully this simple method
worked for me. Thank you
Tina

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Thank you for the help Marc! It worked perfectly!

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this...

superniku

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
It really works, thx very much

"Marc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP2 and was able to delete the rouge folder this way:
>
> 1. Disable simple file sharing
> a. In the Control Panel, Select Folder Options, then select the View Tab
> b. Scroll down to the end and uncheck the box next to "Use simple file
> sharing (Recommended)"
> c. Click Apply, OK, and exit Control Panel.
>
> 2. Change permissions of rouge folder
> a. Navigate to the ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2 folder left behind from
> the .NET framework update
> b. Right click the folder, select Permissions, then select the Security tab
> c. Under the "Allow" column, click the first box for "Full Control". All
> the boxes (or at least most of them) will automatically get checked.
> d. Click Apply then OK.
>
> 3. Drag rouge folder to the Recycle Bin. This should delete without a
> problem. I told this solution to a friend and he had to go into the rouge
> folder and perform step #2 for both the folders present for some reason, but
> the end result was the same. The offending folder got deleted.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>

> "Juan" wrote:
>
> > It wont let me do anything to the files that are in the same folder as
> > filterpipelineprintproc.dll.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > ""Johnny" wrote:" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey my name is Johnny;
> > > I some how stumbled on a way to delete filterpiplineprintproc.dll.
> > > 1. Click folder with right mouse send to compressed zipped folder.
> > > 2. Delete compressed zipped folder.
> > > 3. Then send original filterpipelineprintproc.dll folder to recycling bin.
> > > HOPE IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE AS IT DID FOR ME.
> > > GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Steve

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
Even simpler way to delete it is to create a new folder and drag the
offending 'ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2' folder into it. Thus any permissions
that it is inheriting will be now be parented by the folder you created (so
you will have read/write permissions on it)

then just delete the new folder.

wega51

"Mark" wrote:

> Here is the solution. Right click on that main folder with the long name
> .... click sharing and security ... check share this folder on the network
> box ..... give it a name .... apply. Now you can delete the folder and
> everything in it.

Brilliant! Works also on XP home edition.

Thanks, wega51.
Lyngengr

RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
There is an easy way to delete this directory. You must be logged in as an
administrator to do this. Select the folder with a right-mouse click, and
then select the properties menu item (last one in the list). Click on the
Security tab (third one), select the Administrators group/user name, and then
in the permissions box click on "Full Control". Select the Apply button and
exit. Then you can delete the entire "ed798b66cbeb3a7b9bde9e55a9e2"
directory and subfolders/files.